Author Topic: Hogwarts Houses of SSSS Characters  (Read 4123 times)

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
Hogwarts Houses of SSSS Characters
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:52:14 AM »
In my opinion:

Onni Hotakainen: Hufflepuff.  His whole goal in life was to keep his family safe.  Now it just may be to avenge them.

Tuuri Hotakainen: Ravenclaw.  She was a skald and her main motivation for joining the expedition was to see and learn more about the world.

Lalli Hotakainen: Ravenclaw.  He's fast and a good shot, but his most impressive powers are mental abilities that few can even understand.

Sigrun Eide: Gryffindor.  This is the easiest one.  She's got it all, good and bad: Courage, determination, a strong desire to rescue those in need, recklessness, arrogance, and a tendency to react badly when being bold and brash isn't the answer to every problem.

Emil Vasterstrom: Slytherin.  He joined the expedition because he wanted to be rich again.  He's ambitious, vain, aristocratic, good at his job, tenacious in the face of danger, and very loyal to and protective of those he considers his own.

Mikkel Madsen: Hufflepuff.  He can grump about it all he wants, but the man is a nurturer/protector at heart.

Reynir Arnason: Gryffindor. I'd have said Hufflepuff until the start of the Second Adventure, but a Hufflepuff would've had the sense to stay home after barely surviving the first time.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:11:07 PM by phyrestorm999 »
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Hogwarts Houses of SSSS Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »
I agree with you about Mikkel, Onni, Sigrun and Tuuri, probably also about Reynir. But I am less sure about Lalli and Emil. Emil strikes me as more the Gryffindor type, or maybe, like Harry in the original story, someone who might fit in either, but urgently doesn’t want to be in Slytherin - remember the bit with the Sorting Hat where it is speculating where Harry fits, and he is going “Not Slytherin, not Slytherin!”? Whereas Lalli, although he has some of Onni’s ‘must keep everybody safe’ thing, is also okay with killing if he must, and is a sniper and a night scout who is good at stealth, which strike me more as Slytherin traits. Yet he is also courageous, willing to put himself in danger or even to spend his life and burn out his magic for the sake of others. And to be a mage, especially in the Finnish style, he would need the sort of intellect, creativity and memory which one would more associate with Ravenclaw.

Complex types, both lads.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:00:43 AM »
Emil is indeed an edge case! The arrogant, overprivileged buffoon we met at the start of the story would be a fine fit for Slytherin, but he has really had the corners knocked off over the course of the adventure. Perhaps the hat would pull a 'Longbottom' on him - place him in Gryffindor not because of what he is, but because of what he has the potential to be.

Lalli - I just don't know. We probably know the least about his inner life of any of the main characters, so making any kind of call is very difficult.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

phyrestorm999

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:06:19 PM »
I agree with both of you that Lalli and Emil are the hardest to categorize. 

I can see Lalli as a Slytherin in that he's cunning, not squeamish about violence, and doesn't seem to have any hangups about "honor" when it comes to killing rash creatures, but he doesn't strike me as ambitious at all.  He seems to just want a bed to sleep under, a supply of the four or five foods he doesn't hate, and occasional appreciation for doing his job well.  Come to think of it, he's not all that intellectually curious either, so maybe I was wrong about Ravenclaw.

As for Emil, he's certainly brave and a hero several times over, but that alone doesn't make him a Gryffindor.  Gryffindors aren't just brave when they have to be--they seek out adventure.  (If one were being snotty about it, one could say they seek out opportunities to be heroic.)  If Emil had had any idea just how difficult and dangerous the book-finding mission was going to be, I firmly believe he never would have volunteered.  He was in it for the money, got in WAY over his head, and ended up performing admirably, but I very much doubt he'd ever want to go through anything like that again.

Emil's courage and tenacity in dragging Lalli's comatose butt across half of Denmark actually plays into a lesser-known Slytherin trait: Loyalty.  Slytherins aren't the most altruistic bunch in general, but they take care of their own.  Once Emil came to like and respect Lalli enough to consider him a friend, there was no question of leaving him behind.
Miranda
5/17/2001 - 7/14/2018
Beautiful Fighter, Loyal Friend, Badass Cat

Dan_Urios

• Digital illustrator
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 07:13:24 AM »
Gryffindors aren't just brave when they have to be--they seek out adventure.

Wouldn't that mean Tuuri is a Gryffindor?
Hi! My name is Dan, and I'm a digital illustrator based in Spain. If you wanna check my sfw work (like other SSSS fanart) here's my INSTAGRAM. Also, all of my social media accounts are HERE and my commissions are OPEN!

Fluent in: :es: :us: and

Learning: :de: :fi:

Demopans

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 07:20:47 AM »
I haven’t had the chance to read any of the Harry Potter series. Can someone enlighten me about what school does what?

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:33 PM »
I haven’t had the chance to read any of the Harry Potter series. Can someone enlighten me about what school does what?

Gryffindor: bravery/chivalry/honor
Ravenclaw: intelligence/thirst for knowledge
Hufflepuff: honesty/kindness/integrity
Slytherin: ambition/cunning/cleverness

This is pretty simplified, but basically each house has values/characteristics and students are sorted into houses based on that. There's some debate as to whether it's what you /value/ or what you /are/ that determines it; I'm personally of the belief that your values rather than your actual traits determine your house.
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:36:14 PM »
(I thought I had posted yesterday but apparently not.)  I totally agree with phyre about Emil sorting into Slytherin, and her reasons why.
Mikkel, though - I disagree about Hufflepuff, I lean toward Slytherin.  His motivations are inscrutable at best, and his checkered employment history indicates a person who is uncomfortable with taking direction.  He pleases himself, which presumably includes a modicum of cleanliness, some creature comforts, and not eating 'dirt and stuff.' 
I tend to think of Lalli among Hufflepuff.  He takes immense pride in his work and his competence at it, but is okay with being directed.  His mental powers are indeed formidable, but a Hufflepuff is not stupid - they are the experts in the lore about the natural world, with all those details crammed into their skulls.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Dan_Urios

• Digital illustrator
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 04:59:01 PM »
Lalli as a Hufflepuff is the plot twist I never thought I craved until now, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
Hi! My name is Dan, and I'm a digital illustrator based in Spain. If you wanna check my sfw work (like other SSSS fanart) here's my INSTAGRAM. Also, all of my social media accounts are HERE and my commissions are OPEN!

Fluent in: :es: :us: and

Learning: :de: :fi:

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:44:44 PM »
Lalli: Hufflepuff. His work is what he prides in. He's fine with being directed, totally not ambitious (sleeping under a tree and eating berries will do). He does tend to be a silent solo worker though (language barrier doesn't help). He will go after his family members being in trouble and leaves a note to the one person he sees a friend. (Along with Reynir in the Dream World having a good grasp of Lalli's motive when he left).

Tuuri: Ravenclaw. She's driven by her curiosity and has been gathering all sorts of knowledge, and then works as a skald, translator, driver and mechanic. She just loves knowledge and learning.

Onni: Hufflepuff/gryffindor -- he just wants to keep his family safe, nothing more. Once said family is out, he has no hesitation going after the dreaded IT.

Emil: Gryffindor. He is impulsive, and goes head on to danger. And apparently likes to blow things up without thinking first... Sure he wants to be rich but who doesn't dream of riches? Considering how rich he used to be or thought he was there might be a bit of nostalgia in it too.

Sigrun: Yes, she's rather fearless and considers their adventure a vacation. That may well be just her military background. When confined, she likes to play and cheat with Mikkel (who does the same). She's the one with ambitions about the first adventure. She's also making plans for others. Slytherin

Mikkel: He has some education too (speaks two languages). He also knows something about the "old world". He does take care of others, making practical plans -- acts a bit impulsively at times, with some sort of lupo  as an excuse... most of time he's just calm. Mm... Hufflepuff.

