Author Topic: YouTube videos by Hummingfluff - discussion  (Read 3372 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: YouTube videos by Hummingfluff - discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »
Vulpes it’s very rare to have screen doors in Finland, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any! In windows they are common but never in doors.

I wondered if that might be the case. Whyever not? We had screen doors at the cottage, and on warm days both the front and back doors were propped open to get a nice breeze off the water blowing straight through the house. Every door had its own characteristic sound - twangy spring, wheezy pneumatic cylinder that keeps the door from slamming... or resonant bang! Very much the soundtrack of childhood summers. Enough mosquitoes found their way in as it was. Same story where I live now - it's nice to be able to open the door when it's hot and not end up with a house full of insects.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 02:42:45 AM »
I have no idea why, neither windows nor doors have screens here in NZ.  I was going to say they don't exist, but a quick check of Google shows you can now get this in high-end and custom doors for $$$.  You can get magnetic overlays for windows, presumably ones with ferrous content in their frames (not a given).  This in a country where gaps in window and door housing were put in deliberately for many years, or louvred windows that cannot close all the way, ostensibly for ventilation.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »
I have no idea why, neither windows nor doors have screens here in NZ.  I was going to say they don't exist, but a quick check of Google shows you can now get this in high-end and custom doors for $$$.  You can get magnetic overlays for windows, presumably ones with ferrous content in their frames (not a given).  This in a country where gaps in window and door housing were put in deliberately for many years, or louvred windows that cannot close all the way, ostensibly for ventilation.

And you have biting insects that you'd rather keep out, no?

The screens in the childhood cottage were adjustable inserts. The process of putting them in and extending them to full window width generally admitted quite a few bugs, but after that they were pretty good even if it wasn't a tight fit.

But back on topic... I'm too lazy to try to find it, but isn't the illustration she's doing in the video an extra that's in the new book?
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

AmericanViking

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: he, him
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
But back on topic... I'm too lazy to try to find it, but isn't the illustration she's doing in the video an extra that's in the new book?
Yes, you can actually catch a glimpse of it in the video when she flips through it. This illustration is amazing, everything is super detailed.
Chapter Break Survivor:
:A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: