Author Topic: Lofoten an Economic Superpower?  (Read 2884 times)

Njawl

• Super-Newbie
Lofoten an Economic Superpower?
« on: November 07, 2020, 11:32:14 AM »
Here's a little something I've been thinking about. It's fun to speculate what it looks like in the inhabited areas. So according to the map a good amount of Lofoten survived. Ok, but what's so special about the area? The north Atlantic cod comes to spawn here due to the warm waters of the Gulf stream being caught in the fjord. This makes it ones of the greatest fishing spots in the world. With the comparatively large population of Iceland it's likely they would import and in a world where acquiring more farmland is dangerous work it's a vital resource. Due to this strategic resource Lofoten has the potential to be the trade capital of the known world.

But there's more. There's many things that go in their favour.
  • Lofoten is in a defensible position. Since the fish gathers in a fjord it's easier to defend it against sea monsters. Lofoten is also a group of islands so cutting off the road to the mainland is an effective way to defend it in combination with the hills and mountains and the lack of forests. I think it's likely they survived the initial breakout of the virus.
  • Not only is there fishing the vest of Lofoten has large amounts of farmland.
  • There are several drydocks making repair of large ships possible.
  • It's a good possibility Lofoten has power since there are hydroelectric power plants. It may not be enough for everyone but just having some for the industry is a major boost.
  • The region has airports. With the access of oil there's the possibility of getting airplanes working again.

There you have it. Hope I'm not forgetting anything. Do you think this would be a significant part of the world of SSSS? Lofoten is an iconic part of Norway and it's neat to think how the community would look like with them going back to their more traditional lifestyle.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Lofoten an Economic Superpower?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »
I agree, it does look like a favorable position! The location is good for exporting to Iceland, and the defendability of the main fishing water would certainly be important.

I’d love to see some of Norway in the comic too! I assume the next adventure will be in Sweden, ut maybe they could visit Norway in between?

Oh, and welcome to the Forum! We have an introduction thread too, it’s pinned on the General Board! Do stop by to say hello!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »
Welcome indeed, Njawl! Have you had a squirrel cookie yet? They're really quite good…
Honestly you do make an excellent point, but I worry about the accessibility for others. Most of the major remaining settlements seem to coalesce around the Baltic; Lofotur's really quite out of the way. I could, however, see it becoming rather prosperous in its own way--maybe not the trade capital, but an important trading post in the north nonetheless, and one that provides goods for both Norway and Iceland. (Reckon you're on to something!)
And in any case, I'm not from the region nor can I claim special knowledge of it, so there may be bits I've missed.
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 06:54:14 PM »
On the Map of the Known World http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=66 there are people there, and also on the mainland in Rana and Finøya. Now that I look at it again, I also notice one of the very few mines being there (on the mainland that is). Most of the Norwegian population is concentrated around the Sognefjorden in the south, but as the fourth (and last one listed) Norwegian settlement has 1100 inhabitants, there could be something on the lines of 2000 people or more in the three settlements marked on the map on Lofoten and mainland. Travel is by ship along the coast, like it’s been since time immemorial (isn’t the coast the “Northern Way”, i.e. Norway?)

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Njawl

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Thanks, guys. I don't think I'll be sticking around the forum too much, I basically wanted to mention this point as I noticed there were no posts on it (it's where I'm from, too). I'll check out those squirrel cookies. My curiosity is piqued.

You make some good points. I don't think the distance to the baltic is going to be too much of a problem. Lofoten, or the government of Norway if there is one, can make goods from the nearby mines or the very least sell it to Iceland. The region will be able to sell goods further south and Iceland probably have unique goods and can produce in higher quantities than say Sweden. While most settlements are likely very self sufficient on food the extra imports will help with growing populations and to reduce the numbers of farmers needed. This provides more manpower for industry, military and research. The ships transporting the fish will likely have coolers keeping it fresh and the good old method of making stockfish reduce spoiling further and supplying larger quantities in one run.

I didn't notice Svolvær not being listed on the populated towns. Either the area was left out or the area has recently been reclaimed. Or the population dispersed to the countryside as you said. The potential is still there so it's likely that people are migrating there.

The name of Norway does indeed stem from the name of "the northern way".

Anyone ever thought about Svalbard on the forum? There's the doomsday seed vault and it's a good source for coal.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
Just the largest settlements are listed by name and population. Svolvær is marked on the map as populated, it just has less people’s than the listed ones.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 08:08:47 PM »
The Svalbard seed vault has been on my mind since the tale began (retired field botanist and botany lecturer here, and general useful plant fanatic). I will be very interested to see if Minna does anything about it in the story - some of her early concept art suggested she might.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 02:06:47 AM »
I do hope this isn't just a one-off from you Njawl, because it's quite well-considered.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:12:50 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 06:02:43 PM »
The Svalbard seed vault has been on my mind since the tale began (retired field botanist and botany lecturer here, and general useful plant fanatic). I will be very interested to see if Minna does anything about it in the story - some of her early concept art suggested she might.

Can I see some of this concept art? I want to try to collect different primary sources. thank you.

Also, with the impact of Global climate change being drastically lessened in this world, does that change this possibility?
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
I’m not sure how to even begin looking for the drawing. It was one of the characters on what looked like the steps of the vault, years ago.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

AndrogynousAutarch

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »
I’m not sure how to even begin looking for the drawing. It was one of the characters on what looked like the steps of the vault, years ago.

Oh, well.

I think that the vault was possibly opened already, which might have contributed to a quicker societal recovery after the first famines started.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »
I think that the vault was possibly opened already
At some point, back in adventure 1, Minna gave Word of God that the vault hasn't been opened yet.

... ah, it was on the occasion of the World Map.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 01:41:17 PM »
Oh, well.

I think that the vault was possibly opened already, which might have contributed to a quicker societal recovery after the first famines started.

I am not sure if someone would try to open the seed vault. If you can manage to go there without being eaten by a sea beast, you could literally catch tons of fish on the way. So less travel copuld bring more food. And you have just to cook the fish an can eat it, seeds need months until you can eat anything.

AndrogynousAutarch

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »
I am not sure if someone would try to open the seed vault. If you can manage to go there without being eaten by a sea beast, you could literally catch tons of fish on the way. So less travel copuld bring more food. And you have just to cook the fish an can eat it, seeds need months until you can eat anything.

I'm imagining that during the early stages it may have happened. As far as I'm aware, there is no concrete timeline of when things got their worst after all. I think that while what you say is true, perhaps not so during the early waves.
And his name—his

danckert

• life is soup, I am fork
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them (de/dem)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 03:32:20 AM »
Just swinging by to say that Lofoten has several  well kept coastal fort remains from the nazi occupation - cannon positions, bunkers etc. Those could come in handy against seatrolls too! And the larger wildlife of northern Norway is pretty limited. The region is big and not densely populated, so a lot of people could avoid catching the virus. I'm going up there in July, I'll keep an eye out
don't limit yourself to panicking at the disco
panic everywhere
follow your wildest, most anxious dreams