Author Topic: Future of our Fandom  (Read 11657 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Future of our Fandom
« on: April 24, 2021, 04:56:38 PM »
Dear fellow Forumites, we have learned Minna does not intend to continue SSSS after current Adventure 2. In addition, the fandom is in upheaval also due to events related to the Christian Lovely People comic, as well as what many of us have come to feel about our author in connection to this and other cases. You may read about this in the Lovely People thread here: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=1169.0 as well as in the Comfort Corner. We know some (many, too many) people have left the fandom due to this, although on the bright side new people have also come in.

This thread is dedicated to the future.

How can we keep our community alive? What do we do now, when some of us are disappointed beyond repair and some are feeling let down? What will we do eventually when the comic ends? Do we just say our goodbyes, turn off rhe lights and go? NO. We will not do that!

We have our stories, our ships, the families, the Mead Moose, the squirrels, young Ensi, old Emil, living Tuuri, the OCs, the AUs... This has started from SSSS the webcomic, but it has grown beyond that. And more than all the fanworks, we have grown into a wonderful, caring community. Our discussions here and this group of people, some of whom I’m privileged to consider friends, has enormous value even if there never was another page by Minna nor another fanwork posted at all.

The community has faced challenges before and has been shaken and torn, but endured. What we have today is extraordinary in the web spaces of today. Even the by far most difficult issue in many years has been discussed calmly (see the LP thread linked above). We have people willing to see the other perspective, and people apologizing when even only fearing they may have inadvertently said something another may find hurtful or just snide. This is sadly very very rare in the public internet these days. I don’t want to lose this, and I know there are many others who feel the same.

So, let’s do this, and keep doing this! You are invited! Present your ideas, discuss, let’s build this up! This time I also encourage you to just say “I’m in” even if that’s all you feel like contributing right now. We can do it, but we have to do it together. This is meant for each and every one of us, not just the fan creators! Our community is built of people, and people are the ones who can keep it alive if they so choose.

It may be that you don’t feel controversial at this time, and if so, that is wonderful! This thread is not reserved specifically for the current upheaval. Whatever happens now, we will be facing the end of updates at some point, maybe half a year, maybe two years from now, but it’s coming. So, we might as well start planning for that eventuality, whether the current storm calms down quickly or not.

So, please join me and others in building our future. We have each other now, let’s keep it that way!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 04:34:34 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Future of our Fandom
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »
I’m in. Our community is a good one. Let us not lose it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:53:16 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 05:49:16 PM »
I think this community is so special. we should keep to maintain it. But I have no idea how to do so.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »
The parts of SSSS that I do like are enough that I don't think I'll ever withdraw completely. (And aRTD of course too). Not to mention the people I've become acquainted with - lots of fond feelings there.

And I still have wips that I fully intend to finish.

It's unlikely that I'll be actively involved with anything over here per se. But I'm very interested in seeing the directions that you all take with your side of the fandom.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:11:11 PM »
Jitter, thank you very much for starting this thread!

Since you suggested that some repetition wouldn't be bad in this case, on which I agree, this post has parts that I previously wrote on the comfort corner. I hope this collection of thoughts makes some sense and becomes useful.
---
I love this community. This is the only online community where I participate and I never felt any need to look for more. We're very lucky to have such an amazing group of people, and I feel so lucky to be a part of it. Following what Róisín's mate once said, we lucked ourselves in the best corner of the Internet!
I grew so much in this place, where I started drawing art again after years of just work-related drawings and the place where I dared to write reminders, haikus, poetry (!) and stories.
Here I feel everyone is respected, and cared, and helped, as far as possible due to the obvious limitations. It surely helped me a lot when I had to face my father's death. And after that so many times, for different (and thankfully a lot less dramatic) reasons.
Here I learned so much from each one, absorbing different worldviews and experiences from people spread all around the world.
For all those reasons, and some, my plan is to remain here and contribute the best I can.

I believe that SSSS characters and stories also belong to us, to our hearts, and I've been told there are many cases on the net when a fandom outlived and outgrew its original source. I see the comic as a catalyst that started a fire, and now it keeps burning.
We are the fuel, and the fire is, and will be, beautiful to watch! (Emil is, again, telling me that he agrees) :)

That said, now, and even more when Minna's story ends, it's up to us! There's no reason for us to stop, be it in the more SSSS-related topics or on all the rest.

We can keep sharing and learning with each other. There's a whole World of songs, jokes, recipes, thoughts... We come from many different places and cultures, and there's so much to learn, and, sometimes, teach!

We can create more or less regular events and challenges like the yoinktober and the chapter break filler. Those can spark our creative members into producing fantastic things. And those that don't create can enjoy.

Threads based on other sources can also exist. (I for one thought sometimes about writing on Tolkien's universe... Among many other possibilities).

So I think there's a lot that we can do to keep this going on. One of the most important ones is to remain organized, preserving, as much as possible, the structure and the people that give life to it. I'm talking about our Administrators and Moderators. It is very important to make sure they remain with us, as I believe they will.

As for my participation, I will surely draw more things, SSSS related or not, and will keep writing. I heve the "A Beginning" series halfway (3rd story on proofreading, 4th half written) and then I'll go back to the "Lightning" timeline, that, I hope, will become a full novel. I also have three other stories more or less plotted, and may also return to the great oak and tell more about those squirrels...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:42:57 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »
Seconding what Grey said, and I'm in!!! Even if I don't know how much I'll be interacting with SSSS, making fan art or fan fiction or that sort of things (I'm still deciding on that) I am 1000% around for the community and all the amazing people this comic has attracted. It's incredibly nice to have such a lovely social space, and I'm all for continuing it!

I guess my question is wether we would keep this website just the same, or keep it all the same except for changing the name? Would that be necessary? Will there be threads dedicated to Minna's next works, whatever those may be, or not? Since this is a brainstorming thread there are a lot of options
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 07:59:53 PM »
I don't have any ideas at the moment, but I do want to say that this fandom has become incredibly important to me over the last two years. I barely keep up with the actual SSSS comic anymore (in part because of Minna and in part because I've just lost investment) but I've continued to participate in the fandom spaces here and hope to do so for a good while longer, just because of the community. It's not the first fandom I've been in, but it's definitely the one I've participated in the most and for the longest, and that's mostly because of the people and the culture around here. I've learned so much from being in this fandom - talking to a wide range of people from different backgrounds, learning to organise and run events like the Chapter Break Filler, getting into poetry (which I do still write! Just not for SSSS anymore). I definitely don't want this place to die out, regardless of the future of the comic.

As said before, I don't have any big ideas for this fandom or anything, although I do think that continuing to run community events, as Grey said, like the advent calendar and yoinktober (dunno how chapter break fillers would work if there's no more chapters to have breaks!) is really important. School's been keeping me very busy lately, but I'll be done with my final exams by mid-November and after that I'll have a lot more time on my hands - I'd be willing to step up and take on more roles and responsibilities in this fandom (as a very low-level member of staff) if it means keeping this place alive.

Anyway. That's all I've got to say.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 08:39:10 PM »
Per Jitter's suggestion, I'm cross-posting a few of the things I originally posted in the Comfort Corner discussion about the future of the forum. Hopefully it will soothe a few more hearts and encourage people to stay who were considering leaving:

-----

I'm imagining all of us who are grieving this situation, standing in a circle with our heads bowed and our hands on each other's backs. Wherever you are [...], if you're okay with it, imagine one of our hands on your back, and yours on someone else's here. You can feel them breathing beneath your hand, and they can feel your breathing. I imagine us breathing together. Shared inhales and exhales, and a squeeze on the shoulders of those who need one.

(And nobody gets sick because this is imaginary.)

[...]

It's hard when you feel like you can't help, just spectate, and can't get closure when some people decide they need to leave. The only thing I can figure -- and I'm still new here, I haven't contributed either to the really impressive body of creative work that seems to be at the heart of this forum -- is that as we mourn in our big mourning pile, we should also look within ourselves for some positive conviction, some forward-looking dedication. What can we do to keep the fire alive here, for our own sake as well as for the sake of other people on the forum? Maybe it's time for each of us to step up a little, contribute an artwork here, a poem there, a photograph, a story, suggest a community project . . . anything. We can be sad and worried about what the future holds, or we can throw ourselves into caring for the people who are here, and continuing to participate in what we all love. I think at some point it would be a good idea for everyone to get together and discuss how to re-center the community so that it stays vibrant without relying on SSSS updates -- it's a discussion that was going to have to happen at some point anyway, maybe years from now, maybe still years from now. It doesn't have to happen right now, but what we do need to do, I think, is keep an eye trained firmly on what draws and keeps us here, and do our best to nurture that. That's the kind of control I see us having.

[...]

When I look in from outside, I see a community that is powerful and good, much more powerful than it gives itself credit for. It's bound together by characters and a world that a single person created, and up until this point, the creator's vision for these characters and this world has been more or less agreeable to the fans here, the people whose passionate creativity has generated an ocean of work. The SSSS characters do not live only in Minna's comics, though. They live also in this big breathing body of fan art and fiction, of poetry, of role play -- they have been given a place to exist outside of Minna now. We should embrace that. While we aren't owners of the intellectual property, we have these characters and this world in our hearts now, and we have the power to tell their stories beyond Minna's story.

What I'm saying is, I think we have to see SSSS as something larger than Minna now. Lalli is not just Minna's anymore. You have poured love into him, you've doodled drawings of him, you've celebrated his birthday year after year, and he is yours too now. So is Emil, so is Kitty, so is Vaino Vaananen (sorry, not sure how to do special characters). This is when you look the characters you love in the eye and say, "It's okay, I got you, you're still with me." In fact, I would argue that we should do just that, and do it hard -- celebrate the canon story, revisit it, add to it, maybe even make changes to it (for example, let there be a community of Saami survivors!). Keep these characters and this world vibrant in our hearts. We are not passive followers. We also have the power to create, and there are more of us than there are of Minna.

-----
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:17:25 PM by SkyWhalePod »
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
I have one idea right now, I can't remember the others and I've eaten a lot of ice cream so my brain isn't in sit-and-ruminate mode. Will return to this thread tomorrow. Here's my current idea:

Start a thread where we revisit SSSS page by page, starting from the beginning -- a community re-read. Maybe we link to one page every day, or maybe we follow Minna's posting schedule so that for every day she puts up a new SSSS page, we link to an old one. We could give ourselves chapter breaks to celebrate (I think that's something you guys do? See, I'm totally new here, I have no idea how this works!) and the chance to revisit the ideas, stories, and moments that made us love SSSS in the first place. There are so many pages of SSSS! Literally volumes and volumes! If you think about it, there are (I assume) forums out there dedicated to bodies of literature (*cough*Lord of the Rings*cough*) that have been essentially complete for decades, because people keep coming together to share work inspired by it, have discussions, revisit the text, et cetera.

Also I think this should still be a place that welcomes new people, so we should still be associated with SSSS and keep the name. We do aRTD stuff here even though it's not in the forum title. If people here are interested in having discussions about Minna's new works, whenever those come around, I'm open to starting a new board or something for them. No reason to alienate those among us who liked Lovely People and are looking forward to what Minna does next! We want to include everybody who wants to be included, as long as everything stays respectful.

This is a really good opportunity, for those of us who are having a hard time staying excited about creating SSSS-inspired art right now, to practice separating author from work. Grade E Cat shared a great video about continuing to love a work and draw strength and inspiration from it even after discovering irreconcilable differences of values between yourself and the author. Link here for anyone who hasn't seen it on the Lovely People or Comfort Corner boards:
Spoiler: show

Okay ice cream brain is here talk to you guys tomorrow

(Edited to add: I would like to share art here. I used to do a daily drawing thing with my cousins, but you know how it is, people lose steam eventually. Having somebody to share my drawings with was a nice motivator to actually do them, and I do want to do them. So for my part, I'll try submitting something to the Forum's Art Museum every once in a while? That seems like such a great space, and it seems independent of what's going on in SSSS.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:14:37 PM by SkyWhalePod »
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 10:19:23 PM »
What we have today is extraordinary in the web spaces of today.

This is very certainly true. Let's not lose it.

It's late evening here and I'm starting to fade; but just throwing a couple of things in rapidly, and will come back as I can (busy time of year otherwise for me):

One, I think we do need a central focus. But while I don't think we should drop the SSSS connection altogether, I don't think that can be our sole or main long-term focus; and I think that keeping SSSS in the name, long-term, might well do ourselves a disservice; especially if Minna keeps heading in directions she seems all to likely to be heading in. I'm not sure how to put it clearly; but I think that what attracted at least many of us to SSSS in the first place included the combination of characters drawn to look like humans (if not of the full representation of humans); groups of people working together without any apparent need to follow gender roles; and the representation of a culture outside of our current mainstream culture, not necessarily because of opposition to the mainstream culture but because we wanted to see additional options, other possibilities.

