Author Topic: YouTube videos by Hummingfluff - discussion  (Read 3370 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
YouTube videos by Hummingfluff - discussion
« on: May 06, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
Minna has been making YouTube videos of her art for a while (well, over a year) now. They are well worth checking out! There are speedpaint videos of her art, often watercolor or gouache on paper, and she talks about her technique and various subjects about being an artist. A special treat are the sketchbook tours, tha t give us a glimpse on her development work on the comic as well!

So, this thread is for discussing the videos, both on the content (“what do you think that skeleton was from”) and artistic (“that shading was so interesting” or “do you know what pencil she uses”) etc. So, if it’s about something in the videos, this is the place!

There is a considerable backlog of the videos already. So to help others participate, make sure to make it clear which video you are referring to! Easy way to do that is to link it, YouTube videos link well here!

Here is the YouTube home for Hummingfluff, with links to all of the videos:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvM6J4Cazb-GL11KFe8eCgA/featured

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: YouTube videos by Hummingfluff - discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 04:40:59 PM »
I will go first. The need for this thread was detected when a few of us commented on the newest video, Sketchbook tour May 2020. I’ll repeat my comments to get this thread started.

Firstly, the video starts with a bit of a shock as the first spread looks as if Lalli has shot Reynir!  O_O This is of course not the case (Minna comments that Lalli is angry and Reynir is sad for some reason) but I know I wasn’t the only one to think that.

On a happier note, near the end on a spread with pose practice with the crew, there is a sweet sketch of Mikkel and Sigrun together. Mikkel is sitting on the ground reading, and Sigrun is leaning on his back, and looking like she simply enjoys being close to him. Awwwww! <3 :sigrun: <3 :mikkel: <3

There is also the watercolor of Mikkel amd Emil eating hamburgers together. They have earned it!

/>

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »
Thanks for getting this rolling!

The preview image of the video reminds me, I absolutely love the pages near the end on the brown paper, using only black, orange, and a bit of white for highlights, especially the hummingfluff and flowers. The simplicity is really appealing.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 07:44:05 PM »
am i the only one who noticed that in the newest sketchbook spread, Sigrun and Mikkel seem to be staring at each other knowingly? :3

Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »
am i the only one who noticed that in the newest sketchbook spread, Sigrun and Mikkel seem to be staring at each other knowingly? :3

/>

Ha, very good! Didn't know that was up, thanks for mentioning it.

Mariiii

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 04:54:39 AM »

Yees, I saw it too !

Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 06:16:02 AM »
I haven’t had time to watch it yet, but I noticed it on the preview picture already  :sigrun: <3 :mikkel:

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 12:18:59 AM »
So a few days ago, Minna posted another speed-painting video and I just wanted to say how much I adore the watercolor painting! I absolutely love the colors used and how light the piece feels, plus the hummingfluff character looks so cute!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 04:37:06 PM »
Hi CeilingFan, nice to see you on the forum too! We have an introduction thread, why not pop by there too? (It’s not mandatory, just fun)

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 10:14:33 PM »
Hello, and thank you for the welcome! I suppose I'll be headed to the introduction thread now  :)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »
So I watched the latest Video just now and I´m not on YouTube but I have to get it off my chest somewhere so:

The bookcovers are so pretty !?!! I´m so exited!!!! Plus a painting with Tuuri in it!!!

*cough* Alright. So now that this is settled, proceed as you were. Have a nice day everyone  :'D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 12:14:54 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
I remember seeing the sneak peek of that picture on Minna's instagram and was waiting to see the final picture and YouTube video! It looks so good! And its fun to see her process drawing the picture too :))

I also really like the color scheme and layout of her studio, and am glad that we got to see some of it in this video!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:15:48 PM by CeilingFan »

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
It's interesting seeing the drawing process, the image is lovely, I love the studio tours, and am thrilled (and envious of those in Europe) about the books... but mostly I wonder why Minna apparently doesn't have screen doors! That was a lot of mosquito-slapping.  :))

I just finished struggling to install aluminum screen on a sliding patio door so that we can have the glass open without worrying about the more escape-oriented cat shredding flimsy fibreglass screen, so I'm a bit focused on screens just now.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »
Since Minna wondered where she has gotten the previous editions' bookplates from, I had a look ...

The bookplate for vol2 (delivered from Hivemill, mind) is still on its backing paper, which reads "Spinnaker Strip-Tac". Which is apparently the make of the plain sticker material, not the print shop putting the base Kitty artwork on it, but still.

The vol1 and ARtD bookplates came already sticking in the respective book, and have no watermark or such that my flashlight could reveal ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 05:09:36 PM »
Vulpes it’s very rare to have screen doors in Finland, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any! In windows they are common but never in doors.