Author Topic: True stories  (Read 438 times)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
True stories
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »
I've a feeling that Mikkel may not be the only one able to spin a tall tale......

So, I've a friend who spends a bit too much time studying (not a sensible thing to do if you ask me, but who's to stop these people), and it came to exam time and he would study even more. Late into the night he'd go, as the rest of us left to get some sleep. Now, one morning, I was making my way to the computer room, expecting to see this friend there, but what greeted me was a strange sight indeed! There was my friend running about with half a book stuck to his beard. Turns out he'd fallen asleep at his desk, and his drool had seeped into the book and melted some of the glue holding it together. Poor guy had to shave half of his beard off, or he wouldn't be allowed to sit the exam that afternoon.

True story :mikkel:
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wales: :uk:
駄洒落だけ: :japan:
Working on it :netherlands:
Tourist level: :spain: :france: :italy:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
Re: True stories
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:36:46 AM »
Once we had a huge power failure in Auckland, so we sat around at work for awhile.  It happened to be my birthday, so we ate the morning tea I'd brought in, but still no power.  I left work early & went up to my daughter's school.  (Little kids don't need lights in their classrooms in the daytime.) I was given a torch and asked to take a bunch of the girls down to the toilet. 
Little kids have no filter. While two little girls are sitting on the toilets, the rest take their pants down and stand around waiting their turn with their pants around their ankles.  I'm surrounded by 8 four-year-olds squealing because they're in the toilet in the dark. 
The torch is not very effective, trying to light one or the other of the cubicles. I hit upon the brainstorm of bouncing the light off the ceiling like a torchiere lamp. I point the torch upward at the light fixture, and turn it on. 
All the lights switch on.
While I gape dumbfounded at the working lights, I  am surrounded by 8 four-year-olds with their pants around their ankles, squealing. One of them cries out, "She's the Power Fairy!"  All of the 8 four-year-old girls with their pants around their ankles are now jumping up and down and hailing me as the Power Fairy, and all I can do is gape at the lights.
True story. :mikkel:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:03:38 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :usa:
Acquired: :newzealand:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :estonia:

Chapter break survivor: :chap18: :chap17: :book3: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :book2: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6: :book1: :chap5:

(Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

JoB

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
While I gape dumbfounded at the working lights, I  am surrounded by 8 four-year-olds with their pants around their ankles, squealing. One of them cries out, "She's the Power Fairy!"  All of the 8 four-year-old girls with their pants around their ankles are now jumping up and down and hailing me as the Power Fairy, and all I can do is gape at the lights.
You seem to have sort of a negative brother here in Germany. A (back then) school boy who, being frustrated with something, went on a walk that took him onto a hilltop with an electricity pylon. The moment he kicked it, there was a power failure and he could see the entire city below turning dark. >:D
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:17:55 PM »
You seem to have sort of a negative brother here in Germany. A (back then) school boy who, being frustrated with something, went on a walk that took him onto a hilltop with an electricity pylon. The moment he kicked it, there was a power failure and he could see the entire city below turning dark. >:D
Poor infrastructure, in (West) Germany?  That's when I know it's a tall story.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :usa:
Acquired: :newzealand:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :estonia:

Chapter break survivor: :chap18: :chap17: :book3: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :book2: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6: :book1: :chap5:

(Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

JoB

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
Poor infrastructure, in (West) Germany?  That's when I know it's a tall story.
I've seen two hours-long outages (namely, a states-sized one in 2004 and one covering several suburbs this year) in my life so far, they're rare, but not nonexistent, even in Germany.

(And just in case someone didn't get it, of course the boy wasn't the cause of the outage, though he thought he was and didn't dare return home until a search party found him.)
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

P__

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
Meh. They just told him the power outage wasn't his fault so he wouldn't run away C:-)
:chap5: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book2: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book3: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap18: :chap17: :chap16: :chap15: :chap14: :chap13: :chap12: :chap11: :chap10: :chap9: :chap8: :chap7: :chap6:

phyrestorm999

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »
Once upon a time, when my father was young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, he went hiking with his buddies.  They parked their car on a steep slope where perhaps it wasn't very wise to park, especially since it was really muddy, but the car held still and they all got out.  I'm not clear on exactly what happened, but at some point, the car didn't hold still anymore, and my dad ran to save it.  He jumped in as it was rolling downhill and tried to hit the brakes, but his shoe was so muddy that it slipped off.  He tried again, and the same thing happened.  Finally, his foot stayed on the brake and stopped the car.  He put the emergency brake on too and got out.  And the car was RIGHT on the edge of a HUGE CLIFF.

When I was about 6, I thought this story was really cool and got him to tell it to my friends too. 

As an adult, I'm pretty sure he made the whole thing up to satisfy my request for "an exciting story," but I'm still not sure.  Maybe I should ask him.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 02:34:18 AM »
I've a feeling that Mikkel may not be the only one able to spin a tall tale......

So, I've a friend who spends a bit too much time studying (not a sensible thing to do if you ask me, but who's to stop these people), and it came to exam time and he would study even more. Late into the night he'd go, as the rest of us left to get some sleep. Now, one morning, I was making my way to the computer room, expecting to see this friend there, but what greeted me was a strange sight indeed! There was my friend running about with half a book stuck to his beard. Turns out he'd fallen asleep at his desk, and his drool had seeped into the book and melted some of the glue holding it together. Poor guy had to shave half of his beard off, or he wouldn't be allowed to sit the exam that afternoon.

True story :mikkel:

Gwenno, this is a wonderful thread.  BUT since it seems to cover a wide variety of real-life happenings (not, say, "I went on a treasure hunt for old books in Denmark with 5 wacky friends from all over Scandinavia in a military surplus vehicle converted into an RV!"), would it make more sense to move this to the General Discussion folder?  I think it would get a wider audience, which would lead to more readership and (probably) more contributions. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Windfighter

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 05:19:37 AM »
I once went on an expedition to Copenhagen with several good friends from different countries. We happened upon a park where a few ghosts started following us. As we tried to outrun the ghosts one of us got stuck in a tree, a few others collapsed on a hill and the rest of us got distracted by skipping across the field. The ghosts got so confused by us they went back the way they came from.

True story.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:03:24 AM by Windfighter »
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Windfighter

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
*awesome story*

dubbelposting to finally bring y'all this thing that wavewright inspired:
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 10:00:42 PM »
I can tell a classic family story.

Many, many years ago, in the days before cell phones, my father was in a production of Godspell. Close to opening night, the cast took a bit of a drive in a big van to hold them all. Right before they went back to the school where they were to have a dress rehearsal and finish preparations for the show, they stopped at a gas station. People took the few minutes to relax, stretch their legs, et cetera. My dad decided to go into the store and get himself a snack. When he got back outside, the van was gone. They had driven off without him, and no one noticed.

He had no cell phone then; he couldn't just call them to turn around. But luckily his recently married sister lived nearby, just a healthy walk away. So he walked to her apartment and found his brother-in-law there, who drove him back to the school. By this point the rest of the cast had arrived and someone had finally looked around and asked, "Hey, where's ___?" But he returned, and they laughed about it, and they continued with their preparations.

My dad was playing Jesus in the show. So, on opening night, when they got to the scene about separating the goats from the sheep ("whatsoever you do to the least of my people, you do unto me"), my dad decided to ad-lib a bit of the script. With the cast kneeling as sheep, he surprised both them and the audience with:
"When I was hungry you gave me no food; when I was thirsty you gave me no drink; and when I was left behind in (place) you didn't notice and drove back without me and I had to get a ride from my brother-in-law!"

True story.
"Hope, now, is a tricky thing. A real double edged sword. It is the sole power that keeps mankind on it's feet. Heads up and at it. Even in time of crisis. An invaluable force of nature. But as hope can be true... it can also be false. We choose the way to go, but will the road set us free?"- Marko Saaresto
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :book3:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Róisín

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Keeper, that's way funny!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
Keeper - That must have been an amazing play to watch :P

I once went on an expedition to Copenhagen with several good friends from different countries. We happened upon a park where a few ghosts started following us. As we tried to outrun the ghosts one of us got stuck in a tree, a few others collapsed on a hill and the rest of us got distracted by skipping across the field. The ghosts got so confused by us they went back the way they came from.

True story.

Worthy of the master himself. That is a Mikkel-worthy true story if I ever saw one

Gwenno, this is a wonderful thread.  BUT since it seems to cover a wide variety of real-life happenings (not, say, "I went on a treasure hunt for old books in Denmark with 5 wacky friends from all over Scandinavia in a military surplus vehicle converted into an RV!"), would it make more sense to move this to the General Discussion folder?  I think it would get a wider audience, which would lead to more readership and (probably) more contributions.

I started it off on the SSSS board due to it's relation to current comic events, but as it drifts away from that I'd be okay moving it to the general discussion board :)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wales: :uk:
駄洒落だけ: :japan:
Working on it :netherlands:
Tourist level: :spain: :france: :italy:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc