Author Topic: Six-word stories  (Read 16318 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Six-word stories
« on: August 29, 2021, 06:00:01 AM »
I am sometimes fascinated by really really short writing, such as the six-word story (or, well, by the haiku). So here’s a place for that! Challenge yourself to write a six-word story that conveys a situation or a feeling and maks the reader to come up with the context.

A classic of the so called genre is: ”For sale: baby shoes, never worn” attributed to Hemingway although his authorship is unclear. But nevertheles it gives you an idea.

This thread is for our six-word stories as well as discussion and comments about them. Other microfiction includes the drabble (exactly 100 words) and it’s multiples double or triple drabble, the 50-word “dribble” or mini-saga, and the 280 characters or less long format originating from Twitter. Any interest? I know some of you have written SSSS drabbles at least!

As an aside, microfiction is a lot easier in Finnish! The above piece would fit into three words: “Myytävänä: vauvakengät, käyttämättömät”. So I was kind of hoping to find an existing format of a few more words than six, but apparently this is what has been named. Howver I suggest we allow a title of up to three words in addition to the six in the story proper. So, maybe give it a try?

Perhaps post your six-word story in bold and comments etc in normal text. Feel free to comment without coming up with a ”story” as well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:01:32 AM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: Six-word stories
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:03:53 AM »
So I’ll go first

Ever since, I’ve avoided all mirrors

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 06:15:03 AM »
Ooh, another writing challenge! Happy to participate. (One point, though: as with the haiku challenge, I might actually find this easier if there were some prompts. Just to prevent that whole 'blank page, so many choices' paralysis.)

Also, since you welcome discussion, I would like to throw in this EM Forster quote:

The king died and then the queen died is a story. The king died, and then queen died of grief is a plot.

I would like my six-word efforts to be more plot than story... But we will see.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 12:49:44 PM »
Challenge yourself to write a six-word story that conveys a situation or a feeling and maks the reader to come up with the context.
What?? Only six words? How in ... !?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
Birth, life, death, zombie apocalypse, undeath.

Sigh. That's more of a story than a plot.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
Who knew apocalypse is so satisfying?

Btw I started thinking about the titles and it can make a huge difference! I at least get very different images:

Ever since, I’v avoided al mirrors

Vs

Emil

Vs

The cleanser

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 01:29:51 PM »
Btw I started thinking about the titles and it can make a huge difference! I at least get very different images:

Ever since, I’v avoided al mirrors

Vs

Emil

Vs

The cleanser

Isn't that kinda cheating? Using titles to expand the context beyond what can be contained in six words is a bit like adding extra words to the story.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 02:18:54 PM »
It is, except that I set the rules and allowed titles :) But you are absolutely right, it’s not allowed in the format.

However I think the example goes to show how the story is actually created by the reader and not by the six words in themselves.

Deep breaths. You’re a ranger now.

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 02:51:33 PM »
It is, except that I set the rules and allowed titles :) But you are absolutely right, it’s not allowed in the format.

However I think the example goes to show how the story is actually created by the reader and not by the six words in themselves.

Deep breaths. You’re a ranger now.

Nice. I shall report for duty.

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 04:55:09 PM »
I had become what I despised.

Feels more like an opening or closing statement to a story rather than a story in and of itself though.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
Six words is really not much and I am not good at the poetry stuff but I try to do one:

never tell anybody what you are!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 02:46:54 AM »
Isn't that kinda cheating? Using titles to expand the context beyond what can be contained in six words is a bit like adding extra words to the story.
The kind of "cheating" I'd expect is to drop proper names that come from another well-known story (factual or not) and bring a boatload of context with them:

"Excalibur ... ! Hephaistos' Repairs feels honored, Sire!"

Goes without saying (pun intended). That also means that many readers will feel left out of the loop, and another thing I expect to see quite often is that the story prevents them thus feeling alienated by providing them with an in-story "buddy" who shares their ignorance and uncertainty.

Sun blissfully rose above better-prepared armies.

A classic of the so called genre is: ”For sale: baby shoes, never worn” attributed to Hemingway although his authorship is unclear. [...]
As an aside, microfiction is a lot easier in Finnish! The above piece would fit into three words: “Myytävänä: vauvakengät, käyttämättömät”.
(Can be put into three words in German as well, though I'm under the impression that it sounds more "natural" in a four-word variant (of several possible ones) ...)
(No, we would definitely not put this classified as a single word unless the newspaper charges an arm and a leg per word! :3 )
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 02:49:20 AM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 03:28:33 AM »
Those circles? Hmm. See, no circles.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 04:04:07 AM »
It’s lodged. Now you’ll never die!

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 05:49:42 AM »
You really shouldn't have done that.