Reynir: Gryffindor. "I want an adventure and sneak up on the ship's cargo" - "no farmwork for me" - Though there is the "I want to help" persona... (but not in a safe place). One time could be excused as youthful idiocy (as his parents think) but doing it a second time (just more prepared) well... only a gryffindor can be that foolhardy. (Wonder what his mother will say -- stupid idiot child was already used about the first trip...).
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 08:19:58 PM »
Ravenclaw: intelligence/thirst for knowledge

Ravenclaws are also said to be quite attractive!

Me? A Ravenclaw? Well naturally, but I assure you that has nothing to do with pointing out this fact ;)

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 12:05:24 AM »
I note that Minna has been asked this question in the stream, but having never read the books she had no idea what we were talking about.

Tuuri is Slytherin in my book.  I headcanon that she was a skald less because she loved learning for its own sake, and more because it was just about the most ambitious thing a non-immune non-magical person could aspire to.  (No Ravenclaw would dismiss as 'oh, just mage stuff' knowledge that she had no use for. A Ravenclaw would assume "what is Lalli doing?!" as a genuine query and would be delighted to demonstrate her superior knowledge of kallohonka to her Swedish colleague.) Domestic duties were not for her, and certainly not child care!  I wouldn't know if she ever condsidered a career in science (which certainly would have gotten her out of Finland) or even if she had an aptitude for it.
She was only 21, I am sure her ambition would have driven her to apply for a job with the Nordic Council at some point.  There she would have found her natural home, dabbling in office politics and turf wars. 

Onni I pick as a true Ravenclaw.  He knows the effectiveness of magic against what terrorises his community, and applies himself diligently to acquiring and using that knowledge.  Not only is he an apt student of the magical lore, he makes the classic mistake of thinking it is the only thing worth applying oneself to.  He cannot imagine his sister, a skald, wanting to do anything else, either. 
And most tellingly, Ravenclaws are not team players.  Damn know-it-alls do not trust anyone else to use their knowledge better than they can.  "Only I know the best solution to this problem, nobody else can comprehend what is involved," is the hill they will die on.  So to speak.

Spoiler: show
Of course I'm a Ravenclaw.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:06:37 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
One thing we should keep in mind when playing with this exercise is that Slytherins aren't necessarily evil. They come across that way because the books are written from a Gryffindor perspective.

That and the fact that so many of them are evil...

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
One thing we should keep in mind when playing with this exercise is that Slytherins aren't necessarily evil. They come across that way because the books are written from a Gryffindor perspective.

That and the fact that so many of them are evil...

Yeah, Slytherins are only evil if they get power-hungry and use their cunning selfishly.
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »
This is a subject I like thinking about a lot! This fanfic series has some decent headcanons for which houses the characters would fit in, and while the explanations make complete sense, I have my own personal takes as well...

Emil - Gryffindor. Brave and a bit foolish. Loves fire. Probably a pureblood.
Onni - Ravenclaw. Timid, prefers knowledge to action. Very powerful but would rather not use his abilities unless absolutely necessary
Tuuri - Hufflepuff. She's the glue that holds the team together. Her jack-of-all-trades attitude fits nicely with Hufflepuff.
Reynir - Hufflepuff also. Generally clueless but kind and well-intentioned, also a people pleaser. Would be a muggle-born wizard who knows little about the magical world.
Lalli - Tough borderline case, but I'm gonna go with Slytherin, since he's cunning and tricky and willing to do what it takes to survive. He'd be in Ravenclaw but he's more "street smart" and prefers action to inaction, unlike Onni. Definitely a powerful wizard.
Sigrun - Archetypal Gryffindor. Brash, brave, and delights in showing off. Probably plays Quidditch.
Mikkel - Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, I'm leaning towards Ravenclaw because he is a Dane preoccupied with preservation of the Old World. He can read and knows things.