Author Topic: Covid 19 - How we survived the Rash!  (Read 8333 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Covid 19 - How we survived the Rash!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:34 PM »
Star used to play quite well. He hasn’t practised in years, but now he is spending more time at home and less in hospital he hopes to join in more.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 09:38:18 PM »
The Metropolitan Opera and the Vienna State Opera have both been offering daily free streams of different titles (available for 24 hours after initial stream), and between the two of them I've watched so much opera in the last couple of weeks. It's something I like but usually don't get the opportunity to enjoy, so this really delights me even if the circumstances are... what they are.

If anyone here likes that kind of thing, here's the upcoming schedules and instructions for how to watch: The Met Mar 31-Apr 12 & Staatsoper up to April 13
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I'm not a hero... just very stubborn
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
Star used to play quite well. He hasn’t practised in years, but now he is spending more time at home and less in hospital he hopes to join in more.

Well, there's no answer to that, so I'll post the complete poem, which should clear up the dulcimer reference.

Kubla Khan    

By Samuel Taylor Coleridge

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round;
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

But oh! that deep romantic chasm which slanted
Down the green hill athwart a cedarn cover!
A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e’er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced:
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher’s flail:
And mid these dancing rocks at once and ever
It flung up momently the sacred river.
Five miles meandering with a mazy motion
Through wood and dale the sacred river ran,
Then reached the caverns measureless to man,
And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean;
And ’mid this tumult Kubla heard from far
Ancestral voices prophesying war!

The shadow of the dome of pleasure
Floated midway on the waves;
Where was heard the mingled measure
From the fountain and the caves.
It was a miracle of rare device,
A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
A damsel with a dulcimer
In a vision once I saw:
It was an Abyssinian maid
And on her dulcimer she played,
Singing of Mount Abora.
Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight ’twould win me,
That with music loud and long,
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
Ah, Coleridge! Yes, I recognised the reference to the ‘damsel with the dulcimer’, but you know me, tough old bushie and not at all damselish.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 06:42:24 PM »

Role-playing games have hit an hiatus, with the group mainly of older members, and one of them in a higher-risk category if infected; and LARP is right out! Not that I really play any longer, but I miss the team.

I'm not sure if this is an option for you or not, but there are quite a few ways of adapting an RPG to an online setting. There was an article on DnDbeyond recently which covered many of the most important points. It speaks about Dungeons and Dragons specifically, but many of the tips can be adapted to other RPG formats.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/750-new-players-guide-how-to-play-d-d-online

I've been playing DnD online with my friends for around 2 years now (and did Ryuutama for a few months online as well), so we've figured out quite a few of the kinks already. If you'd like, I'd be happy to talk about what works for us and help you figure out a way for you to continue playing with your group  :)

On another note, Eurovision is playing stay at home concerts every week leading up to the cancelled Eurovision date! I'm not ashamed to say that I nearly cried when I started watching. Eurovision is really important to me and my friends and we always make an effort to have fun, so not having it to look forwards to was a pretty big hit. If anybody else wants to check out the Eurovision schedule you can find it here:

https://eurovision.tv/eurovision-home-concerts
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:47:33 PM by Gwenno »
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »
Social isolation has motivated me to start painting my massive backlog of Warhammer 40,000 models. Here's the first one I've completed in several years - a fabulous space monkey!

1: Yes, Orangutans aren't monkeys. Ook.
2: It's not even an Orangutan, it's a Jokaero which - I assure you - is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
3: I like saying "fabulous space monkey"
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 05:40:10 AM »
It is indeed fabulous! Is it a cyborg or are those it’s natural hands?

I also like saying “fabulous space monkey” but I don’t dare to! It’s your ape so that counts for something, who knows what it might do to me if I did
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 05:53:05 AM »
2: It's not even an Orangutan, it's a Jokaero which - I assure you - is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Given their usual ways of locomotion, I wouldn't be surprised if orangutans would love to monkey around in zero-g.
Well, until muscle atrophy sets in, of course.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 05:59:18 AM »
Social isolation has motivated me to start painting my massive backlog of Warhammer 40,000 models. Here's the first one I've completed in several years - a fabulous space monkey!

Nice Jokaero!

I finished five of my Necrons yesterday, but I don't have any good pics at the moment. I'll post some when I'm done with all ten of them (should be around the next weekend, maybe sooner).

Meanwhile, butter good to all, and stay safe!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 07:12:27 AM »
It is indeed fabulous! Is it a cyborg or are those it’s natural hands?

I also like saying “fabulous space monkey” but I don’t dare to! It’s your ape so that counts for something, who knows what it might do to me if I did

Thank you! The hands are indeed its own, but they're adorned with all kinds of inexplicable technological gewgaws, many of which are sophisticated weapons, so yes, you'd better be careful ;D

Given their usual ways of locomotion, I wouldn't be surprised if orangutans would love to monkey around in zero-g.
Well, until muscle atrophy sets in, of course.

A major concern for all space primates!

Nice Jokaero!

I finished five of my Necrons yesterday, but I don't have any good pics at the moment. I'll post some when I'm done with all ten of them (should be around the next weekend, maybe sooner).

Meanwhile, butter good to all, and stay safe!

Thank you! I look forward to seeing your soulless xenos abominations! (Yes, Jokearo are - strictly speaking - soulless xenos abominations, but they're useful soulless xenos abominations and hence get a free pass)

Butter good and stay safe to everyone!

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »
Some of my friends and I have been having crafting/tea time chats over Zoom, and another of my friends and I have started a weekly anime watching session also over Zoom, which has been nice. We all live in different cities, so we're actually seeing each others' faces more often than we normally would be!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »
I would like to note that for much of today this thread, titled How We Survived the Rash, has been immediately followed in the threads list by the Bad Jokes thread.

Bad jokes are definitely useful.

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »
I look forward to seeing your soulless xenos abominations!
Here ya go. Decided to put everything in a spoiler because there is a bit of story going on with these pictures and I don't want to clutter the thread with huge posts. If it bothers you, sorry for that. Also, sorry for the quality, my phone camera kinda sucks and my hands don't help with their constant shaking.

Spoiler: show
So, here are the members of the Carcinos Special Cohort from the Nephrekh-Tamatoa dynasty, hand-picked by their overlord to scout out the forces of the fleshlings on a yet-unnamed planet and pave the way for a larger force, with the ultimate goal of awakening the dormant tomb-world below and bringing the planet back into the fold of the Necron empire. The task will not be easy, as the fleshling forces are numerous and varied, and a few other powers wish to claim the world for themselves. But even so, the Special Cohort will not waver in their purpose to bring glory to their overlord and their ancient empire.

First, we have our fearless expedition leader, Thanatar the Gilded (center) along with his brothers and bodyguards, Ikhatar the Flenser (left) and Anubitar the Cruel (right). The long sleep has not been kind to the personality circuits of the two, but their scythe-wielding skills have not diminished a bit.

Next up go the snipers, Eknotath the Storm's Eye (right) and his understudy, Tzantath the Shrouded (left). Though they're technically mercenaries, they've maintained close ties with the Nephrekh-Tamatoa dynasty for a long time, and have their bodies painted in the overlord's personal colors. Over the millennia, Eknotath seems to have developed a morbid fixation with death, something that exasperates his student to no end, but his aim remains impeccable as ever.

Here, we have Amnokh the Victorious (center), the supplementary leader of the expedition. His extensive combat experience allows him to take command in less crucial missions or whenever Thanatar is out of commission, with the latter even granting him temporary authority over higher-ranking members of the Cohort on occasion. Alongside him march Homanat the Lifetaker (left) and Thotep the Unforgiving (right). They're basically grunts, there's not much to be said about them.

Finally, there is the duo of Praetorians, overseeing the expedition on behalf of the Triarch: Khytok the Illuminated (left) and Anokh the Torchbearer (right). Dour and taciturn, they're there to make sure that the ancient laws are obeyed (and resources aren't squandered). Though usually distanced from the rest of the team, they gladly lend their combat skills to Thanatar whenever they judge it necessary.

And that would be everyone so far. I'm glad to have finished them, they've been stuck on my shelf half-done for half a year. Next up are those bad boys:
Hope I can get them done in a reasonable amount of time.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 03:25:49 PM by RanVor »

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 12:47:29 AM »
Here ya go. Decided to put everything in a spoiler because there is a bit of story going on with these pictures and I don't want to clutter the thread with huge posts.

Very nice! I particularly like the green effect on the Praetorian's staff. Are they intended as a Kill Team?

My latest model is this 1990s metal Necromunda ganger with Imperial Guard arms. I painted him rather dark and as a result he's almost impossible to get a decent picture of...

I am thinking about (when GW starts selling again) kitbashing a Taurox and a shipping container to make a 40k Cat Tank!

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »
Very nice! I particularly like the green effect on the Praetorian's staff. Are they intended as a Kill Team?

My latest model is this 1990s metal Necromunda ganger with Imperial Guard arms. I painted him rather dark and as a result he's almost impossible to get a decent picture of...

I am thinking about (when GW starts selling again) kitbashing a Taurox and a shipping container to make a 40k Cat Tank!
Yup, they're all Kill Team. I kinda lost interest in the "big" 40k when the 8th edition hit. I have some...strong opinions regarding the ruleset. Necrons are my third Kill Team, after the Genestealer Cults and the Tyranids. I might post some pics of those once I get them back since they're currently stored somewhere else.

You did a great job as well!  Necromunda models in general are great, and you did this one justice. I really love the Cat-tank conversion idea too!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:23:23 AM by RanVor »