And Minna now seems to be opposed to those other possibilities; and quite possibly also to the rejection of, or shifts in, gender roles. So I think SSSS may no longer work as a main focus.

But we could focus, maybe, on finding and following other artworks that do show such possibilities? That wouldn't require dropping SSSS fanworks; could easily be in addition to that. And we could pick up new people from those artworks -- I doubt we're going to be picking up much in the way of new people from a link on SSSS if/after it dies, in any case.

The other thing I'm wondering, and maybe I've just missed it: how are these forums hosted and how is that funded? And are those who have been doing that interested in keeping going, and if so in what fashion? -- I know they're independent of Minna; but I don't know what is, and just who are, required to keep them in existence.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 12:31:36 AM »
thorny and SkyWhalePod and Grey, great ideas all.

I especially like the idea of going back and rereading the comic page by page, and commenting on it among ourselves. That would also give the newer readers a chance to enjoy the early comments as well as the scholarship of readers such as Laufey and Mikko, who added much of their learning to the early comments, not to mention the many comments of those who were just a delight to talk with (Rachel and Iceea, we still miss you) and really interesting people in general, like DaveBro,  Sunflower and so many others.

Anyway, I am sure I have already bent your ears on the subject of how important it is to build a community before undertaking any major longterm project, including, and perhaps especially, survival. And here we have a community ready made! Let’s do it, and continue to broaden our understanding.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 02:51:40 AM »
I don't know how long I'm going to stick around after the comic's end, but I'd like to at least finish the "first arc" of True Ruler (people who remember where that story was going may guess that events of 2020-2021 would have made it awkward to write my ongoing chapter even if I hadn't written myself into a corner for a storyline I want to keep exploring on top of that) and the story idea that I had and started writing down because of the above. And when I do, I'll be wanting to publish them and announce them. And last night, I figured out how I could make a (technical) crossover between SSSS and the work that's becoming my new favorite work.

Otherwise, happy the video was appreciated. I genuinely just shared it because a recent post had mentioned the subject one of the times I checked the LP thread.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:03:47 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Sevseres

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 04:49:48 AM »
Thanks for this thread! I agree with the other comments and first thing I propose is let's not... talk about the new comic here? I don't intend to read it and I certainly wouldn't want the forum to be flooded with discussions regarding it. Let's just act like it doesn't exist? Call me problematic but I certainly act like the bunny comic doesn't exist. Anyway it's just my take though. I too love the community and I think it wouldn't dissapear after SSSS considering the talk here is not mainly about SSSS anyway.
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Raaffiie

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 04:52:57 AM »
My thoughts on this are mostly already covered in the posts by SkyWhalePod and thorny, I think.

In brief, my sentiments are that all of us are here because of something that we saw in the comic, and we have found a sense of community which is apart from the comic itself. I don't think that keeping the community going will be an easy task, but if we can just manage to grasp what it was which collectively drew us to the comic in the first place, I think that will already be a great achievement. I'm not sure how one would go about that structurally, though. SkyWhalePod's idea of revisiting and reviewing the story page by page might be a good start, though I would maybe mix up the ordering so it doesn't become a straight-up reread. Kind of like how you turn an artwork upside-down to see how it comes together when you're less focussed on interpreting the overall patterns.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:48:43 AM by Raaffiie »
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 06:34:35 AM »
Organizing a re-read in any form sounds wonderful. There were so many interesting discussions in the comments, I think it would be greatly benefitial for us to continue them or just reflect given our new perspective.

I think that we don't have to change the name of the forum, just maybe shift the focus and expand. Initially we were drawn here because of SSSS, and judging by how lovely this community turned out to be, many more interesting people can become a part of this through the comic. Although, if Minna wasn't particularly honest in her intention to keep SSSS as it was till the end, then yes, keeping the name can prove.. problematic.

Sevseres, I understand your concern. Still, there are quite a few people here who can choose to read Minna's next works for various reasons, and who knows, maybe it will even be thought-provoking. There is no harm in accommodating those of us who are not as opposed to this (or future newcomers who will have read these new comics) and creating a new board for that. However, I do fear that such a board may require stricter moderation.

Personally, I don't have any new ideas or the opportunity to make any fanwork, but I will try my best to be more active nevertheless.
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden: