Author Topic: Learning Russian  (Read 22024 times)

ianazavi

• Super-Newbie
Learning Russian
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:24:00 AM »
IMPORTANT!!! THIS FORUM DOES NOT KNOW RUSSIAN LETTERS
THINKING OF HOW TO FIX

If you would like to get the "task" - let me know

Hey to all you nice people who want to share their knowledge and help all of us communicate better.
I think helping each other learn new languages is a great idea, so I'm starting this topic for RUSSIAN.

I'll be posting some basic info and tasks for you to complete.

I've also noticed that there are a few other native Russian speakers around here. It'd be great if you could help out :)

Also, I would really love to see someone starting something like this in another language! I would really LOVE to learn something new. ANY LANGUAGE!  ;D

SO HERE WE GO

The russian alphabet

??- Pronounced like the "a" in the word "father" or "car". It is not the 'flat' "a" sound you sometimes hear in words like "cat" or "flat".

?? - Pronounced like the "b" in "bat". (Equivalent to the english letter "b").

?? - Pronounced like the "v" in "vet". (Equivalent to the english letter "v").

?? - Pronounced like the "g" in "go". (Equivalent to the english letter "g").

?? - Pronounced like the "d" in "dog". (Equivalent to the english letter "d").

?? - Pronounced like the "ye" in "yes".

?? - ? ? - Pronounced like "yo" in "yonder" or yo-yo but shorter

?? - Like "s" in "measure", "pleasure" or "fusion" or like "g" in colour "beige". (As there is no english symbol for this sound, it is usually represented as "zh")

?? - Pronounced like the "z" in "zoo". (Equivalent to the english letter "z").

?? - Pronounced like the "i" in "taxi". (Sometimes equivalent to the english letter "i", the short 'ee' sound.). (Note: The hand-written form for "?" looks a little like the english "u").

?? - This letter is used to form diphthongs. So "o?" is like the "oy" sound in "boy" or "a?" is like the "igh" in "sigh". Think of yikes! or Yellow... so I guess this letter relates to Y in some cases.

??, Pronounced like the "k" in "kitten" or "kangaroo". This letter replaces the english "c" sound in words like "cat"

??,  Pronounced like the "l" in "love". (Equivalent to the english letter "l").

??, Pronounced like the "m" in man. (Note: Unlike english, the hand-written "?" should always start from the bottom)

??, Pronounced like the "n" in "no". (Equivalent to the english letter "n").

??, When stressed, it is pronounced like the "o" in "bore". When un-stressed it is pronounced more like the letter "a". (See later notes.)

?? - Pronounced like the "p" in "pot". (Equivalent to the english letter "p").

?? - Pronounced like the "r" in "run", but it is rolled. (Equivalent to the english letter "r").
??, - Pronounced like the "s" in "see". (Equivalent to the english letter "s"). (It might help to remember that it's used like the "s" sound in the english words "centre" and "cent".)

?? - Pronounced like the "t" in "tap". (Note: The hand-written (and italic) form is "?". It should always start from the top, as it looks quite similar to the letter "?")

??, - Pronounced like the "oo" in "boot" or "root".

??,  Pronounced like the "f" in "fat". (Equivalent to the english letter "f").

??, - Pronounced like the "h" in "hello". However, this is often pronounced more like the "ch" in the Scottish "Loch" or German "Bach", or the spanish "x" in "Mexico".

??, -  Similar to the "ts" sound in "sits" or "its".

??, - Pronounced like the "ch" in "chips" or "church" .

??,  -Pronounced like the "sh" in shut.

?? - Pronounced like "sh" but with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Try putting your tongue in the same position as you would to say "ch" but say "sh" instead. English speakers may find it hard to define the difference between "?" and "?".

?? -The 'Hard Sign' is rarely used. It indicates a slight pause between sylables.

?? - Pronounced like the "i" in "bit" or "ill". (Said with your tongue slightly back in your mouth.)

?? -  The 'Soft Sign' makes the previous letter 'soft'. Think of the "p" sound in the word "pew". (Try inflecting a very slight "y" sound onto letter before it.)

?? - Pronounced like the "e" in "fed".

?? - Pronounced like the "u" in "universe". (Pronounced much like the english word "you").

?? - Pronounced like the "ya" in "yard".

FIRST TEST

TRY to GUESS what these words are. Keep this task interesting for others - don't post the anwsers here - send them via PM. This is for getting a grip on some of the letters.

????

????

????

?????????

???????

?????????

??????????

?????????

?????????

??????

??????

????????

????

????????

????

????????

?????????

?????

??????

SOME RUSSIAN

?????? - Hi

???? ????? - My name is

? ????? ???? ?????? - I love this comicbook

End of lesson 1

Will try to find russian keyboard for u!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:42:27 AM by ianazavi »

ianazavi

• Super-Newbie
Re: Learning Russian
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:33:05 AM »
Ok, this will have to do 4 now :(

Headfinder

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
You should record some of those sounds (if not all) on vocaroo, like the "shch" looking leter

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »
You should record some of those sounds (if not all) on vocaroo, like the "shch" looking leter

I think, this video
may be useful for it.

Also in Russian not all the words sound the way we spell them. For example, in words like ???, ????, ???? (another try to use cirillic skript :) ) consonant on the end of the word actually sounds voiceless: [???], [????], [????]. It becomes voised if we add some vowel ending or suffix: ???a, ??????? etc.
Another example: o and e sound [ o] and [e] only under strike. Word ?????? actually sounds [?????ó]. And strike in Russion is - umm, - complicated...
This is how I utter spoken words http://vocaroo.com/i/s0uIyTtMczjs
Edit: words in cirillic looked normal on previw... And became broken in post. Strange. Well, there were: dub, grib, grad sounding [dup], [grip] and [grat]; than duba and dubovy sounding with [ b] sound, and last but not least moloko sounding [malakó]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:11:12 PM by Bobriha »
majavanainen

OurAdversarialSystem

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:13:04 AM »
Ya ne znaiou po-Russki. Ya bil uchiou russki yazzikh ve universitate no ya ne dumaiou grammatiki.

RC1138

• In Soviet Russia clones uses Pallpatin!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:10 AM »
Umm..
Check? Check? Some one still alive here? Do you need a russian in this topic?

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
Umm..
Check? Check? Some one still alive here? Do you need a russian in this topic?
Belarusian guy here, same thing as well. Don't ask me anything about grammar and especially punctuation, though.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

RC1138

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:12:28 AM »
A zachem to sprashivat'?)))
Glad to see a neightbor here...

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
A zachem to sprashivat'?)))
С пунктуацией у меня были нелады в школе. Я запорол кучу диктантов неправильно поставленными запятыми.
Впрочем, судя по всему, у иностранцев больше всего вопросов вызывает произношение русских звуков и склонение/падежи, а не запятые.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

RC1138

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
О, так тут кириллица работает...

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »
Даже залогинилась, чтобы свои пять копеек вставить. Всё ручонки не доходили сюда написать. Спасибо, что оживили тему х)

Anyway, if anybody's interested in going on with this thread, count me in. I have absolutely no idea how to organize the process overall, but if the ones interested in learning our weird language have any specific questions, I'll gladly give the answers as detailed as I can. I may not know everything, of course, but looking for some new aspects of native language is pretty cool for me, too.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

bread

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
I'm was always interested in learning Russian and I'm finally trying to learn now. There are so many letters and suffixes.
Does anyone know any websites good for learning Russian?

cynicalos

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 12:07:57 AM »
Does anyone know any websites good for learning Russian?

Well, RT has a decent one. Memrise is also pretty good IMO. However, I felt like all of them are a little lackluster, to say the least.

Honestly, if you want to learn grammar and the language, you're better off picking up a cheap textbook. I highly recommend the Penguin New Russian Course, which I got really cheap used on ebay.

That, and watch movies - the older Soviet ones are better because they speak more simply, clearly, and politely.

Once you learn basic rules or aspects of grammar, there are a ton of review pages or practice pages. MasterRussian comes to mind, but it's REALLY hard to learn the stuff from these in the first place unless you have at least a little external background.

Try Белое Солнце Пустыни or maybe Летят Журавли. And I don't think anyone dislikes Крокодил Гена.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:11:32 AM by cynicalos »

bread

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:37:14 AM »
Well, RT has a decent one. Memrise is also pretty good IMO. However, I felt like all of them are a little lackluster, to say the least.

Honestly, if you want to learn grammar and the language, you're better off picking up a cheap textbook. I highly recommend the Penguin New Russian Course, which I got really cheap used on ebay.

That, and watch movies - the older Soviet ones are better because they speak more simply, clearly, and politely.

Once you learn basic rules or aspects of grammar, there are a ton of review pages or practice pages. MasterRussian comes to mind, but it's REALLY hard to learn the stuff from these in the first place unless you have at least a little external background.

Try Белое Солнце Пустыни or maybe Летят Журавли. And I don't think anyone dislikes Крокодил Гена.

Thank you, I think I remember watching Крокодил Гена when I was young. Do you know the name of the soviet cartoon which had a lion and turtle? I don't remember much else about it.  :P

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »
Do you know the name of the soviet cartoon which had a lion and turtle? I don't remember much else about it.  :P

Do you have this one in mind?
(Never really liked it, though :P)
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany: