Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 31722 times)

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2022, 10:19:16 AM »
Spoiler: show
They go through all the deadly sins and then there's a chapter featuring a showdown against all of them.

Which would have made a fine place to end the series, but nope! The following chapters are a mix of dealing with the fallout from that chapter and giving a whole new set of characters a chapter to themselves before folding them into the cast. And now there's a chapter set on a boat! How exciting!

Something else I love about this comic is that there's more to most of these characters than meets the eye. They're complex, conflicted, sometimes morally compromised. Very few of them are straight up always good or always bad (Wulfe and Acedia being among the exceptions). They make honest mistakes, and sometimes dishonest mistakes. Characters start out seeming one-dimensional but then you learn new things about them and they get fleshed out.

I'm also a big fan of how the different sets of characters interact. You initially see them in their own little bubbles, only making cameos outside them. But there gradually starts to be more and more crossover, especially during and after the above-mentioned chapter. I can't really explain how (at least not with anything resembling brevity) but this manages to feel completely natural and avoid shrinking-world syndrome. I think part of it is the balance between completely moving to focus on a whole new cast (with established characters in cameo roles) and what the current chapter does by giving a starring role to supporting characters from earlier chapters. It's great stuff.

"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2022, 08:08:37 AM »
They go through all the deadly sins and then there's a chapter featuring a showdown against all of them.

Which would have made a fine place to end the series, but nope! The following chapters are a mix of dealing with the fallout from that chapter and giving a whole new set of characters a chapter to themselves before folding them into the cast. And now there's a chapter set on a boat! How exciting!

Something else I love about this comic is that there's more to most of these characters than meets the eye. They're complex, conflicted, sometimes morally compromised. Very few of them are straight up always good or always bad (Wulfe and Acedia being among the exceptions). They make honest mistakes, and sometimes dishonest mistakes. Characters start out seeming one-dimensional but then you learn new things about them and they get fleshed out.

I'm also a big fan of how the different sets of characters interact. You initially see them in their own little bubbles, only making cameos outside them. But there gradually starts to be more and more crossover, especially during and after the above-mentioned chapter. I can't really explain how (at least not with anything resembling brevity) but this manages to feel completely natural and avoid shrinking-world syndrome. I think part of it is the balance between completely moving to focus on a whole new cast (with established characters in cameo roles) and what the current chapter does by giving a starring role to supporting characters from earlier chapters. It's great stuff.

I am now on the boat chapter mentioned.  This is a really great comic.  The people interactions are wonderful.  There is a mix of all kinds of individuals.  It was fun reading the chapters in bulk.  Soon i will have to wait for updates like everyone else :(
So far both recommendations I have read are wonderful (Sword interval and  Widdershins )

Thank you
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2022, 09:04:08 AM »
It's June! And you know what that means! Fellow Minnions, allow me to introduce Phantomarine, by Claire Niebergall.

The Web site is www.phantomarine.com or you can go directly to the first page.

Updates have been pretty consistent on Monday and Friday since I've been reading. Not sure how the chapter breaks go since I started reading partway through the current one.

The story opens when princess Phaedra Philemon's vacation is interrupted by mysterious supernatural assassins. As a result, she gets to meet her sworn enemy: Cheth, the god of death, also known as the Red Tide King, or, to the fans, Jeff.

Cheth has no body of his own, due to spoiler reasons, but he has the next best thing: The ghosts of everyone who has ever died, human or animal. Which still aren't bodies, but you know, he makes do. Sort of: Like all ghosts, he's bound to the sea and can't go on land.

You'd think that would be where Phaedra (Phae to her friends) comes in. Problem is, she's a ghost too. Now, she was the first person who successfully challenged Cheth and earned her right to return to life, but let's just say there were some complications. So she's stuck on the water too, along with the friends who died alongside her.

Enter Pavel Morena, an incredibly adorable kid with a nasty case of "seabite" from having his head chomped by a ghost fish. The prognosis is not good for kids (or adults) with that condition, but he's managing with the help of his scientist mom Vanna. Pavel is one of the few people to have any sympathy for the sea ghosts or Cheth himself, which leads to a certain amount of friction when he meets up with Phae. Most importantly, he isn't dead yet, which means he can go on land.

That's important because if Phae and her friends want to return to life, they'll need to go on a fetch quest for Cheth after something that was squirreled away somewhere on land, probably specifically to keep it away from him. There's also a deadline involved: If Phae takes too long, she and her friends will be permanently deaded, each of them just another mindless husk in Cheth's collection, conscious of nothing but ravenous hunger for the souls of the living.

But I haven't mentioned the most important character: Katja, the Spooky Samoyed. (Oh, there's a LOT of alliteration on the cast page.) You know what a cloud looks like? You know the dogs from Undertale? You know what happiness looks like if you compress it into dog form? That's Katja. She's not so much comic relief as cute relief. 

I'd say it's appropriate for general audiences, but there are some scary scenes (god of death and all, but he's not even the scariest character), lots of death (Did I mention most of the main characters are ghosts?) and quasi-death/fate-worse-than-death stuff. It's gore-free and  minimally bloody, but there are some glimpses of that body Phae's not using anymore, after it was lost at sea for a while. ("I threw up," one character says matter-of-factly.) You might want to read through it yourself before you show it to the young'uns. There's no sex, though one character shows a frankly uncomfortable amount of cleavage (but then everything about her is uncomfortable).

In terms of tone and genre, it's overall pretty light-hearted, never going too long without a laugh. However there are some harrowing action sequences and some piercing tragedy. ("I'm sorry," the author writes repeatedly in the comments for the pages leading up to one particular twist of the knife.) Overall, it's the same kind of action-adventure as SSSS, though secondary-world fantasy rather than post-apocalyptic.

As the author explains it on the about page:
I aim for the comic to be generally PG-rated – some serious spookiness, but nothing too extreme. You can expect a few scary moments, mild language, dark humor, a touch of body horror, and lots of situations involving… well… death! For a good metric, it doesn’t get much darker than the darkest scenes of Harry Potter.

The artwork is fantastic. It's a cartoonier style than SSSS, which lends itself to some amazing expressions. Case in point:

Okay, maybe that's a bad example since it's pretty chibi-cute. Here's a messy collage of some of my favorite Phaedra faces from the current chapter.

So, is there anything I don't like? Well, maybe. I mentioned the uncomfortable cleavage. But structurally, I feel like Phae and her friends disappear from the story for too long, so soon after their predicament is set up, while we focus on Pavel for a couple chapters. However, there's a good reason for that, and ultimately it didn't bother me much. The stuff with Pavel and his mom is excellent, and I can't think of a way to cut back to Phae in the middle of it without ruining something. You'll just have to trust me when I say that we will get back to Phae and Cheth and the rest of the ghostly cast. I guess I'm also a little disappointed that the other seabitten kids introduced around the same time as pavel don't seem to show up again after that, but you never know. The author aims for fifteen chapters, and we're currently at chapter five, so there's plenty of time for them to return. These are all mild complaints, anyway.

If I haven't sold you yet, consider: There's also a lively community in the comments under each page, and the author is an active participant! And for you language nerds, Cheth can't speak to anyone who isn't dead and be understood, and the symbols he emits when he tries are a modified substitution cipher that the fans have had fun attempting to crack.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 09:09:57 AM by Linebyline »
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2022, 01:13:01 PM »
Thank you, Linebyline! I have added Phantomarine on the list in the opening post.

I’m still desperately behind in Widdershins, but I’ll make sure to give Phantomarine a try when I get the chance! (Nightmare at work, nightmare I tell you!)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2022, 01:57:15 PM »
Don't worry, both Widdershins and Phantomarine will be more than happy to give you even more nightmares! :)
- Simcha Fisher

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2022, 12:47:20 PM »
Haha, I was flipping back and forth between presenting Widdershins or Phantomarine! I'm glad I left the latter for you, Linebyline. There was also a bunch of others that I wanted to recommend, I'm curious to see if someone else presents them eventually. I've noticed some familiar usernames from SSSS in the comments on occasion, so somebody else is definitely reading them.

I started Phantomarine fairly recently, and it's great. I wonder if the diversion away from Phae and company is less distracting if you binge-read that section. I'm pretty sure I did that. I love the artwork - very clean and consistent, lots of great expressions (as demonstrated by Linebyline - nice collage) - but I do find it teeters on the edge of Disney-esque. I dislike Disney animations on several levels. I keep hearing a movie soundtrack in my head, especially when Cheth is hamming it up. But that's my weird hang-up, otherwise I'm enjoying it immensely. The commentariat seems to be pretty cool, too, it's one of the few webcomics that I'll check comments sometimes.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

dmeck7755

« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2022, 03:24:07 PM »
I started Phantomarine fairly recently, and it's great. I wonder if the diversion away from Phae and company is less distracting if you binge-read that section. I'm pretty sure I did that. I love the artwork - very clean and consistent, lots of great expressions (as demonstrated by Linebyline - nice collage) - but I do find it teeters on the edge of Disney-esque. I dislike Disney animations on several levels. I keep hearing a movie soundtrack in my head, especially when Cheth is hamming it up. But that's my weird hang-up, otherwise I'm enjoying it immensely. The commentariat seems to be pretty cool, too, it's one of the few webcomics that I'll check comments sometimes.

I did binge to catch and liked it very much.  You get a few glimpses of other things going on in the background...
Some of the characters are very disney-like 

Halea reminds me too much of Yzma in The Emperor's New Groove
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
Never thought of that comparison but yeah, it makes a certain amount of sense.

I actually only started reading Phantomarine shortly before SSSS ended, so I did binge everything up to the current chapter. But I probably glossed over a bunch of stuff. I really need to reread he whole thing.
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2022, 07:51:08 AM »
Just letting you know I have taken up Phantomarine and it is great! I’ll soon be caught up. Very interesting, and intriguing. I’ll definitely keep following it!

I think I need to set up my comics tabs somehow or it will become a mess. Even more of a mess than it already is.

@Keep Looking has the July slot, but after that there are free months. Who wats August?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2022, 06:13:19 PM »
It's June! And you know what that means! Fellow Minnions, allow me to introduce Phantomarine, by Claire Niebergall.

I'm so glad that somebody recommended this one! Phantomarine is such an absolute joy to read, and deserves so much love, both for the story and the art  ;D I've been really enjoying the Jeff crew being such total disasters this chapter especially, but there's really nothing I haven't been enjoying so far!  :V

I'm also glad that Linebyline mentioned the comments section, as they're definitely worth a read!

@Keep Looking has the July slot, but after that there are free months. Who wats August?

I can't do August as I'm away at the start of the month, but I might be able to get something together for September if nobody else wants it?
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2022, 06:18:08 PM »
Gwenno, great! I will reserve September for you!

August is up for grabs, peeps!

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2022, 08:47:17 PM »
I don't want to grab another month so soon after doing this month, but if nobody else wants August I'll be happy to fill in.
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2022, 05:39:54 AM »
I’ll keep you in mind, Linebyline! Let’s wait a few days to see if someone else wants it,, in which case I’ll put you up for a later month, but if not, you’ll get August.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2022, 08:01:00 AM »
Works for me. Thanks!
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2022, 04:37:24 PM »
@Keep Looking you are on :)

Also Claire is doing a Phantobomb, Phantomarine is updating every day this week! Leading to the end of the current chapter, hopefully after some more reveals!