Author Topic: What the Heck is the Rash, anyway?  (Read 5782 times)

Joe Steele

• i can't believe you've done this
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
What the Heck is the Rash, anyway?
« on: March 07, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »
The Rash illness(aka Spanish Rash) is a bit of a mystery, isn't it? I mean, it doesn't seem to behave like any pathogen we've seen. Here's what we know:
1. Affects all mammals besides the blessed felines.
2. Can't survive long outside hosts.
3. Transmitted via biting, contact with infected tissue. Also spreads via air.
4. Symptoms include the characteristic rash, fever, vomiting, coma, and death.
5. Causes mutations.
6.Traps its victims in hideous, screaming mounds of flesh that have forgotten how to die. Trapped soul means nervous system still intact.
7. Killed by sunlight.
8. Weakened by cold climates.
9.Not responsive to vaccines or cure attempts.
10. Only known cure causes brain death.

My hypothesis is that it's a bioweapon. What do you all think?
Native: 🇺🇸
Learning: 🇩🇪 🇸🇪
Want to Learn: 🇫🇮

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: What the Heck is the Rash, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 01:00:30 AM »
I believe there has been discussion of this on the Forum before. But that was some years ago, and we now have more data from which to speculate. Maybe the mods will want to merge the two threads?

However, as to what it is: there are many, many possibilities. My favourites are: alien bioweapon intended to get rid of all those pesky mammals on what is otherwise a perfectly coloniseable planet; human bioweapon either escaped or carelessly/prematurely deployed; research project gone wrong; or the one that seems likeliest to me: a natural mutation of a mycobacterium, possibly permitting cross-species infection (after all, that process has already given us Buruli ulcer, leprosy and tuberculosis, among others). But I do not think it is a virus, that just doesn’t fit with the environmental constraints.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
Whatever it is, it's got to have a magical component. The extent of the physical changes while still allowing the being to stay alive, and the apparent immortality, including of beings that have no way of getting food or water (such as the tied-up horse that Sleipnope takes over), don't make any sense without a magical component.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
True indeed, thorny! Can’t see how else it might work. The question is how did the magic come into it. I posit the possibility of a mad scientist with magic, whether he knows it or not?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »
Weird thought: what if someone with magic learned of a bioweapon under development, tried to use magic to make it less deadly, and wound up with a "twisted wish" result?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 06:52:33 PM »
I agree that there has to magic to it. But was there magic first and Rash then, or the other way around? Are the appearance of the Illness and the return/ reawakening of the gods both consequence of yet another event, something that has not been revealed to us?

Looney_DAC’s comment got me thinking. What if the Rash is or originates from some sort of chaos magic, something like the Warp in WH40.000 or the Dungeon Dimensions of Discworld, or is simply demonic. In any case, the “dark side” of a struggle unknown to humankind. But for whatever reason the Rash attacks or escapes to or accidentally gets hurled into our dimension and into Earth, with very unfortunate consequences.

Then some of the “good guys” from there follow to fix it but discover that this world is particularly vulnerable to whatever the Rash is. So they set to doing as much damage control as is possible and assume the identity of the remaining humans’ old gods. Some of the humans are capable of acting as conduits of the power of these good guys (the mages) but most aren’t. The good guys do what they can, try to keep the survivors alive but are unable to cleanse the entire world. At least they have closed the rift or whatever it came through, so in time when the immune populations grow and more and more of the Rash creatures get killed, a healthier equilibrium will again be attained. Hopefully.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »
I don't have any interesting speculation about what the rash is or how it came about, but I would take a bet on how it ends -- the reason the serum from Adventure 1 didn't quite work was due to magical reasons that would have been unknown in Y0.... but which could be identified in Y90. Namely -- the serum does something that causes the soul to be trapped in the body(1) forever (as a side effect of which -- apparent brain death). But as we've seen, those trapped souls can be released. And I would bet that if the soul is released soon after the serum is administered, the brain death side effect is reversed (since the soul isn't trapped in the body, it's just back to normal, and the body hasn't deteriorated).

So I'd bet that, at the very end of the story, someone (probably Onni) will be infected, injected with the serum to buy a little more time, then Reynir realizes that he can cure the rash completely. So SSSS will end on a positive note, where the rash is now curable with a combination of the serum / a mage.

(1) or more specifically, the soul could be trapped in the dream world, so the affected person isn't able to resume consciousness. This could be the origin of the malevolent spirit cluster we've seen in the dream world. This bit is all speculation, but I think it's not too ridiculous to guess that had Lalli drowned in the dream world, he probably would have died in real life as well.

e; and of course, I speculated this same exact thing in 2017 <_< just with less words
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:14:09 PM by yung_chrysanthemum »
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
I've always wondered if the return of magic to the world is because of the massive drop in the human population caused by the Rash. Not exactly sure how this would work - maybe human brains cause some kind of low level interference that in sufficient quantities prevents magic from working? Of course this doesn't explain the magical features of the Rash.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 07:30:44 AM »
My headcanon on the Rash is that it all starts with a rupture in some balance of power between Light and Dark Magic.
(because, as many referred, there's no way for the Rash to be just a biological illness)

It's not that those things didn't exist before, but they were restrained for centuries, which coincides with the development of science (or is caused by it?)
So someone, with or without intent, broke the balance, allowing the creation of the Rash and also the return of the old Gods and magic to Earth.

As Jitter mentioned humans acting as conduits of Light Magic, also those infected with the Rash could act as conduits of Dark Magic. That would be the source of the troll's "dark voice".
I'd also follow her idea of some trans-dimensional rift, with said rupture allowing a greater "flow" of energies and/or upper-dimensional beings into our (unprepared) plane of existence. (and it could happen that what happened on Earth was just a small skirmish (or should we say collateral damage?) in the greater scheme of things).
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
(mod hat - ON)
As mentioned, there is another thread devoted to speculation on the origins of the Rash, with some repetition with this thread.  However, since that thread left off in 2016, there has been an awful lot of comic and exposition gone by.  Do have a read, lots of wonderful theories (!), but I don't see a need to merge these threads at this time.
(mod hat - OFF)

Holy smokes, yung_chrysanthemum, what an ending to the tale that would be!!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 04:17:26 PM »
To carry on with thegreyarea’s comment, for all we know the Rash is the common cold 🤧 of a nearby Demon Dimension 🌪👹☄️ but this dimension just has nearly zero immunity to it. Kind of like what happened when Europeans went to the Americas, only worse.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LilG

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 04:52:09 PM »
Considering what it can do, I think it’s quite likely that it’s supernatural in origin. We’ve seen it affect both the body and the soul of the infected, the “vaccine” managing to stop the bodily infection, the physical, but not curing the soul of the infection, the spiritual, since it still left the cured body behind and became twisted and vengeful. And I think this brings up quite a scary possibility: the rash might also be infecting the spirit world/ afterlife.

Under spoiler for block of text (and excessive theorizing).

Spoiler: show
 While we have seen evidence pointing towards the gods being alive and well both from the comic and from Minna, I don’t think they’re the most reliable sources.

From the comic:
Firstly, while the Icelanders do say that they’ve been “spared by the gods” from the illness, I think everyone that remembers the prologue knows that the murder of everybody that came towards them is most likely what did the trick. Because, if the Norse gods truly were the only thing that spared them, then the Norwegians should have also been spared, being believers themselves.

Secondly, if the gods are alive, why haven’t they shown up on the physical realm to rid the world of the illness once and for all? Surely an army of valkyries and powerful gods, both Norse and Finnish, would do a better job at cleaning the world than merely giving some powers to some people that still have the basic survival needs of a human and can also suffer from the effects of the rash (ex: Reynir), unless they wouldn’t actually be able to do anything much better than the mages they bless if they themselves came to Earth, since they are so few and/ or weakened by the illness.
Also, while we have seen a magical entity come to the physical realm (the Swan) in the comic, not only is she a bird (hence not affected by the rash), but she might also be from one of the few afterlives not touched by the rash, since Tuonela is supposedly quite isolated and not inhabited by many active people, most of its population being under ice (“It is an abode of quiet”, page 751).

Thirdly, if Odin and Freyja were the ones actually giving powers to the Norse mages, as believed by the Icelanders, why would they give such uncharacteristic powers. Wouldn’t they be more inclined to give war and battle related powers (like superhuman strength or godlike agility in battle), rather than runes that seem to have the ability to trick trolls in some sort of way (set them on fire if they step on them, not let them get close to the thing it’s drawn on, make them unconsciously avoid a certain area)? Granted, we have yet to see the full potential of rune magic, but I can’t imagine it being more than a few more aggressive runes (like Reynir’s modified fire rune). I still think Norse mages are provided powers by a divine being, just not the ones we were led to believe are responsible. Maybe a certain someone whose name starts with an “L” is giving all these “tricky” runes (just a lil’ headcanon of mine ;)).

