Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 150010 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 05:01:16 AM »
Just FYI: I just had problems logging in to the forum for the second or maybe third time since it got set up. The symptom is that I grab a browser tab with the forum's home page still in it, but logged out; try to log in, with the username still in the text field and the password supplied from Firefox's stored passwords; and get told that the password's incorrect. Using just the browser's "back" button to try again yields the same result, and so does a simple reload of the forum's home page, but a shift-reload (i.e., ignore browser cache and force actual reload of all parts of the page) does the trick (and is enough of a workaround for me).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
OK, the "You have tried to post this before" problem is a bug!

I posted a new thread for us to map out Sigrun's character development. I then tried to post one for Mikkel but with new text, new title etc - and got the error message. I then tried to post a new thread starting with complete gibberish and still got the error message!

Basically, this feature seems extremely bugged.

EDIT: Posting here seems to have cleared the jam. Still, it's a nuisance.

I wonder if I am getting the wrong error message, and instead it should be telling me I have tried to post too soon after the first post? That is a sensible anti-spam option!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:27:02 AM by Richard Weir »
My one-and-only: :uk:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »

I wonder if I am getting the wrong error message, and instead it should be telling me I have tried to post too soon after the first post? That is a sensible anti-spam option!

I suspect the latter is more likely, because I got the same error message while doing something similar.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 04:42:33 PM »

I posted a new thread for us to map out Sigrun's character development. I then tried to post one for Mikkel but with new text, new title etc - and got the error message. I then tried to post a new thread starting with complete gibberish and still got the error message!

Basically, this feature seems extremely bugged.

EDIT: Posting here seems to have cleared the jam. Still, it's a nuisance.

I think that's connected to the slowness of the site.  You know how you have to refresh to see any posts or changes?  I think it's just assuming that you're still in the process of posting a thread.  I'll ask the SMF pros about it, just in case though.
Feel free to PM.

ianazavi

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 02:47:00 AM »
 Can you make the firum recognise russian letters?

I started a topic for learning russian, but I can't write anything in russian for those who want to learn it. :(

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Glitchiness in page loading.
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
The forum has been loading strangely today; before the 25th October I've not had any issue with it in any way, but starting this morning, some time after I read a post where Origami Owl mentioned needing to try 6 times to post something, there's been occurrences where the page doesn't load and there's an error instead. I can't remember what the error page said, but the site has also loaded once or twice with plain text only. Will keep an eye out if it happens again.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Glitchiness in page loading.
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
Yup, happened to me too, a lot of times. It doesn't load. Although, truth be told, this thread should just be in the "Bugs and things to report" thread.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Glitchiness in page loading.
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
Oh, oops! I didn't realize. Noako, Eich, please delete/merge this thread.  :-[

Okay, it just says "This page is not available". And I propose that the "Bugs and things to report" thread be sticky-ed for visibility.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:50:10 AM by potatobunny »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
Woops, sorry, phone died for a while and I haven't been near my laptop for a bit. 
Yeah, I've seen that too.  I'll figure out what's going on when I get a chance, probably tomorrow sometime.  If it goes away before then, it's probably got something to do with the hosting site.  I'll have my phone with me, so keep me updated.
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »
My browser told me thrice today (so far) that it couldn't connect to the server, but happily loaded the page when I hit "reload". Partial load just once right now (on entering this very thread, ah, the irony).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
Yup, I've been having the same problems- I'll click on a link, page turns white and says it's not connected to the server. Refreshing the page needs to done a few times, and then you get plain text, and anything you've written is deleted. Other times when this happens I just press Back, which is ok, it doesn't delete stuff, but you can't click anything :/
Usually when the weird thing happens it tells me I'm logged out, but when I click another link or go back a page, I'm logged in again? Heh, even when I log in "forever" I have to log in every couple of minutes or pages :P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Yup, I've been having the same problems- I'll click on a link, page turns white and says it's not connected to the server. Refreshing the page needs to done a few times, and then you get plain text, and anything you've written is deleted. Other times when this happens I just press Back, which is ok, it doesn't delete stuff, but you can't click anything :/
Usually when the weird thing happens it tells me I'm logged out, but when I click another link or go back a page, I'm logged in again? Heh, even when I log in "forever" I have to log in every couple of minutes or pages :P
I also had the same problems earlier today- but they don't seem to be happening that often as of now.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
Probably not-helpful, but I haven't had any problems with the site at all today, and I've been on at least three times now. Which is fortunate, given how stupidly slow my computer has been running already, or I might have throttled it. Somehow.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2014, 01:13:54 AM »
The forum has been loading strangely today; before the 25th October I've not had any issue with it in any way, but starting this morning, some time after I read a post where Origami Owl mentioned needing to try 6 times to post something, there's been occurrences where the page doesn't load and there's an error instead. I can't remember what the error page said, but the site has also loaded once or twice with plain text only. Will keep an eye out if it happens again.

I've had similar problems in the past 48 hours (i.e. since Thursday night 10/23 my time, or early 10/24 forum time).  Lots of "Page Not Available" on my Chrome browser.  But when I hit "refresh," the page instantly pops up. 

Unlike potatobunny, I have not seen the site loading in plaintext only.  The pages either serve up, or they don't. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »
I just got
Domain document root not found.

and

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at no-reply@x10hosting.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.