Author Topic: SSSS Monopoly game  (Read 15310 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: SSSS Monopoly game
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2020, 02:26:30 AM »
Here's an idea. Properties in the dreamworld are places where players can construct a Haven. They all cost the same amount and players can only ever own one of them. If another player lands on your haven you don't charge them rent, but you can roll a die each and if you roll higher you can kick them out by moving them back a space.

Haven spaces would be separated by chance and scavenging spaces, so moving through the dreamworld would be a bit hazardous and unpredictable. Or maybe we could have a third deck specifically for dreamworld encounters.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2020, 02:29:03 AM »
There's also mines and hydro.  The waterfall was a rather significant feature in the dream realm, even if we've never seen it again. Also the mysterious dream serpent.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 04:11:37 AM »
Possible dreamworld “transport”:
Stepping stones
Spirit guide
The Bird’s Path (sorry)

I can provide a suggestion of the properties in order of importance for a square board later today if you think it would be helpful. I can also try and come up with at least some of the Fate and Scavenging cards.

I would ask out esteemed Skald for an opinion whether this should be made into a thread of its own after all? I am under the impression you can move bits around so maybe take the last ten or so for the start of the separate thread? Or advise us what to do.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2020, 04:44:12 AM »
Here are the properties anyway in descending order of importance i.e. counterclockwise from GO. There are six locations in Iceland and four each for the others. Sweden may have had more based on overall population, but their villages are small (this is true for Sweden nowadays too, their cities are small although not quite this small).

Iceland is obviously underrepresented but the other towns are just names on the map which would be boring (I already used one of those). Let me know if you’d like me to tweak this in any way.

Reykjavik IS
Mora SE

Rønne DK
Aurland NO
Saimaa FI

Akureyri IS
Selfoss IS
Leikanger NO

Keuruu FI
Nexø DK
Älvdalen SE

Isafjörthur IS
Östersund SE
Dalsnes NO

Akranes IS
Luleå SE
Steinsundsøyna NO

Aakirkeby DK
Joutenvesi FI
Bruardalur IS

Gudhjem DK
Eno FI

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
No Toivosaari? It's being prepared for rebuilding after all!

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
I think Toivosaari is part of Joutenvesi, and in any case was a few dozen people and based on apparent size of island, not likely to ever become much larger. I took the biggest settlements based on the lists on the map of the Known World.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
Here's an idea. Properties in the dreamworld are places where players can construct a Haven...
Haven spaces would be separated by chance and scavenging spaces, so moving through the dreamworld would be a bit hazardous and unpredictable. Or maybe we could have a third deck specifically for dreamworld encounters.

Love the suggestions! I'll work on that.

Here are the properties anyway in descending order of importance

That's great! I'll also work over that

Possible dreamworld “transport”:
Stepping stones
Spirit guide
The Bird’s Path (sorry)

I can provide a suggestion of the properties in order of importance for a square board later today if you think it would be helpful. I can also try and come up with at least some of the Fate and Scavenging cards.

I would ask out esteemed Skald for an opinion whether this should be made into a thread of its own after all? I am under the impression you can move bits around so maybe take the last ten or so for the start of the separate thread? Or advise us what to do.

Those are also nice suggestions. I need some time to try to put it all together for the 4 and 6 sided boards...

I'm feeling that this is turning in a kind of collaborative work of... art? Maybe it should have a thread of it's own, as it's growing and adding people like a giant, which may clutter the space for other artists to show their work.

And transport in the dreamworld......

That's fascinating, Róisín! That said I think that a boat (Reynir's dream boat) would be our best choice (so far)

I like the idea of a pentagonal board, but am not adverse to a hexagon as long as we can come up with something for the sixth side. JoB's suggestion of the dreamworld seems good - we just need to come up with enough spaces to fill it...

That's also amazing and very helpful, Purple! As I said in the beginning I need some time to put it all together, but I want to thank all of you for those fantastic contributions!
BTW I've noticed that today is your birthday! So, congratulations! And I hope that's a very happy day!

See you soon!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:01:48 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2020, 03:48:58 PM »
Here are the Fate (Chance) and Scavenging (Community Chest) cards

The sums in (parentheses) are the ones listed on the Monopoly wiki and are based on the payment on GO neing $200.

FATE (Chance)

Advance to GO - collect xx (200)
Advance to KEURUU - if you pass GO collect xx (200)
Advance to RANA (not STEINSUNDSØYNA) - if you pass GO collect xx (200)
Advance to nearest Utility. If unowned, you may buy it from the Bank. If owned, throw dice and pay owner 10 times the amount thrown.
Advance to the nearest Transport and pay owner twice the normal rent. If Transport is unowned, you may buy it from the Bank (there are two of these)
Books collector buys a rare volume. Collect xxx (50, for dividend)
Proof of Immunity! Get out of quarantine. This card may be saved until used (I suggest removing the option to sell the card because immunity is personal!)
Scratch by a grossling! Go to quarantine. Go directly to quarantine without passing GO.
Engine failure! Go back 3 spaces.
Turret maintenance for all properties! For each house pay xx (25j for each hotel xx (100)
Take a trip on the Krabben Line (advance to Krabben line, if you pass GO, collect xx)
Holiday in Reykjavik! Advance to Reykjavik (if owned, pay normal rent, if unowned, you can buy it)
Payday for expedition crew. Pay each player xx (50)
Your expedition returns! Receive xx (150) in proceedings.
You need boat tickets. Pay xx (15) to Bank
Your drawing wins an art competition. Receive xx (100)

SCAVENGING (Community chest)

Advance to GO
Your expedition loots a University library. Collect xx (200)
Buy Medic kits and bandages for your crew. Pay xx (50)
You find usable equipment in a ruined storage room. Receive xx (50)
Proof of Immunity! Get out of quarantine. This card may be saved until used (I suggest removing the option to sell the card because immunity is personal!)
Scratch by a grossling! Go to quarantine. Go directly to quarantine without passing GO.
Your cookbook “Candle Soup and Other Delicacies” publishing party. Collect xx (50) from each player for tickets.
Refund for returning “rental” rowboat. Collect xx (100)
Payment for exclusive interview on your adventures, receive xx (20)
It’s your birthday! Collect xx (10) from each player.
Against all odds you return from the Silent World. Collect life insurance, receive xx (100) from Bank
Hospital fees, pay xx (50)
Mage school tuition, pay xx (50)
Payment for your services as scout, receive xx (25)
City walls need repair!  Pay xx (40) per house and xx (115) per hotel you own.
You win second prize in a beauty contest. Receive xx (10)
You find rare maps. Collect xx (100)

Other suggestions:
Language barrier! Lose one turn trying to buy tickets.
Crate of candles! You have taken wrong equipment! Pay xx.
Your transport is attacked. Throw one d6. Even - guards defeat it. Proceed as normal Odds - the giant breaks the engine and eats the driver / captain. Go back three spaces.
You perform Kallohonka on a slain beast. Lose one turn.
You have valuable intel for the Sentinel Mage. Receive xx in thanks. (50?)
Fishing yields a good catch. Sell extras fish, collect xx from Bank (20?)
You join the Cleansers for a campaign. Lose 2 turns and collect xx (200?) as payment.
Cunning Plan! You manage to get yourself smuggled along in a crate. Go forward two spaces.
You kill a sjødraug. Local fishermen give you a prize, receive xx (50?)

EDITED 2nd March - change location to Rana, grammar corrections
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:20:50 PM by Jitter »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »
Hoping to another country of your choice is also excellent, but sine the luonto is (in-story) a temporary effect I'm not seeing how to justify the "teleportation" of the player without bringing said player back later.
Wait, wait, I was suggesting that one as a "railroad", not as a corner field! (The railroads do not actually move players' pieces around, do they? Been a while since I actually played Monopoly ...)

(is there such a thing as a small longship??)
A high length-to-width ratio is the main method to make a ship fast. If you want a "small longship", look no further than at racing rowboats. ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2020, 07:12:59 PM »
Here are the Fate (Chance) and Scavenging (Community Chest) cards
That's fantastic! Great work! I'm considering the "Omen" image (page 580, to be cropped) for the Fate cards, and the bigger view of Mikkel, Emil and Lalli entering the Varasto (page 229, also cropped) for the "Scavenging" image.

Would you (all) consider too bad to replace STEINSUNDSØYNA with RANA? I know it's not on the "Map of The World" list, but it's such a long name (and also harder to pronounce... at least for me.)

I spent (with great pleasure) some hours selecting images and planning the board (using Purple Wyrm's as the starting point). It's not done yet, but I have things organized and maybe tomorrow I'll be able to show you a initial solution.
See you soon :-)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2020, 01:12:56 AM »
Love those cards Jitter!

I've thrown together a rough version of a hexagonal board...

One thought that occurs to me is that with more spaces to traverse, players are going to end up spending more money each time they go around the board. So the 'Go' space should probably award more than 200.

Thanks for the birthday wishes thegreyarea, I had a good day! :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:14:33 AM by Purple Wyrm »

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »
I've thrown together a rough version of a hexagonal board...
I'm glad that you had a nice day, and hope that your ear is 100% ok now.

That's an amazing work, Purple! I see that you are quite able to work on the graphical side of things!
I'd only suggest that the corners were "sharp", making it a true Hexagon, just because I think that graphically it would look better.
This is an example:

Do you agree?

And this could be the adapted monopoly logo:

I hope you like it :-)

Through the day I'll come with more "parts" that I'm working on.
See you soon :-)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:33:45 AM by thegreyarea »

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »
> I'd only suggest that the corners were "sharp"

Oh yes, that looks much better!

On the logo side, we really shouldn't use any official Monopoly stuff. I don't think Hasbro can stop us making a Monopoly style game (as long as we don't try and *sell* it) but putting actual Hasbro art on it is begging for a lawsuit!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
I agree with the copyright thing. As long as it were just new cards and slips to go on top of an actual set of Monopoly it could be argued it's more likely to make someone buy the game rather than the opposite, but the further modified board(s) are arguably quite removed from the original :)

On the cards, the listed ones are more or less faithful version of what is listed on the actual cards in the Monopoly wiki page, which is why some of them are a bit boring :) Thinking up events that will result in losing money was easy, thinking about reasons to get some was way harder! I might edit them a bit still, I will edit that post and make a note if I have.

Btw should we change hotels to... citadels? forts? or just inns, because it sounds more suitable than hotel, for any other properties than Reykjavik and Mora :)

I'm happy to switch to Rana, I only picked Steinsundsöyna from the list of settlements by inhabitants. Rana has a power plant so it's important because of that, so a good choice!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
Oh yes, that looks much better!

On the logo side, we really shouldn't use any official Monopoly stuff. I don't think Hasbro can stop us making a Monopoly style game (as long as we don't try and *sell* it) but putting actual Hasbro art on it is begging for a lawsuit!
I'm happy that you liked it!
As for the Monopoly stuff, I did dig a little. From what I read we could use it with no problems if we just intended to do an image, and not a full game set, and, more important, we did not sell or make any profit from it in any way. That would include sharing it, even as free, on a website that make profit on ads. Also, no company will, theoretically, be able to legally produce the items for us, because then they would make profit over the copyrighted material. Of course if you do it all at home to yourself there's no problem.

My original intention was just to make a image, as fan art. But since then our collaborative work evolved to a full game set that some minnions could print and use. That considered I believe that's far more comfortable to us all to avoid using any monopoly items.
Our cards already have different names. The hotels and houses could, as Jitter said, be called "inns" and "cottages", and we already changed the rest, like "go to jail" to "go to quarantine". We also have to change the small rectangular coloured areas over the locations, because that seems to be a "distinctive element" for copyright matters. We can change for anything, so I was thinking on a circle or hexagon. Both could work as locations for placing the "fortifications" around the buildings.
So we can go forward with our SSSSopoly (yes, naming games with "opoly" is permitted. There are even companies selling them legaly on the web).

I'm happy to switch to Rana, I only picked Steinsundsöyna from the list of settlements by inhabitants. Rana has a power plant so it's important because of that, so a good choice!
I'm glad that you agree. :-)

Now, before moving further, two questions:
1 - About the fortifications: It doesn't make much sense to include fortifications in fully safe areas, don't you agree? I'd suggest that all Iceland and the other capital cities were considered already as fortified (which should be reflected on their acquisition value).
Of course if we think a little more every location that we could put on the board has, in-story, its fortifications, with the exceptions of Kastrup and Kastellet. So, does it makes sense to keep with that concept?
2 - Should I keep thinking on the rectangular board? The hexagonal one seems more interesting and unique...
Butter good!