Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 148131 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Bugs and things to fix
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
Report all broken site things, bugs, and urgent problems here.

Suggest anything that might need improving or snazzing up of any kind.  Different from bugs and fixes in that these aren't urgent.

Here is what different staff groups can and can't do:

What a skald can do:
* Split threads into new topics
* Name new threads resulting from thread-splitting
* Edit any calendar event
* Merge threads
* Move threads to different boards.

What a skald can't do:
* Change or delete anyone's individual post
* Delete, lock, or unlock threads
* Sticky threads
* Add holidays to the calendar
* See or deal with anyone's PMs
* Ban/delete users
* Do major technical fixes

What a moderator can do:
* Everything a skald can do
* Lock/unlock topics
* Sticky topics
* Delete posts
* Ban/delete users
* Issue warnings to users

What a moderator can't do:
* (Anything technical)
* Add holidays to the calendar
* Add those little country flags (or any kind of imagery)
* Work with bugs/downtime/whatever
* Change the news up there
* See or deal with anyone's PMs

What an admin can do:
* Everything a mod can do
* Create new boards
* Make things visible/invisible to guests
* Add flags/smileys
* Change the news up there
* Change your login username (not the display name, you can change this on your own in your profile)
* Technical things
* Add/remove holidays to the calendar
* Edit forum site code
* Database stuff

What an admin can't do:
* This mostly depends on the admin and what their coding abilities, etc. are
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:22:37 PM by Feartheviolas »
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
Changing the font color to black (or at least a darker gray) is my main wish.  But I don't want to sound ungrateful -- it was so nice of you to build this playground for us!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
Changing the font color to black (or at least a darker gray) is my main wish.  But I don't want to sound ungrateful -- it was so nice of you to build this playground for us!

He said everything. Also, can you do that status-thingy? Like, forum Thor, skald, Grade-A Blessed Feline...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
He said everything. Also, can you do that status-thingy? Like, forum Thor, skald, Grade-A Blessed Feline...
You can see above my avatar, there's a thing that says "Oh, look, a custom title!"  I put that up there to show everybody that there's a location you can edit in your profile settings.  You can give yourself a little title or status or something; it's purely nominal, and doesn't really affect anything, but it is fun.  You can also add things like pictures or short bits of text in your signature, if you feel like it.  Try playing around with the profile settings for a bit, and see what you can come up with.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »
Hi, Nimphy. If the "He" in "He said it all" = me, I'm actually female.   :D 
In the real world, I get that a lot too because I have a masculine first name.  Even when I use its more feminine-sounding nickname, people mispronounce it.  At Starbucks, I just tell them "Ann."
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Nimphy

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
Hi, Nimphy. If the "He" in "He said it all" = me, I'm actually female.   :D 
In the real world, I get that a lot too because I have a masculine first name.  Even when I use its more feminine-sounding nickname, people mispronounce it.  At Starbucks, I just tell them "Ann."

Dang! I'm so sorry... for reasons to me unknown, I tend to assume that people on the net are males until proven otherwise. The girls in the SSSS fanbase are proof, and even now I'm unsure of a lot of people's gender...

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
I've already noticed a slight lag with posts updating, the default font color is a light gray that's kind of hard to read, and the avatar sizes are limited to be kind of small, so I'll be looking into those things for the next few days. 
If any of you find anything annoying of problematic, just tell me about it here and I'll see what I can do.
Posts, and the markup signaling new stuff (or lack thereof) in (sub)fora ...

I don't see image formats, size, or filesize limits for the avatars posted anywhere. (I started with a 200x200 PNG and quickly scaled that down to 100x100 when it came out much larger than other avatars. Which still seems to be noticeably larger than what Disqus displays on the Minnasite.)

(Edited after getting bitten right now) Got auto-logged-out while typing this, had to copy-paste into a new reply form, as hitting "post" in the old browser tab didn't work anymore. I take it that the "after 60 minutes" autologout doesn't refer to idle minutes ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
I feel like the forum looks a bit bland. How about a picture in top, some kind of banner?
If Minna allows it, I can see plenty material from the comic - even in the very first page, one of those scenery shots would fit perfectly up there, I think?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:36:46 PM »
Posts, and the markup signaling new stuff (or lack thereof) in (sub)fora ...

I don't see image formats, size, or filesize limits for the avatars posted anywhere. (I started with a 200x200 PNG and quickly scaled that down to 100x100 when it came out much larger than other avatars. Which still seems to be noticeably larger than what Disqus displays on the Minnasite.)

(Edited after getting bitten right now) Got auto-logged-out while typing this, had to copy-paste into a new reply form, as hitting "post" in the old browser tab didn't work anymore. I take it that the "after 60 minutes" autologout doesn't refer to idle minutes ... ?
If you're taking about the update lag after making a post, I think that's just something with the host I'm using.  I'm using a free host at the moment, but if the something unusual happens to the site, I plan on upgrading my account so we can get better speeds.  I've just been refreshing a lot, and that overcomes the lag problem for the time being. 
I was fiddling with the avatar sizes when you were setting up your account.  100x100 seems to fit fairly well for the purposes of the forum, I think, because we have a lot more room here than on the disqus pages.
Exactly right, you should be able to change how long you want to stay logged in for at each login, and I think you can change it permanently from your profile.  Could you check and see about that while I look into the default font color?

I feel like the forum looks a bit bland. How about a picture in top, some kind of banner?
If Minna allows it, I can see plenty material from the comic - even in the very first page, one of those scenery shots would fit perfectly up there, I think?
I do plan on getting someone to help me out with redesigning the site.  I chose this pre-made theme because it had a good ui and a neutral enough palette to start working with.  I'll have to see whether or not I can share or give admin rights to someone so they can help out with making the place pretty.
Feel free to PM.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
Is there any way to fine-tune the "duplicate post" detection? I decided to start a series of threads, one for each main character, for discussion of character development. For consistency I decided to use a cut-and-paste on each O.P.s, modified to fit each person. The forum refuses, claiming I am double-posting!

For now I will go ahead but with more significantly changed text, and see if I can edit it later.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Is there any way to fine-tune the "duplicate post" detection? I decided to start a series of threads, one for each main character, for discussion of character development. For consistency I decided to use a cut-and-paste on each O.P.s, modified to fit each person. The forum refuses, claiming I am double-posting!

For now I will go ahead but with more significantly changed text, and see if I can edit it later.
That's unchangeable, unfortunately.  Even if I could change up stuff like that, I don't have the kind of programming knowledge to do so.  I think the best option is the one you suggested, editing the posts is probably the best way to go about getting around that.  Though I'm not sure a separate thread for each character is necessary.  It's more convenient for conversation's sake, but the threads will most likely end up scattered around on different pages of the board.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »
That's it!  Everyone should now be able to post in standard black font, without having to specify the color with BBCode. 

I found the place to change to colors of text when previewing a post and changed it too but, for some reason, the change hasn't done anything on the site.  I went back and double checked to make sure I had the right line of code, and I did, but previews are still in a grey color.  I'm not sure if I can get around that, but if anyone dislikes it, I can try to find another work around.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:39:11 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »
I don't know if this is relevant, as it seems to be gone, but yesterday I tried to post a reply and the page redirected me to the 'create a new topic' option without displaying my comment. This happened three times, actually. I didn't have any problems this morning, but I thought I'd report it nevertheless.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »
I don't know if this is relevant, as it seems to be gone, but yesterday I tried to post a reply and the page redirected me to the 'create a new topic' option without displaying my comment. This happened three times, actually. I didn't have any problems this morning, but I thought I'd report it nevertheless.
That's happened to me on SMF in the past.  Not sure why it happens, I just back up and try again, usually.  :\
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
I've found a few oddities. When I've replied to a topic (using quick reply), the site redirects me out of the thread to the sub-topic thing (not the main page, but the ones like the SSSS Board etc.). Also, I tried logging in while viewing a thread, and it redirected me to a completely different thread after logging me in. And of course, actually showing the comment posted took a while, but that's been mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:59:32 PM by Lenny »
Am notified of private messages via email.