Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 32901 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
Linebyline, don’t worry! It was unfortunate that Phantomarine went on hiatus right when we had it up, but it will be bak soon and I’m sure there will be discussion then! I haven’t had time for Suihira yet, I’m aoorry to say. But I will take a look!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Just a heads up that I'll post my comic for September on the weekend and haven't forgotten  ;D Some of my coworkers are off with covid so I've had an extra busy week covering!
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2022, 11:39:09 AM »
September is here, so I'd like to share my recommendation for the month!

Mystery Babylon (aka Kick Girl)

At the end of the Apocalypse, 1000 years ago, all of the demons were sealed away in “the Pit”… except for the Mystery Babylon, Kick Girl. Although her fellow demons are imprisoned, she seems intent on keeping the seal closed due to a promise she made long ago.

Kick Girl would love nothing more than to keep all the demons sealed away forever. The only trouble is that the annoying demonic cult insists on bringing them back! What the heck! Kick Girl has no choice but to recruit the only person who has a map to the holy seal... the naive, happy-go-lucky, and extremely annoying, Vestal priest named Zero. Ugh! Can this mismatched team save the world from a second Apocalypse? (Probably not.)

I love this webcomic for a lot of reasons and have been reading it for as long as I've been reading webcomics pretty much! :'D From the very start, it has so much energy in both the art and the story, and the author has just improved with time. The story has moved on quite a bit from the initial description, but the story is very coherent throughout, and I feel that the author has a decent idea of where the story is going even if the readers haven't quite got all the clues they need to figure out where that is!

The story doesn't spoon-feed the reader, and it takes a long time to build a proper understanding of the world and characters. Each chapter starts with a flashback and we are gradually learning what happened to bring the world and the characters to their current state. These flashbacks include superheroes, murder, video games and more, and I'm always excited to see what is revealed with each new scene. There's a bit of fighting and blood, some light swearing, and a handful of monsters, and one somewhat nastier depiction of a character who has suffered burns, but certainly nothing worse than we've seen in SSSS!

Spoiler: cool picture but creepy spider • show

The comic updates regularly on Mondays and I can legit not remember a missing week or hiatus in the whole time I've been reading, which is impressive as heck! We are currently on chapter twelve and there are just over 600 pages.

Content Warning
Self-harm - There is one scene in the comic where it is revealed that a character who has a small distinctive scar has inflicted it upon themselves and a second scene where we get a flashback of another character giving themselves a larger distinctive scar.
Abusive/toxic friendships - This starts becoming a theme around 3-4 chapters in but there are hints of it from the start.
This isn't a religious comic but does some biblical imagery (demons are from hell, there are angels and people with 'godly' powers, and there are a bunch of biblically derived names... some of which belonged to Marvel-esque superheroes back before the world came to an end sooooooo...  ;D ). The author isn't religious and the comic is neither mocking nor preachy, just using these very loosely for the story elements, but it might be something you don't want to jump into unawares.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 05:04:20 PM by Gwenno »

Roleplay doc

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2022, 03:11:39 PM »
Thanks Gwnno! Looks interesting and dynamic :)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #244 on: September 05, 2022, 04:01:03 AM »
Looks like fun.  Shall I change over the news?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #245 on: September 05, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
Looks like fun.  Shall I change over the news?

Good idea  ;D

Roleplay doc

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #246 on: September 09, 2022, 09:08:34 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing this, Gwenno! I'm sorry it doesn't work for me and I don't have much positive to say, but I'm sincerely glad you shared something that's meaningful to you! I'm a bit miffed at the author but I don't mean to tear down people who enjoy this comic.

After 27 pages, I can definitely see why you're enjoying the story! Kick's long-suffering exasperation is endearing despite her also being a super-powered know-it-all. (I vibe with her in a way I very much didn't with Alice Grove, for instance.) Zero has all the makings of a Reyniresque cinnamon roll.

But I've also seen enough to know I probably won't enjoy it.

It already didn't sound like my cup of tea from the description. Even though angels/demons/hell don't seem to work anything like they do in Christianity, they're still very overtly and explicitly based on Christian scripture, and I find that kind of dissonance annoying.

Then there's the author's statement on the FAQ page saying she has "no wish to offend anyone" so we shouldn't take it seriously. I'm sorry, you can't open your comic with a Bible verse and openly mine the Book of Revelation for material, and then act like you're not saying anything about religion. The message I'm getting is that religious people are annoying and naive, but sometimes their heart is in the right place, and their beliefs are either mistakes or deliberate manipulation. Which, sure, is a totally understandable and perhaps even reasonable opinion for an atheist to hold. I'll take it over "Religion poisons everything. I am very intelligent" any day of the week. But it's still saying something.

My breaking point was page 27. On this page, Zero describes his goddess as "the woman clothed with the sun and a crown of stars [...] chosen by heaven to give birth to the savior." That's pretty clearly the woman from Revelation. (I assume the moon beneath her feet was omitted for space reasons.) Kick says that's not a goddess, that's her mother. Which means that (a) a literal demon from hell  is taking the place of Jesus, an (b) the figure associated with the Virgin Mary is here worshiped as a pagan goddess, by a character with an interest in Rosaries, no less. I'm Catholic and this smacks of the various fundamentalists accusing my religion of being recycled paganism that worships Mary as a goddess. Not cool.

