Author Topic: Comic of the Month  (Read 30732 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: Comic of the Month
« Reply #435 on: November 03, 2023, 01:29:16 AM »
Yes, i found that lore reveal really fascinating! (More under cut)

Spoiler: show

Honestly in some ways I prefer the idea that elves are just humans who've been altered by magic over generations, as opposed to a completely different species - it makes more sense, especially in a world that's meant to be a bit more grounded or have more consistent systems than some other fantasy stories.

Fantasy "races" or different species can be really cool but also make you ask a lot of questions about how their world was made (that usually only make sense when there's some sort of creation deity/s that decided it'd be like that). The real answer is that they're probably Tolkien ripoffs, although as you said Linebyline, Tolkien put a lot more thought into his own worldbuilding! I've read the Silmarillion once and the Hobbit and LOTR several times (my parents read them out loud to us when we were kids), but I cannot say I remember all the lore.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #436 on: November 03, 2023, 08:26:22 AM »
I could take November, if that's ok?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #437 on: November 03, 2023, 05:01:20 PM »
No objections from me, Jitter!

And yeah, Keep Looking, I think you and I are pretty much on the same page.

Spoiler: "irrelevant tangent" • show
I really need to reread at least the two main books. Maybe once I winnow down my to-read pile a bit. (I may have bit off more than I could chew with the Animorphs reread.) Had to research it a bit, but the book rights do not belong to Warner (i.e. AT&T) or Amazon so I can read guilt-free! (I mean, I already own the books so it's not like I'm giving them money, but consuming Amazon/AT&T/Mouse media just makes me feel icky.)

Edit: Vector origin story incoming! This is not a drill! (Also, back at HTBAW, a strongly implied pun.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 11:23:18 PM by Linebyline »
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #438 on: November 05, 2023, 11:44:53 AM »
So, my bid for November 2023 is Chirault by author Ally Rom Colthoff, a.k.a. Varethane

https://chirault.sevensmith.net/?comic_id=0

Chirault is a finshed graphic novel which run from 2007 to early 2018. Seems like I always recommend finished works! It has both good and bad sides. Good obviously that we know it will reach its destination, but it's sad that we miss the opportunity to watch the work grow. Obviously the story comes off differently read as a whole or one page at a time.

Plus it's sometimes sad to see the memory of the community, when a nice one used to be present. This is the case for the latter (about) half of Chirault. In the early years the comment section is more or less empty, but towards the end there is some discussion. I strongly recommend these, because the author participates a lot and answers questions, offering many clarifications. There are also lot of links to previous pages related to the point at hand, so it really is useful for understanding what is going on at some points. And I would have loved to join the speculation bandwagon, and there were numerous comments I wanted to reply to. But it doesn't make much sense to reply to discussions from 8 years ago, so no.

Anyways, Chirault is wonderful! I found it linked by Castoff, and was mesmerized by it! I read the around 1300 pages over a few days. It's high fantasy, with demons and demon hunters (in certain cases, the same person), mages, tree spirits with extremely cool design, the world in mortal peril, etc etc. The short synopsis from the about pages says:

The world is not a peaceful place. A young half-demon named Teeko has been forced from her home, and to make matters worse, is now the size of a squirrel thanks to a wayward magic spell. Her only protection is the demon-hunter Kiran, who is a demon himself and lacks patience for children. Together, they must seek the help of a mage to reverse the spell on Teeko...

...But the Mage Guild has problems of their own; they've created an enchanted orb with the power to destroy cities and must find a way to control or dismantle it, before it's too late. 

The art is near-grayscale in traditional ink and markers. I say near-grayscale, because there are many pages with very subtle shading with just a hint of tone in some of the markers used. Chapter covers plus a mini-story set in the middle of the main story are in colour, along with a few special pages.

What I love about it?
* The characters. There are such great character arcs and believable character development. Characters and their motivations are not black and white, and just like in life it's not very clear who is on the same side, let alone who are the "good" or the "bad" guys. Also side characters and even fairly minor ones get shades and backstories. Very well done.
* The world. The world is fascinating and the world building well done. A lot remains mysterious, but enough information is given to understand what is going on. Perhaps not all the time, but eventually :)
* The developing art. The art is ok in the beginning, but obviously develops so much over the 10+ years of the comic's run. Very interesting to see!

What I like less?
* On its own website some of the pages are a little hard to read at least on my iPad. I assume more so on a phone. There were some mentions that on Webtoon there are higher resolution pages, but I haven't looked. This was a problem for only a few pages though.
* At certain points it gets a bit overly complicated. Reading the comments may help, as Varethane sometimes clarifies how things are related. On the other hand it's great to see the mystery unfolding, but at some points it was a bit frustrating. Definitely wort barreling through, however!

Content warnings

There are some under the cut. Openly I feel like I must mention body horror.

* Body horror. Depending on what gives you the squick it may be quite extreme in places. What actually happens isn't probably worse than in SSSS but is presented in a way that brings it closer to the reader, at least for me
* Character death
* Mortal danger to a child
* Threat of loss of self

There is no nudity, sexual innuendo, foul language or substance abuse.

Note: Almost all pages have alt-text, which according to the comments is oftehn hilarious. I didn't see it on my iPad, I wonder if I need to re-read on my computer just for it :)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #439 on: November 05, 2023, 11:49:25 AM »
I also updated the opening post. And noticed that the December 2023 entry will be the 30th comic of the month! Who would like to do the honors then?

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #440 on: November 06, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »
I'm happy to pinch-hit, but I've already done more this year than anyone else, so I'd rather let someone else have the honor if anyone wants it.

Chirault, huh? And of course it's from Castoff's Spiderforest plugs. I thought the name rang a bell!  Usually the demons thing is a turnoff for me, which must be why I didn't add it to my to-read list when I ran across the plug. But from your description, it sounds like it's worth a second look! Thanks for the rec!
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #441 on: November 07, 2023, 09:04:57 AM »
Yeah, they are called demons for some reason but it means “magical beings”. Most of them are monsters, but not all. There is no connection to some evil boss or underworld, so not demons in any Christian sense. There seems to be no religion in the story, none of ours but no local to the world either. Could as well read “a monster hunter who is a monster himself” etc.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2023, 05:44:32 PM »
That's a familiar-sounding premise. Sounds like perfect reading for the Fall. ;)

Wait, "Scarf boy wuz here"? This comic has been on me old to-read list (before I switched browsers) for so long I just about forgot about it!

Time to dig in!
- Simcha Fisher

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #443 on: November 07, 2023, 11:15:52 PM »
I'm up to the Aerquist section. I'm really enjoying the comic! Some of the town names and vibes remind me a bit of Morrowind, which I played a bit with my girlfriend earlier this year (old games are good because they run on my laptop).

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #444 on: November 08, 2023, 03:31:23 PM »
And Astrid is a Mordic female name! That irritated me for a bit.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
« Reply #445 on: November 12, 2023, 02:17:05 AM »
I just finished Chirault and I really enjoyed it! The plot was a bit confusing at times (I am still not fully sure of everything that was going on) but I love the characters and the worldbuilding, especially Kiran and Teeko.

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #446 on: November 12, 2023, 02:27:11 PM »
Agreed, I’m not 100% sure of all of the steps that led to the final events, but it doesn’t matter too much! However,

The Orb was made in image of the Wand, but where did the Wand come from? The current mages couldn’t have made it without the original schematics of the Wand (according to what I understood) but the Wand was created solely by Jenneth and Viraigo? Really? Or was there something ancient at work back then? Sadly, we will never know as the author has moved to other worlds now.

I love the world of Chirault! Good worldbuilding is a delight. Takes me back to my childhood when I delighted in Science Fiction, much of was mostly about world building then. I mean characters? What characters? There are some placeholders for people who do things to show more of my “wouldn’t it be cool to…” world!

I don’t mean Chirault! It has world building, characters and plot! But many of the old SF stuff doesn’t spark joy, if I try getting back to it… So it’s great to be able to find new strange new worlds in comics!

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #447 on: November 14, 2023, 10:19:12 PM »
On page...126? And:

Okay, that's worth a chuckle.

I'm enjoying this so far. I have some minor complaints, sure, but the characters are great!

The main threat is fascinating. Kind of reminds me of the moon fingerprint from Gunnerkrigg Court (which I kinda fell out of reading and never got back to).
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #448 on: November 15, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »
I’m following Gunnerkrikk Court but I don’t much like the turn it’s taken since quite long ago, so in my opinion you haven’t missed much.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #449 on: November 24, 2023, 09:02:10 AM »
Update update!

Riana posted an announcement on Suihira! She’s unable to return to updating, hut at least she’s still around. Suihira is not dead, but the indefinite hiatus continues due to personal stuff.

Tiger Tiger was on a surprise break, but is now back and right in the middle of godly shenanigans.

White noise is at end of Arc 1. There will be an Arc 2, but we don’t know when it will start. Currently Thepooka is posting character Q&As so there is still some content ongping.

Freefall is updating regularly as always. I’m finding the current scene as well as the previous one interesting discussion on artificial intelligence (as in autonomous beings, not our current language model stuff). It was a bit boring for a while earlier, but I’m now glad I didn’t drop it.

Barbarous is currently updating on johnnywander! They went silent for a bit but are now back.

Phantomarine is updating normally, as are Harpy Gee and Castoff. Widdershins is somewhat erratic, it misses one week every now and then, but is still running. It’s in the final book so will be ending after the current arc.

Shaderunners has been silent for almost a year now, and Blonde Sunrise appears dead too. Badspace hasn’t posted any new ones for a few months, but it doesn’t have a fixed update schedule anyways so that doesn’t need to mean anything.

Gifts of Wandering Ice seems ro be ongoing as nor,al, but it got so weird I’m off it for a while at least.

Who wants to take December?