And finally, on the topic of Finnish magic, it seems likely that it is merely a genetic mutation of normal Finnish DNA (perhaps caused by the rash interacting with Finnish genes in some sort of way), because mage powers seem to be transmitted genetically and I think Minna has said at some point that every Finn has a luonto and can use magic to an extent. Mages are just able to use more powerful magic by using their luonto’s full power and calling to higher beings. Also, it’s my personal belief that the gods and demigods they call upon act like a placebo, making them think that, by praying to them, they help the mage, when in reality it just makes the mages focus on the spell, thinking that they are helped by higher entities therefore making the spell work in their favor. Because, if they can help people when they are called upon, then why wouldn’t they help humanity of their own free will, unless, of course, they either don’t want to, which I don’t think is the case, or they can’t, because they’re not alive anymore (hope that makes sense).

And also something else from Minna:
While she did confirm in some of her past streams some things about what the gods are like and how their magic work, I don’t remember her concretely saying that “Yes, the gods ARE in fact alive”. Also, from the way she has formulated those answers, I don’t think she herself has thought about certain aspects of the gods, which she wouldn’t need to do if most of them weren’t actually alive anymore. I think she has also said at some point that she might be required to not answer certain questions or maybe even lie about certain things she’s asked so as to not spoil the comic. She might have even had to formulate those answers on the spot, so as to play with the in-comic that the gods still live and not spoil the story (I sincerely hope I’m not putting words in Minna’s mouth, because this is all from my memory and I hope it’s accurate to what she has said. Also, I hope this doesn’t sound like too much of a conspiracy theory :)).

But, if most gods truly are dead then this brings up an even scarier possibility: where do non-Finns go when they die if Tuonela is the only safe afterlife left? Did pastor Anne lead those souls to a heaven ravaged by the rash or was she guided to Tuonela by someone before she reached her doom? Are all the other people in the known world also guided to Tuonela by the remaining gods, telling them that they are going to the afterlife they were meant to reach, but in reality being led to the Finnish afterlife?

Now, where the rash came from we might never know, since Minna has stated multiple times that she wouldn’t reveal the origins of the rash, unless maybe she wants to take the story in that direction, but I think revealing that the rash also affects the spirit world would keep the mystery alive, since not even the gods (or at least what’s left of them) would know where it came from if or when we get to see them in the story.
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france:

Joe Steele

• i can't believe you've done this
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 07:06:04 PM »
a natural mutation of a mycobacterium, possibly permitting cross-species infection (after all, that process has already given us Buruli ulcer, leprosy and tuberculosis, among others).
I looked this up, and it seems possible that a strain of mycobacterium, maybe M. tuberculosis or M. ulcerans, is to blame for the rash. The symptoms and carriers match up eerily well. However, mycobacteria such as tuberculosis are deadlier in cold climates, meaning the Spanish Rash probably isn't one of them.
Native: 🇺🇸
Learning: 🇩🇪 🇸🇪
Want to Learn: 🇫🇮

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »
Whatever the Rash is, and however it happened, I think we have to posit that at least some people in some governments had inside info about it very near the start.

Bear in mind that the governments of, at least, the Known World were closing borders even before there had been any deaths.

page 8, day 0, Iceland planning to close borders
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=8

page 13, day 3, Denmark closing borders:
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=13

page 14, still I think day 3: illness was first diagnosed only five days prior, the first patients had arrived on a boat only the week before, and the Rash had caused no fatalities at that point. (While some of this may have been for public info, the information we do have otherwise indicates that the Rash does indeed take more than five days to kill.)
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=14

page 34, day 5: first deaths, no recoveries, first patients are entering fourth week of infection, and are acknowledged to be comatose.
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=34

So Iceland and Denmark both closed borders within 5 days of the first official diagnosis, and before any deaths had occurred.

And that is just plain implausibly fast unless people high up in the governments of Iceland and Denmark knew a whole lot more about the Rash than anybody was letting on. Nobody closes borders of even a city, let alone an entire country, for a disease that's only been known for five days and from which nobody has yet died.

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
Whatever the Rash is, and however it happened, I think we have to posit that at least some people in some governments had inside info about it very near the start.

my guess personally would be that the country hosting patient zero was sharing detailed information on their condition with other nations, since the illness was so bizarre (and the patients were probably all comatose when they were located). as for whether the rash was possibly manmade, i don't think we have much to go on there.
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan: