Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2357977 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19515 on: April 13, 2024, 12:11:52 PM »
The problem with roos and detection systems is the same as with roos and fences. A big roo can jump more than six feet off the ground. And not just roos are car hazards: hitting a wombat is like hitting a boulder in the road. Though the most damaging accidents I have been in with animals have been when the driver of the car I was in hit a horse which was standing sideways in the road on a blind corner north of Alice Springs (fortunately for us what broke the windscreen was the animal’s back rather than its hooves), and a wedgetailed eagle that came straight through the windscreen of a truck in which I was a passenger as it came down a slope in the Blue Mountains. Being in a truck cabin with a big, injured and very angry bird of prey was extremely unnerving.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #19516 on: April 16, 2024, 08:05:48 AM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #19517 on: May 01, 2024, 09:27:29 PM »
The insanity keeps coming closer. Today the 14 year old granddaughter of friends of mine from our reenactor club was in lockdown for over 6 hours today after another 14 year old student tried to enter their school with a rifle in Mt Horeb Wi. He was shot dead by police.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19518 on: May 02, 2024, 12:15:43 AM »
That's truly awful, I'm sorry to hear.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19519 on: May 02, 2024, 10:16:17 AM »
That is indeed terrible. I'm sorry for all concerned. And how are we getting 14 year olds into such a state? (And I wonder whether they could have stopped the child without shooting him. News stories don't seem to be addressing that, at least so far.)

Glass

• Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #19520 on: May 02, 2024, 10:23:37 AM »
The world is in a particular kind of way at the moment - chaos is constant, but it seems tragedy is haunting the 2020s more than usual.
I'm TheGlass on A03
glass01 on Discord
And Glass#0263 on Revolt

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19521 on: Today at 05:31:38 PM »
I have a friend who is a teacher, nowadays in Texas. I just can’t wrap my head around the way she repeatedly mentions having been in lockdown and of days when she’s debating whether she should send farewell messages to her own children. Several times a year. Being a teacher is not supposed to be a high risk job! How can it possibly be that things are that bad?

We had a school shooting in Finlad just recently, a 12-year old shot one classmate dead and two others were seriously injured. But this was the first incident in over 15 years. In the US there were 207 school shoorings in 2010-2019. Since 2020 to date it’s at 193 (source Wikipedia). Are we quite sure the end of the world has not already happened?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.