Author Topic: Future of our Fandom  (Read 11665 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: Future of our Fandom
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »
I always considered Minna's workload insane. She said in the stream that it takes more or less 15 hours to do each page (IIRC 5 for creation/sketch, 5 for lineart, 4 for colouring and 1 for inserting text). And I believe it! I can't imagine how she was able to sustain such a routine (and it was even harder, I'm sure, when she was making 5 updates a week and making those oh-gods-so-detailled pages on adv. 1! She should have slowed down to 3 (eventually 2) pages a week a long time ago.
Also, as catbirds pointed, that's physically extenuating and unhealthy in the long run. And she decided to add streamings to that!

I hope she takes some time to herself after adv. 2.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »
Maybe make the pages smaller or square
(These two options would effectively make it impossible to turn the comic into a printed book later on, though.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2021, 07:29:27 PM »
I haven't seen anything with remotely this much detail that updates four days a week. Even work that updates three days a week is often done with different people doing the drawing and inking.

I think Minna's had entirely unreasonable expectations for herself.

And chronic exhaustion can leave you vulnerable to all sorts of things.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »
Agreed. I do work that kind of schedule, have never slept much and nowadays sleep even less with the chronic intractable pain thing. But I am unusually fit for an old person, and my work varies from the entirely physical to housework to pure paperwork and nursing my disabled husband when he is not in hospital, interspersed with speaking and occasional forest classes, so my work has variety and change and different mental and physical stresses. I could never do the all-one-type-of-work 60hour weeks that Minna does. I’ve watched my youngest son, who is an artist/musician/farmer, work way too hard for most of his life, and have seen how hard it is on him. I couldn’t do what Minna does. And yeah, exhaustion can make you vulnerable, no matter how passionately you care about what you do.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2021, 06:17:39 AM »
Discussion about the restructuring of the Forum is now open here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1190.0

The discussion will be open for a month and will steer the restructuring effort, so please go there and give your thoughts!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2021, 05:23:43 AM »
So, the restructuring we discussed here will take place over the (Northern) summer!

There is a lot of organising work and we could use some extra pairs of hands and eyes. Preferably wielded by extra persons, and not directly mutated on the Forum staff. If you can and want to pitch in, we are recruiting temporary Skalds to help with moving the books and scrolls. See here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=304.15
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.