Author Topic: Rock Geeks  (Read 7358 times)

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
Re: Rock Geeks
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 12:51:16 AM »

And the Mojave ooh! What were you looking at there? The biological crusts are fascinating. Did you get to Kelso or Hole in the Wall? A lot of that country reminds me of Central Australia.

I went to both! It was an igenous and metamorphic petrology trip so we got to see alll the good stuff. Borax mine was also a favorite. I got some really good samples of Ulexite :0
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 01:22:18 AM »
Update: Just had first day of geology class and I Deeply love the professor for many reasons, plus there're going to be like 10 assorted field trips (including some with more hiking) on weekends.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
I'll be sure to post any interesting features I see out in New Mexico this season. Also that pummice obsidian once I get the larger sample cut... Kinda hard to find a rock saw large enough to handle something as large as a small oblong watermelon despite the local rockhounding club.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 02:05:47 PM »
Growing up around rocks must be neat.

I basically grew up and live on a sandbar.  (Yes, yes, technically it's all moraine, but it's a sandbar)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Solokov

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
It's fun.... Except when it moves unexpectedly.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
Growing up around rocks must be neat.

I basically grew up and live on a sandbar.  (Yes, yes, technically it's all moraine, but it's a sandbar)

Yes, but sand is just rocks... but small. Get a nice hand lens and you'll never be bored again ;)

It's fun.... Except when it moves unexpectedly.

That's a big mood, I had no idea other people didn't do earthquake drills in class till i moved overseas.
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 03:42:03 AM »
Yes, but sand is just rocks... but small. Get a nice hand lens and you'll never be bored again ;)

That's a big mood, I had no idea other people didn't do earthquake drills in class till i moved overseas.

We do em here in school too. And there's some big one on a specific day that a bunch of businesses in the city agree on to raise awareness? not sure about that one though
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
We do em here in school too. And there's some big one on a specific day that a bunch of businesses in the city agree on to raise awareness? not sure about that one though

No earthquake drills out by me.

The first time I ever felt an earthquake was a 5.0 aftershock of the 1989 Loma Prieta temblor (aka the Rattle of the Bay) when I was in Monterey, California.  (For the main quake my ex and I were driving north from Santa Barbara towards San Francisco and we didn't find out about it until an hour or two later).
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
No earthquake drills out by me.

The first time I ever felt an earthquake was a 5.0 aftershock of the 1989 Loma Prieta temblor (aka the Rattle of the Bay) when I was in Monterey, California.  (For the main quake my ex and I were driving north from Santa Barbara towards San Francisco and we didn't find out about it until an hour or two later).

I don't remember any earthquakes, but I was a toddler when the 2001 Nisqually quake hit, which was a 6.8 but a little ways outside the city. According to my parents, I wasn't particularly afraid, just Very Put Out at the ground for not behaving like the ground was supposed to.

Solokov

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 04:00:00 AM »
One time during high school, I think it was sophomore or junior year, we had a series of shallow 4.4ish quakes over the course of a few days. it was like clockwork actually, about 10:30 every day (except one which was after lunch), I remember the time distinctly because I was in Spanish class at the time, on the second floor of the high school, and that was right before brunch break.  They were all really slow moving S waves. Felt like we were a slow row of swells and troughs on a boat for about 10 seconds.

The weird thing was almost exactly a year later the same thing happened around the same time, but it was only one day that it happened.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 12:31:19 AM »
Me, pick meee!  We go rockhounding for fun, and my husband does beautiful lapidary work.  NZ is blessed with amazing rocks, mostly in the semiprecious range.  Favourite spots include several on the Coromandel Peninsula, for jaspers, chert, rhyolites, carnelian, chalcedony, sundry agates, and petrified wood. Even Auckland has lovely jaspers.
I may do a photo dump later.

Edit: I was in the Loma Prieta quake too, albeit just under 100 miles away in Davis.  I was working in a copy shop and taking somebody's order, but we both sort of paused individually to evaluate why we suddenly felt so dizzy and weird.  It was kind of fun feeling the big waves, and the big production copiers didn't even jam.  Then we all realised that it meant there was a big one elsewhere, and we turned on the radio.  We realised that they were probably about to throw out the first pitch in the Bay Area edition of the World Series, SF Giants vs Oakland A's, and it would be havoc.  We were right.   :(
My husband was leaning in a door jamb talking to somebody, on the seventh floor of a building (also in Davis), and suddenly the door jamb wasn't there anymore and he started falling.  Then the door jamb came back for him, wham! 
Fun fact: we'd gone to the courthouse to take out paperwork to get married earlier that day, so I will never forget the date.  (Why yes, I am pretty much a romance-free zone, and I got married only because I'd become diabetic earlier that year, and we thought another state might refuse us insurance benefits if we were only de facto married.   ::))
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:58:49 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 02:00:58 AM »
Some finds from the Coromandel - from left: Carnelian, kauri gum, and chalcedony

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 02:42:25 AM »
today in geology I learned that one explanation for why our coast range here is so tall compared to the same mountains in Oregon or California is that that whole mountain chain is composed of random crap scraped off a subducting ocean plate and our bit of it happened to get a small island or seamount scraped off into it so there was just more volume and I've been trying to deal with this concept all day. Also there are apparently whale fossils up there??

Solokov

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »
Also there are apparently whale fossils up there??

Can confirm whale fossils are up in the coast range. Also mammoth fossils and weird... stuff like the paleoparadoxia. My grand-dad on my mom's side was driving the dozer when they cut down to find those fossils when stanford was building the linear accelerator.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:30 AM »
I don't have a whole lot to add to this thread, but I'm really enjoying it!

Here are a few photos of rocks anyway :)

Spoiler: Rocks! • show

Rocks at the mouth of the Margaret River in Western Australia. Note the seam running through the second two

A rather shaky photo of a cave inside of the Jungfraujoch mountain in Switzerland

A few shots of the Jenolan Caves in New South Wales

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t