Author Topic: SSSS Monopoly game  (Read 15287 times)

Temteno

Re: SSSS Monopoly game
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »
No problem at all - I'm happy if my help contributes to this Monopoly project! As said, I will wait with excitement (and try to give my advice when I can).

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2020, 05:35:53 PM »
Here are finally the cards! There's 20 in each category now, but I have several more for Fate and Scavenging. Dream World is a bit trickier, I already moved several of the ones related to magic into it.

FATE

1.   Council summons. Advance to Council St - collect 200 kr
2.   Item: Proof of Immunity! Get out of quarantine. This card may be saved until used
3.   Scratch by a grossling! Go to quarantine. Go directly to quarantine without passing Council St.
4.   Rune of banishment. Remove one ghost (your choice) on board. Use immediately. If no ghosts, no effect.
5.   Cunning Plan! You manage to get yourself smuggled along in a crate. Go forward 2 spaces.
6.   Engine failure! Go back 3 spaces.
7.   Your transport is attacked. Throw one d6:
        6 - crew nopes outta here fast. Go forward 2 spaces.
        4-5 - guards defeat it. Proceed as normal
        2-3 - the giant breaks the engine, lose one turn
        1 - the giant eats the driver / captain. Go back 3 spaces.
8.   Holiday in Reykjavik! Advance to Reykjavik (if owned, pay normal rent, if unowned, you can buy it)
9.   Last minute tickets. Advance to the nearest Transport and pay owner twice the normal rent. If Transport is unowned, you may buy it from the Banki
10.   Language barrier! Lose 1 turn trying to buy tickets.
11.   You join the Cleansers for a campaign. Lose 2 turns and collect 200 kr as payment.
12.   Your cookbook Candle Soup and Other Delicacies published. Everyone wants it. Collect 20 kr from each player.
13.   Payday for expedition crew. Pay each player 50 kr
14.   Snowed in. Your transport is stuck in a surprise snowstorm. Lose 1 turn.
15.   Your expedition returns! Receive 200 kr in proceedings.
16.   Against all odds you return from the Silent World. Collect life insurance, receive 100 kr from Banki
17.   You win second prize in a beauty contest. Receive 10 from Banki
18.   Cat academy fees, pay 30 kr to Banki
19.   Incomplete report. You are surprised by trolls. (Move the Troll to your location, battle as normal)
20.   City walls need repair!  Pay 30 kr for each Property you own.

SCAVENGING

1.   Item:Proof of Immunity! Get out of quarantine. This card may be saved until used
2.   Scratch by a grossling! Go to quarantine. Go directly to quarantine without passing Council St.
3.   Your expedition loots a University library. Collect 200 kr
4.   You find usable equipment in a ruined storage room. Collect 50 kr from Banki
5.   Refund for returning rental rowboat. Collect 100 kr
6.   Scavenger team finds shiny round objects. No value.
7.   Pier, my old nemesis! You leave your bag behind. Pay 50 kr for new equipment.
8.   Stolen meat. You pilfer a teammate's food. Random player must pay you 10 kr.
9.   Crate of candles! You have taken wrong equipment. Pay 50 kr for replacements.
10.   Buy Medic kits and bandages for your crew. Pay 50 kr.
11.   Dirty Secret. You persuade a ship captain to deliver food supplies. Collect 50 kr.
12.   You need boat tickets. Pay 20 kr to Banki.
13.   Payment for exclusive interview on your adventures, receive 20 kr from Banki.
14.   Books collector buys a rare volume. Collect 50 kr from Banki.
15.   Your drawing wins an art competition. Receive 100 kr.
16.   Rare maps! You sell them - collect 100 kr.
17.   Item: Rune of protection when a ghost tries to attack you, it is banished. You suffer no harm. Keep card until used.
18.   Item: Grandma's rifle - +2 to battle roll as long as you have this item. Keep card with you. Every time you pass Council St, pay 10 for ammo. If you fail to pay, return rifle to the deck.
19.   Item: Incendiary device - when used in battle, roll d6 (keep card until used)
         6 - opponent shredded with no further battle
         2-5 +3 to battle roll
         1 - oops counted to four instead of three! Take one wound / lose one hit point.
20.   Turret maintenance for all properties! For each house owned pay 25 kr for each hotel 100 kr.

DREAM WORLD

1.   Shared dream. Random player moves to your space.
2.   Handsy moose! Move Troll to your location, battle as normal
3.   Vision of Prosperity. Your fylgja points to a spot, after waking you find valuable items there. Collect 100 kr.
4.   Vellamo's blessing. Advance to Saimaa Canal.
5.   Scary reed place. Turn around. Go back 2 spaces.
6.   Nightmares. Too tired to travel. Lose 1 round.
7.   Item: Rune of confusion. Use when an enemy approaches (after use return to deck). The enemy will not attack you, but will move 1-3 spaces forward (1-3) or backward (4-6)
8.   "Item": Onni ex machina. You establish a connection to Onni's haven. You may call upon him when attacked. Kokko will obliterate the enemy. Keep card until used.
9.   Kuutar's blessing. You are safe from attacks for the next 2 turns.
10.   Path of lilypads. You may go forward 1-2 spaces (optional)
11.   Summons from the cousin. Go to KEURUU - if you pass Council St collect 200 kr
12.   You perform Kallohonka on a slain beast. Lose one turn.
13.   Mage school tuition, pay 50 kr
14.   Who disturbs my slumber? You irritate a spirit. Spawn 1 murderghost at your location.
15.   Sensory overload. The spirits cause a racket. Lose 1 turn to recover.
16.   Unbeliever! You have to demonstrate the might of the Gods to a Swede. Lose 1 turn.
17.   Empty(?) nesters: too many pods to check. You call your Luonto to help. Lose 2 turns recovering.
18.   Pastor Anne: remove all ghosts (and Sleipnope) on board. Use immediately.
19.   Dream ocean serpent! Move the Troll to your space, battle, Troll gets +1 on battle roll.
20.   Dream of childhood. You spend time looking around your home village. Lose 2 turns.

The Onni ex machina isn't exactly an item, but it's supposed to adhere to same rules, i.e. keep until used.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome! For the full version there could be maybe 25 of each at least on Fate and Scavenging, on Dream World I need help. I left out Squirrel cookies from this one since creating the effects table should probably happen only after the key rules are established.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:42:40 PM by Jitter »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2020, 07:52:39 PM »
Here are finally the cards! There's 20 in each category now, but I have several more for Fate and Scavenging. Dream World is a bit trickier, I already moved several of the ones related to magic into it.
Any comments and suggestions are welcome! For the full version there could be maybe 25 of each at least on Fate and Scavenging, on Dream World I need help. I left out Squirrel cookies from this one since creating the effects table should probably happen only after the key rules are established.

That's an AMAZING work, Jitter! Such creativity! I'll study them and comment later. The first thing that occurs to me is that we will probably have to raise the "wages" because there's so many ways to spend money... :) (Is the game becoming too real?)

Now we need to think about the rules, try to arrive at a first Draft. Comments and suggestions are very, very welcomed!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
Hiya all!

We suddenly seem to have ran out of steam, when arriving at the somewhat tedious part of making sense of the rules instead of creating all sorts of new things :) And of course the lovely Chapter Break Filler has taken time from many of us, not to mention the strain on everyone created by the ever developing corona situation.

Anyways, schools are starting again next week in Finland. The summer vacation of schools is also near, school breaks for summer at end of May. This means first that the kids will be out of my hair, and after that they will be very nearly invisible in their rooms when they don’t have classes :)

Soo, I’m thinking I could try and collect the rules we have into a first draft, and supplement from Monopoly rules on the basic stuff. My timeline is something around 2-3 weeks, but that’s better than indefinite, isn’t it? So, any ideas and suggestions especially about those parts of the rules we haven’t considered yet are very welcome, just leave them here in the meantime! After we have version 0.1 it will be easier to see what needs to be done still before we can have a test game!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:41:02 PM by Jitter »

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Hi Jitter! Hi Everybody!

Yes, we lost some steam, but now it's time to regain momentum!
Jitter, your proposal is excellent, and I'm here to help if you need anything.

I'll check back at the mini-board and also at the main board, where there are a couple of thing to do. I'll also take a good look at all the visual material already produced, try to organize it and see if there's something that needs a retouch.

I'll keep you all updated. It will be a fun game to play!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
Soo, I’m thinking I could try and collect the rules we have into a first draft, and supplement from Monopoly rules on the basic stuff.
(Just being paranoid here, and assuming that we won't copy stuff over rule by rule (copyright issues!), are we sure that "The Monopoly Rules" are the same, down to the details, in all licensed versions of the game?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
No, I think we should write briefly the key points in the Tome of Rules for this game too, firstly to make sure everybody has the same rules and secondly to make it playable also if you don't have a Monopoly set. And yes, it shouldn't be exactly the same!

I've been pondering the money issue and I have one idea, but I'm not sure if it's worth the added complication: There could be a Citizen, along with the other NPC pieces, who moves on every turn (one of the player throws the dice for her) and pays rent where she lands, but is not affected by any special effects, doesn't pick cards and also doesn't run out of money, i.e. represents general economic activity. It's a lot easier to come up with rules that take money from the players than that give some to them :) This could again be an optional rule.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
JoB, I'm not worried on the copyright issue because we are more in the line of making a game inspired by Monopoly than an almost direct adaptation like it was in the beginning. So our rules will naturally have many differences from the original. Not to mention the many optional rules that we discussed.

Jitter, I like the idea of giving money to players, particularly because, as we talked before, the game evolved so far in something that is not centered solely in winning as much money as possible and driving your friends bankrupt :) Your idea is interesting, but wouldn't it benefit only (and to a greater amount) the players that have buildings? Maybe it's easier to increase the starting money and/or the "wage" that players receive when they cross the starting point. It won't be very easy to balance things... But we will manage!

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2020, 07:51:04 PM »

FATE

1.   Council summons. Advance to Council St - collect 200 kr
2.   Item: Proof of Immunity! Get out of quarantine. This card may be saved until used
3.   Scratch by a grossling! Go to quarantine. Go directly to quarantine without passing Council St.
4.   Rune of banishment. Remove one ghost (your choice) on board. Use immediately. If no ghosts, no effect.
5.   Cunning Plan! You manage to get yourself smuggled along in a crate. Go forward 2 spaces.
6.   Engine failure! Go back 3 spaces.
7.   Your transport is attacked. Throw one d6:
        6 - crew nopes outta here fast. Go forward 2 spaces.
        4-5 - guards defeat it. Proceed as normal
        2-3 - the giant breaks the engine, lose one turn
        1 - the giant eats the driver / captain. Go back 3 spaces.
8.   Holiday in Reykjavik! Advance to Reykjavik (if owned, pay normal rent, if unowned, you can buy it)
9.   Last minute tickets. Advance to the nearest Transport and pay owner twice the normal rent. If Transport is unowned, you may buy it from the Banki
10.   Language barrier! Lose 1 turn trying to buy tickets.
11.   You join the Cleansers for a campaign. Lose 2 turns and collect 200 kr as payment.
12.   Your cookbook Candle Soup and Other Delicacies published. Everyone wants it. Collect 20 kr from each player.
13.   Payday for expedition crew. Pay each player 50 kr
14.   Snowed in. Your transport is stuck in a surprise snowstorm. Lose 1 turn.
15.   Your expedition returns! Receive 200 kr in proceedings.
16.   Against all odds you return from the Silent World. Collect life insurance, receive 100 kr from Banki
17.   You win second prize in a beauty contest. Receive 10 from Banki
18.   Cat academy fees, pay 30 kr to Banki
19.   Incomplete report. You are surprised by trolls. (Move the Troll to your location, battle as normal)
20.   City walls need repair!  Pay 30 kr for each Property you own.

