Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 150072 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2014, 04:19:01 PM »
Do we really need that profanity filter? So far I don't see many people trying to use profanities, but I do see regular words being mangled because the overzealous filter looks for spelling variations as well.

Um, I would probably swear more if it wasn't filtered. Now I just say frick a lot.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
Do we really need that profanity filter? So far I don't see many people trying to use profanities, but I do see regular words being mangled because the overzealous filter looks for spelling variations as well.
It's there for a reason.  I wanted to keep this place somewhat "kid safe."  I know, it's weird, I'm weird, but it keeps things a little tidier on my side, in the long run.  Could you give some examples or quotes?  I can dial it back if I know what to look for, or what's causing problems.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »
It's there for a reason.  I wanted to keep this place somewhat "kid safe."  I know, it's weird, I'm weird, but it keeps things a little tidier on my side, in the long run.  Could you give some examples or quotes?  I can dial it back if I know what to look for, or what's causing problems.

Thank you for keeping it kid safe, Eich! While some swearing every now and then is not something I mind (heck, I even swear from time to time), when every other word becomes a profanity it's definitely not fun.

But it is indeed true profanity filters sometimes filter out normal words. For example, when Bunny was sending some text in Japanese to me, it filtered out s-- in what were just normal introduction phrases!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
Yeah it filters sequences like f.u.k.u and s.u.k.u in Japanese words. I believe the Latin word for "with" would also pose problem.

What about the video game Assassin Creed? edit: ok this one comes out fine. You win this time!
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Thank you for keeping it kid safe, Eich! While some swearing every now and then is not something I mind (heck, I even swear from time to time), when every other word becomes a profanity it's definitely not fun.

But it is indeed true profanity filters sometimes filter out normal words. For example, when Bunny was sending some text in Japanese to me, it filtered out s-- in what were just normal introduction phrases!
I'm actually trying to tone down how much I swear irl.  :P 

Yeah it filters sequences like f.u.k.u and s.u.k.u in Japanese words. I believe the Latin word for "with" would also pose problem.

What about the video game Assassin Creed? edit: ok this one comes out fine. You win this time!
I'll look into it.  That's one of the things I can edit without help from the SMF guys.
I know the filter won't censor out words that it recognizes.  I didn't censor ass but, I'm pretty sure that, even if I did, it wouldn't censor things like "assassin," or "assent." 
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »
I just noticed that the forum censors the B-word.  (5-letter word for "female dog."  Can I say "bee-yotch"?) 

At the risk of being called a beeyotch, I'd be OK with letting that word be used.  I used it in a PM to someone saying, "I hope I don't sound b****-y."  Instead, the software censored the whole word, so it was "*****y."  In a way, that was worse -- those asterisks could stand for ANYTHING...!

In fact, is it possible to set looser standards for PMs vs. forum posts?  Prissy as I am about our level of public discourse, I'm OK with consenting forum-ites using whatever language they want in one-to-one messages. 

On second thought, I guess that would open the door to someone unilaterally using bad language on someone else in a PM.  But none of us would do that, would we?   :-\
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »
I just noticed that the forum censors the B-word.  (5-letter word for "female dog."  Can I say "bee-yotch"?) 

At the risk of being called a beeyotch, I'd be OK with letting that word be used.  I used it in a PM to someone saying, "I hope I don't sound b****-y."  Instead, the software censored the whole word, so it was "*****y."  In a way, that was worse -- those asterisks could stand for ANYTHING...!

In fact, is it possible to set looser standards for PMs vs. forum posts?  Prissy as I am about our level of public discourse, I'm OK with consenting forum-ites using whatever language they want in one-to-one messages. 

On second thought, I guess that would open the door to someone unilaterally using bad language on someone else in a PM.  But none of us would do that, would we?   :-\
I can't change where it applies, unfortunately.  I'll work on making the filter more comprehensive this weekend, to avoid things like that in the future.  I'll probably just uncover the first letter or something.

Removed the filter for the f-u-k combination, so romanji should have an easier time passing, now.
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
It seems that Clayres can't upload a new avatar, and when I tried to upload an attachment (PNG of a measly 23 kB), I got "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." Same cause for both, mayhaps ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »
It seems that Clayres can't upload a new avatar, and when I tried to upload an attachment (PNG of a measly 23 kB), I got "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." Same cause for both, mayhaps ... ?
Just checked it out.  The site says that there's currently 49 Mb of attachments.  I'm not sure if that includes avatars or not, but they are listed under the same page, so I would assume so.  If nobody minds, I can prune the attachments to whittle down the space they're taking up.  It'll get rid of them, but it'll free up some space.
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Perhaps I'll add an announcement on the first post of the SSSS and aRTD forums that attachments are discouraged? If the site can only take 49Mb of them, it's best not to use them too much.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »
Perhaps I'll add an announcement on the first post of the SSSS and aRTD forums that attachments are discouraged? If the site can only take 49Mb of them, it's best not to use them too much.
Good idea.  I'll do the same on the GDB museum.
Feel free to PM.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2014, 06:41:24 PM »
Since the same space seems to be used for attachments and avatars, it might be best to search for ways to disable the use of attachments, or new users are going to be forever unable to use avatars!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
Since the same space seems to be used for attachments and avatars, it might be best to search for ways to disable the use of attachments, or new users are going to be forever unable to use avatars!
There's a way to.  I'll get on that after I get back from the thing I'm about to go do in a while.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »

Huh, good reason not to use attachments, I guess.  I PM'd kex with some photos of my favorite hike.  While they weren't huge, they would eat into the 49 MB quota, so I'll delete them now. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at no-reply@x10hosting.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The avatar thing still won't work for me. While I usually get a blank page, this time I actually got an error report. Could it be connected to something else than the attachment problem, assuming that it is already solved?
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan: