Author Topic: Lofoten an Economic Superpower?  (Read 2877 times)

catbirds

Re: Lofoten an Economic Superpower?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 12:34:35 AM »
I am not sure if someone would try to open the seed vault. If you can manage to go there without being eaten by a sea beast, you could literally catch tons of fish on the way. So less travel copuld bring more food. And you have just to cook the fish an can eat it, seeds need months until you can eat anything.

My understanding is that Norway in general has very little flat land that's good for those big monoculture farms that many of us get our food from. Catching fish IS a bit more practical in Norway. But I do want to see if they're still looking after the big vault now, especially since Norway doesn't seem to be a tech-focussed nation in SSSS and I'm pretty sure that big freezer needs electricity? I also just found out today that salmon sushi was a Norwegian idea first.

http://minnasundberg.fi/gallery/lockedshelter.htm This is probably, probably the closest thing I can find to a proper doomsday-shelter-y artwork in her gallery, but that's obviously not the seed vault. IDK if there's some other grand archive of her work elsewhere, but also I didn't keep track of her work until like 2017. Oh, some CoH stuff also looked doomsday-shelter-y I guess.

I wonder if we'll ever need to use it...

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 02:04:51 AM »
As things are probably going at present, we are more likely to find the vault when the permafrost finishes melting and it is being inundated.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 03:02:47 AM »
But I do want to see if they're still looking after the big vault now, especially since Norway doesn't seem to be a tech-focussed nation in SSSS and I'm pretty sure that big freezer needs electricity?
If we're talking about the Svalbard Global Seed Vault here (and barring the climate getting royally screwed), it's been built into the permafrost for a reason.

http://minnasundberg.fi/gallery/lockedshelter.htm This is probably, probably the closest thing I can find to a proper doomsday-shelter-y artwork in her gallery, but that's obviously not the seed vault.
For the SSSS-verse fate of that vault, Minna has decreed that the post-Rash humanity has not yet seen any need to visit it. (I.e., the famine in Iceland had causes other than a lack of seeds.) As things stand now, that's rather unlikely to change anymore ...

As things are probably going at present, we are more likely to find the vault when the permafrost finishes melting and it is being inundated.
If and when the flooding reaches the vault, at 130 m above current sea level, I suppose that we'll also be having an unforeseen (by those filling the vault) interest in agriculturally viable epipelagic plants ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 07:28:08 AM »
Those commonly do better in….somewhat warmer climates.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 10:52:10 AM »
I don't think humans can stay alive and healthy on a diet of nothing but fish. A diet with lots of fish, fine; but you do need some other stuff to go with it.

Land that doesn't support modern large-scale monocrop farming can produce a whole lot of food with ancient terrace multicrop systems. Trying to figure out versions suitable for the area in question with a lack of experience and seed scavenged from people's home gardens wouldn't be easy, and the problem most likely contributed to starvation in the first years; but, as there are people alive and healthy in year 90, some progress must have been made towards figuring it out.

Róisín

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
Yeah, you are right, though adding some seaweed to the fish can help a lot! And if you have seaweed you can eat some kinds (more than most people might think), and given enough seaweed and rock to spread it on and at least a few months of warmish weather, you can grow vegetables. My gran used to grow amazing crops of healthy potatoes in beds made by piling seaweed a couple of feet deep, weighting it with rocks until it began to rot down, planting seed potatoes into the first layer of seaweed and when they sprouted continuing to pile seaweed on top, heaping itdeeper as the haulms of the potatoes began to poke through the surface.  In Autumn you harvested your spuds by peeling back the layers - they came out white and clean, firm and delicious, with never a trace of blight.

The next year you planted leaf vegetables, then turnips or beets, and eventually barley. Also, a lot of common weeds are edible……

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
With most people dead and regrowth of forests, the Athmosphere would heat much slower. This is discussed as a cause for the Little Ice Age. The genocide in the Americas was big enough, to cool the planet down.