Author Topic: SSSS - Official translations  (Read 5472 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
SSSS - Official translations
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
It looks like SSSS will soon have an official French translation in print, via Akileos.

Akileos tweeted about it and other comics that it will soon be publishing: here.

And there is also a short announcement about it over here which includes the date the BD will be released:

Pour lire l'album en français il faudra normalement attendre le 16 octobre prochain chez Akileos !

So, it looks like French-speaking fans will be able to enjoy the comic en français in October.

Is anybody planning to get their hands on it? (Please do tell what you think of the translation, if you do). Are there other official translations that you guys would especially want to see?

(Mods please feel free to move/split/merge according to your judgment, I didn't see a previous topic about this but who knows.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:43:48 PM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: SSSS - Official translations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:35:18 PM »
I'm not that far from Paris and a chain bookstore that may have it, and the shipping costs were a factor in me not getting a print version, so I may be tempted.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
Are there other official translations that you guys would especially want to see?

A Nordic translation, where everyone speaks their own language! I dunno how to solve the dreamworld language in that version but yep, that's what I would like to see!
Then we'd finally get an answer to if Sigrun speaks bokmål or nynorsk

I'd get that even if I wouldn't understand much of the Icelandic and even less of the Finnish because omg it'd be so fun!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:24:48 PM »
I'm not that far from Paris and a chain bookstore that may have it, and the shipping costs were a factor in me not getting a print version, so I may be tempted.

That's totally understandable. : ) I think there are probably a lot of people in such a position... the shipping was pretty expensive.

I wonder if the BD will be available in ebook version as well, similar to how there is an ebook for the original English edition... I'd like to read the French version (well, attempt to read) but not interested enough to pay for the print version.

A Nordic translation, where everyone speaks their own language!

This would be neat. : ) It might work well as an electronic edition, where you could mouseover the dialogue to get a translation of the text. (Obviously not something that will ever happen, but eh, if we could dream.)

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:43:50 PM »
A Nordic translation, where everyone speaks their own language! I dunno how to solve the dreamworld language in that version but yep, that's what I would like to see!
Then we'd finally get an answer to if Sigrun speaks bokmål or nynorsk

I'd get that even if I wouldn't understand much of the Icelandic and even less of the Finnish because omg it'd be so fun!

Were there people working on this a while ago? I think I remember stumbling over something like this one time when I was first exploring the forum.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
yeah, we were some people trying to do a fanlation like that, but it's not the same as an official translation :P

I don't actually know what happened with that or if another group restarted the project at a later time or something... I got overexcited and started too many projects back then and then rushed straight into a wall and haven't dared look back at all the projects from back then :$
I keep doing that same mistake every time I find myself with energy to spare.... When will I learn?
Fanlations are not quite the topic here though so uh, I'm just gonna crawl back under my rock now and hope someone else can actually fill you in on that!

To be more on topic:
I got really excited about the French version, not because I know any french but we have SO MANY minnions in the chat who are learning French so I got all excited about this on their account!
Hoping to one day see this book in SF-bokhandeln here in Sweden as well, but since all Swedes know english we don't really need a translated version (although I would 100% buy a Swedish version of it as well!).
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
Were there people working on this a while ago? I think I remember stumbling over something like this one time when I was first exploring the forum.

There is, in the Language Board.  P___ was looking into putting one together.

It looks like SSSS will soon have an official French translation in print, via Akileos.

Akileos tweeted about it and other comics that it will soon be publishing: here.

And there is also a short announcement about it over here which includes the date the BD will be released:

So, it looks like French-speaking fans will be able to enjoy the comic en français in October.

Is anybody planning to get their hands on it? (Please do tell what you think of the translation, if you do). Are there other official translations that you guys would especially want to see?

(Mods please feel free to move/split/merge according to your judgment, I didn't see a previous topic about this but who knows.)

I don't know if the project started in the thread I mentioned above is related to this translation in any way, so I reckon we leave this thread here.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
Is anybody planning to get their hands on it?
I did not yet check whether Akileos does online ordering, so ... maybe. Shipping within the EU ought to be affordable ...

Are there other official translations that you guys would especially want to see?
I've once watched a Chinese movie that "made use" of the fact that there exists a wide variety of dialects of Chinese, and had been dubbed into (somewhat more mutually understandable) dialects of German so as not to lose that effect in translation. Given that semi- and impermeable language barriers are a central topic of SSSS and readers may IMHO be more often multidialectic in their native language than multilingual (much less with a combination of languages that can be predicted), I'ld be interested in such an experiment ...

"Cologne-bred" Chinese: "Lern' eets ens rischtisch spreche!"
"Bavarian" Chinese: "Wos is?!?"

I dunno how to solve the dreamworld language in that version
Leave the dreamspeech in English, then. The readers should mostly either be Nordics, or heavily multilingual, which means that most of them will understand it.

Were there people working on this a while ago?
Ummmmhhhhhhh ... :-\
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 11:57:27 PM »
Ummmmhhhhhhh ... :-\
That's a really neat looking site! The only language option is English, so I'm guessing this was in preparation for inputting translations into the text bubbles?
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 02:29:53 AM »
I've once watched a Chinese movie that "made use" of the fact that there exists a wide variety of dialects of Chinese, and had been dubbed into (somewhat more mutually understandable) dialects of German so as not to lose that effect in translation. Given that semi- and impermeable language barriers are a central topic of SSSS and readers may IMHO be more often multidialectic in their native language than multilingual (much less with a combination of languages that can be predicted), I'ld be interested in such an experiment ...

"Cologne-bred" Chinese: "Lern' eets ens rischtisch spreche!"
"Bavarian" Chinese: "Wos is?!?"

It's funny that you mention this, because I once found myself wondering what an anime adaptation of SSSS moving the setting to Asia with Japan playing the role of Iceland would look like, and I promptly picked regions of China with different dialects as the counterparts to the Scandinavian trio (don't know enough about Chinese dialects to know how possible this is, of if there would be a better choice in the region though). Never dwelled on it long enough to figure out who "Finland" would be.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 06:30:58 AM »
That's a really neat looking site! The only language option is English, so I'm guessing this was in preparation for inputting translations into the text bubbles?
Yes, the idea was to gather the original (English) text (as text, rather than pixels in part of the image) and the position/shape/size of the speech bubbles as basic data into a central tool so that, when people added translations later on, we could have the tool display the original comic images with bubbles with auto-layouted translated text overlain onto them, thus avoiding the "fit the translation into the page" workload striking for every single target language again.

Then the discussion about using a separate tool to do the actual translation work began (such tools come with features like giving translators lists of previously-used translations of terms and idioms so that the translated text will have better internal continuity) and AFAIK we never got nailed down which one to use and how to provide APIs to make the two tools exchange the texts (which requires persistent IDing of text snippets so as not to allow errors in which bubble of sound effect is supposed to receive an update) ...

(don't know enough about Chinese dialects to know how possible this is, of if there would be a better choice in the region though).
I know pretty much squat of non-European languages in general, but I'm under the impression that, while randomly selected dialects of Chinese are quite likely to be close to complete gibberish to each other, there's enough history of trade within China that people tend(ed) to have some grasp of their neighbor's dialects ...

Never dwelled on it long enough to figure out who "Finland" would be.
There are a number of ethnic minorities within China, including some with non-Sinitic languages. No idea which of those would be totally incomprehensible to nominal Chinese, though, and of course you'ld have to pick one whose users live reasonably close to wherever the other groups of your AU are.

I seem to remember, though, that other Chinese (used to?) see the Miao as a tribe of magic-users with weird customs (one of them being that they're a rather matriarchal society).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 10:52:00 PM »
Yes, the idea was to gather the original (English) text (as text, rather than pixels in part of the image) and the position/shape/size of the speech bubbles as basic data into a central tool so that, when people added translations later on, we could have the tool display the original comic images with bubbles with auto-layouted translated text overlain onto them, thus avoiding the "fit the translation into the page" workload striking for every single target language again.

Then the discussion about using a separate tool to do the actual translation work began (such tools come with features like giving translators lists of previously-used translations of terms and idioms so that the translated text will have better internal continuity) and AFAIK we never got nailed down which one to use and how to provide APIs to make the two tools exchange the texts (which requires persistent IDing of text snippets so as not to allow errors in which bubble of sound effect is supposed to receive an update) ...
That last part sounds...really complicated tbh, but that might just be because I don't know enough about coding to understand how it would work. It sounds like a good idea, though! If the unofficial translations ever start up again, I'd be down to give an attempt at Mandarin/help with gathering the English text. Of course, it would be cooler to see an official translation.

I know pretty much squat of non-European languages in general, but I'm under the impression that, while randomly selected dialects of Chinese are quite likely to be close to complete gibberish to each other, there's enough history of trade within China that people tend(ed) to have some grasp of their neighbor's dialects ...
There are a number of ethnic minorities within China, including some with non-Sinitic languages. No idea which of those would be totally incomprehensible to nominal Chinese, though, and of course you'ld have to pick one whose users live reasonably close to wherever the other groups of your AU are.

I seem to remember, though, that other Chinese (used to?) see the Miao as a tribe of magic-users with weird customs (one of them being that they're a rather matriarchal society).
That's pretty much accurate. There are dialectical families in China that are mutually intelligible (ex. Shanghainese and Ningbonese are both Wu dialects and are mutually intelligible, but they don't share similarities with dialects like Cantonese). Pretty much everyone speaks Mandarin as well, though, even though most dialects aren't really mutually intelligible with Mandarin (although you can sometimes get the gist of what someone is saying). I really like your idea for a Miao dialect being the "equivalent" of Finnish...I don't know much about their language or culture tbh, but the videos I could find on YouTube didn't sound like they had anything in common with Mandarin, so it works!

If you're thinking about portraying the dialectical differences in writing, though, you'd run into issues with differentiating them...afaik most dialects don't have their own written form and just borrow simplified Chinese characters (with the exception of Cantonese and Taiwanese, which use traditional Chinese characters...the Wikipedia page for simplified Chinese says that Shanghainese has its own set of characters, but that contradicts what my mom has always taught me, so idk what writing they could be referring to).
Butter good.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
The Akielos twitter has posted a preview page of the French edition~
Voila

And it looks like things are on schedule for the October 16th release date. : D

P__

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 05:35:02 AM »

This will be *so* cool! I'm impatient to see how good a job the translators have done!
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 03:53:39 AM »
I just checked the six-page preview you can look at from this page, via clicking on the red bar under the cover photo. Things look good so far, except that the translators seem to have mistaken Sigrun Larsen for a man (the translation of her info is okay, but it uses the masculine form of the adjectives). I'm really hoping they communicated enough to get the main characters right.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:07:25 AM by Grade E cat »