(It even feels a little cultural appropriation-y. Like, you'd see the problem if Kick Girl were a wendigo or her father was Mohammed. I mean, Christianity isn't exactly an oppressed minority in my part of the world, and I'm not losing sleep over this, but it's annoying all the same and I think it's fair to find it offensive.)

So that's a hard pass from me.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2022, 01:15:20 PM »
I finally got to start Suihira, and I like it a lot so far! So thanks Linebyline.

I just reached chp 3 p 31 about getting to go home and was pleasantly surprised 😍

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »
Woop woop, October is just round the corner! Who wants to present something?

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #249 on: October 01, 2022, 10:23:32 PM »
October is upon us! Does anyone have a pitch yet? I have one more stockpiled, so I can fill in, but perhaps someone wants to post something a little more appropriate for spooky season?

By the way, Jitter, I'm glad you're enjoying Suihira.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2022, 07:21:09 AM »
Please go for it Linebyline! Everyone has been given the chance to claim October.

Everyone, please consider sharing something in November, ok?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2022, 08:47:19 AM »
I'd be happy to take November or December if nobody else does - I've still got quite a few good webcomics to share.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2022, 03:00:36 PM »
Friends, Minnions, Highwaymen, allow me to introduce to you Freelancer! It's a space opera comic by Martin Kirby-Jackson. Now completed, it ran for three chapters and ended in 2016.

You can find the comic at freelancerscomic.tumblr.com

Fair warning: the links at the top of the page for chapters 1, 2, and 3 are hard-coded to the now-expired freelancerscomic.com domain, so they're broken. The page-to-page links still work fine, but unfortunately those don't include the usual link to page 1. The perils of hosting a Webcomic on Tumblr I suppose. Anyway, here's a link to page 1.

The comic stars Elena Daniels, who dreams of being the big hero on her team of swashbuckling space adventurers/artifact hunters. Her actual duties, however, mostly just involve cleaning the spaceship. Said ship belongs to Cass, the stern, driven leader of the group. Rounding out the rest of the team are Jean, a large, bedreadlocked man;Junpo, an even larger anthropomorphic red panda; and Veetu, a tiny robot guy. It's mostly Elena and Cass's story, so the other three don't get fleshed out as much, but they still stand up off the page. Veetu most of all.

Things pick up when a mission goes slightly awry and Elena, assigned to stay with the ship, launches a dubiously necessary rescue mission and ends up permanently(?) bonded to a mysterious ancient artifact that just so happens to resemble a really neato-lookin' pair of fingerless gloves. Except for when they're giant quasi-mechanical gauntlets. Elena knows nothing about them, but Cass has a personal beef with a certain person...entity?...that deals in such artifacts.

At the risk of a spoiler, be forewarned that the story's biggest backstory mystery goes unsolved. The emotional arc, however, does reach a satisfying conclusion and the tale ends on a hopeful note that leaves you confident that the characters will get their answers eventually, whether we ever get to see them or not.

There's not much in the way of content warnings. Running down the list on page 1:
  • No sex at all, unless you count Cass's cleavage in chapter 1.
  • No abuse, though there's one count of borderline neglectful parenting of the "dad loves kid but is too busy with work to play with them" variety.
  • Some of the characters are anthros and they have violence happen to them. I'll leave it to you to decide whether that counts as animal abuse.
  • Only one guy clearly dies, and the actual death happens off-page.
  • Another guy gets disappeared in a way that probably didn't kill him. We never find out. This also happens off-page.
  • There is typical action violence PG-13 at the worst. We see some bloodied fists and the like.
  • There's one scene where a guy is lying on the ground with his face in a pool of blood and we don't know at the time whether he's alive or dead.
Spoiler: show
He's fine.

Going off-list, I guess those of you with trypophobia or something might be squicked out by a scene where a robot with light bulbs for a mustache rearranges his own face.

You can think of the comic as Kirby-Jackson's A Redtail's Dream, except that he wasn't practicing for another comic--just honing his art skills in general. You can check out his current work on his ArtStation but it's both much improved from what's in Freelancer and (usually) quite different stylistically. That being the case, the art can be a little rough in spots, mainly in chapter 1. Still, overall I'd say it's pretty good, and it especially shines toward the end.

Here are some samples of the artwork:

Holes and labels.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 05:29:16 PM by Linebyline »
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2022, 04:06:30 AM »
Thank you Linebyline! I have updated the opening post.

And then, sincerest apologies to @Gwenno I had not updated your offer there at all. I am very sorry! It's up now.

Keep, I put you up for November.

I continue to enjoy Suihira, although haven'd made much progress since my previous comment about it. Serin reminds me of Onni.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2022, 01:35:17 PM »
Update update: the artist’s arm has recovered and Shaderunners is back!