SCAVENGING

1.   Item:Proof of Immunity! Get out of quarantine. This card may be saved until used
2.   Scratch by a grossling! Go to quarantine. Go directly to quarantine without passing Council St.
3.   Your expedition loots a University library. Collect 200 kr
4.   You find usable equipment in a ruined storage room. Collect 50 kr from Banki
5.   Refund for returning rental rowboat. Collect 100 kr
6.   Scavenger team finds shiny round objects. No value.
7.   Pier, my old nemesis! You leave your bag behind. Pay 50 kr for new equipment.
8.   Stolen meat. You pilfer a teammate's food. Random player must pay you 10 kr.
9.   Crate of candles! You have taken wrong equipment. Pay 50 kr for replacements.
10.   Buy Medic kits and bandages for your crew. Pay 50 kr.
11.   Dirty Secret. You persuade a ship captain to deliver food supplies. Collect 50 kr.
12.   You need boat tickets. Pay 20 kr to Banki.
13.   Payment for exclusive interview on your adventures, receive 20 kr from Banki.
14.   Books collector buys a rare volume. Collect 50 kr from Banki.
15.   Your drawing wins an art competition. Receive 100 kr.
16.   Rare maps! You sell them - collect 100 kr.
17.   Item: Rune of protection when a ghost tries to attack you, it is banished. You suffer no harm. Keep card until used.
18.   Item: Grandma's rifle - +2 to battle roll as long as you have this item. Keep card with you. Every time you pass Council St, pay 10 for ammo. If you fail to pay, return rifle to the deck.
19.   Item: Incendiary device - when used in battle, roll d6 (keep card until used)
         6 - opponent shredded with no further battle
         2-5 +3 to battle roll
         1 - oops counted to four instead of three! Take one wound / lose one hit point.
20.   Turret maintenance for all properties! For each house owned pay 25 kr for each hotel 100 kr.

DREAM WORLD

1.   Shared dream. Random player moves to your space.
2.   Handsy moose! Move Troll to your location, battle as normal
3.   Vision of Prosperity. Your fylgja points to a spot, after waking you find valuable items there. Collect 100 kr.
4.   Vellamo's blessing. Advance to Saimaa Canal.
5.   Scary reed place. Turn around. Go back 2 spaces.
6.   Nightmares. Too tired to travel. Lose 1 round.
7.   Item: Rune of confusion. Use when an enemy approaches (after use return to deck). The enemy will not attack you, but will move 1-3 spaces forward (1-3) or backward (4-6)
8.   "Item": Onni ex machina. You establish a connection to Onni's haven. You may call upon him when attacked. Kokko will obliterate the enemy. Keep card until used.
9.   Kuutar's blessing. You are safe from attacks for the next 2 turns.
10.   Path of lilypads. You may go forward 1-2 spaces (optional)
11.   Summons from the cousin. Go to KEURUU - if you pass Council St collect 200 kr
12.   You perform Kallohonka on a slain beast. Lose one turn.
13.   Mage school tuition, pay 50 kr
14.   Who disturbs my slumber? You irritate a spirit. Spawn 1 murderghost at your location.
15.   Sensory overload. The spirits cause a racket. Lose 1 turn to recover.
16.   Unbeliever! You have to demonstrate the might of the Gods to a Swede. Lose 1 turn.
17.   Empty(?) nesters: too many pods to check. You call your Luonto to help. Lose 2 turns recovering.
18.   Pastor Anne: remove all ghosts (and Sleipnope) on board. Use immediately.
19.   Dream ocean serpent! Move the Troll to your space, battle, Troll gets +1 on battle roll.
20.   Dream of childhood. You spend time looking around your home village. Lose 2 turns.

The Onni ex machina isn't exactly an item, but it's supposed to adhere to same rules, i.e. keep until used.

It just occurred to me - in this game, you will be playing as SSSS characters, right? If so, maybe it would be cool if some of those cards had additional effects if you play a certain character? (Sorry for suggesting more work for you, feel free to ignore me.)

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2020, 08:34:41 PM »
It just occurred to me - in this game, you will be playing as SSSS characters, right? If so, maybe it would be cool if some of those cards had additional effects if you play a certain character? (Sorry for suggesting more work for you, feel free to ignore me.)

There's no reason to be sorry, Ran. That's a nice idea, and not that hard to implement. It's a matter of looking at them and thinking on the characters particularities. maybe cards associated with Magic are more effective in Mages (if said effect is positive, or less harmful if negative).

This is a "work" that is supposed to be fun! You could advance suggestions. I'd love to hear them. :)

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2020, 08:47:07 PM »
There's always a reason to be sorry. If you want an example, however, how about that: if you draw the "summons from cousin" card (which makes you go to Keuruu) as Lalli, you don't have to pay, even if Keuruu is owned by another player (because it's his home and where he worked as a scout for most of his life). Of course, this only applies if you go to Keuruu as a result of drawing the aforementioned card - otherwise you have to pay normally. Additionally, if you drew the card as Emil, it could make you go to Mora instead of Keuruu (because that's where his cousins are).

Also, I guess I'm advancing to scoutdom, yay!

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2020, 06:49:40 PM »
Let me know if there's anything I can help with. I mostly vanished there for a while, I thought I would have some slack after grades were submitted but somehow I've ended up being nearly as busy. Now I seem to be on top of things (I hope that doesn't jinx it) and have a little time for fun things.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »
Wow this game idea is great! I really like the hexagonal board, and the overall design Grey, and the card-descriptions that Jitter made are so awesome and funny (I love all the references in there!) and also the Norwegian Party hall and... and... (struggling here not to name absolutely everything)

I´d like to offer some help if you´re still looking for some. Today two weeks of holidays start where I live that I will spend not in Finland as planned (cries in Corona-Lockdown), but also not doing that school-presentation I was supposed to do since that got canceled (cheers in Corona-Lockdown), so I´ll have lots of free time for those two weeks (except for on the week-ends).
I sadly also don´t have any useful programming skills or game design-experience, but I have been a passionate monopoly-player all my life. Haven´t played in a while, but even more of a reason to get back into it. I currently have a simmilar printing-problem as Jitter does, my dad switched the cables in our printers the other day and now both of them refuse to work, but once that´s solved I would happily volunteer for beta-testing if you still need some (that is the perfect opportunity to finally get my family to read SSSS >:D). 

And some general ideas: I also think that character-specific effects would be really cool, but it might end up being a little too confusing if there are special things to think about for every card. Also things could easily get unbalanced. So instead there could be specific cards that have a simmilar, but character-specific effect on everyone, while others function no matter which character you play. An example:
the "summons from cousin" would be kinda difficult because not all characters have cousins (that we know about). But there could be a card like "home emergency" or something, that causes each character to go to the next property-field (is that what it´s called?) of their home-country. (I guess this would still give a slight advantage to whoever gets their hands on the Finland-properties first, since there are three playable characters that live there, but maybe this could be solved by making Finland the cheapest properties (?) I haven´t looked at your current pricing system in too much detail yet…)

If I´m overcomplicating things right now please tell me to stop... But if you found something for me to do to contribute, I´d gladly help ^-^
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:49:17 AM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2020, 12:15:19 PM »
Hi Mirasol and Vulpes and Ran and Jitter and Wrym and everybody else!

Mirasol, thanks! I'm sure that we will be able to use your experience soon. :)

I think it's time to make this wonderful idea move faster again.
To be honest I've been too involved in my writing lately, but now I will dedicate my free time to this game.
Before we all move to the test phase I'll have to review what we already have and set a few things that aren't ready, together with Jitter and Wrym.
I'm expecting that we will be ready soon, but I can say exactly when.
As soon as we have things set I'll let you know so we can actually play (even if it's beta playing, with some funny "crashes" to happen...)

Thanks again for all the praise and support! :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Yeah, I don’t think anyone has tried to play yet. The rules haven’t been collected, in theory everything is in this thread (and what isn’t is supposed to be adapted from Monopoly) but in practice I certainly wouldn’t want to try before putting the rules together :) I have promised to do that, and then I was suddenly very busy at work. I think I just sent everything in, so next week should be better!

As for the cards, my idea is that all events apply to anyone. So Mikkel can keep the Onni ex Machina card Lalli has to pay the Mage Academy fees and Reynir can have Grandma’s Rifle etc. In the case of the Summons from Cousin it can easily be changed to Summons from Family and anybody will to their own hometown, but in general I suggest the events are the same for everyone.

We were earlier discussing possible character specific rules, which would be optional and would apply permanently if they are taken into use. Mikkel can take a second Scavenging card, Sigrun is stronger against the Troll etc. They are somewhere here!

I’m still worried about the money balance but I suppose only playtesting will help with that. Are we going to include the mortgage rules? I’d rather not, as this is not supposed to be mainly about property speculation any more, although the properties, buildings and rents form a basic context so that we don’t have to start from scratch.