Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 68586 times)

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »
Hei! Minulla ollisi pyyntö.
Voiko kukaan lukea Kailaksen runon "Illan kanssa kahdenkesken" äänen? Vai ehkä sellainen levytys jo on olemassa jossakin?

(Ja, kuin tavallisesti, runoa :)

On sateinen kesä.
On kukkulan huippu
piillyt pilvien pohjaan.
Vihrea nurmi näkyy
läpi sateen savua.
Ei enää taivas ole korkea,
vaan se nyt on leveä.
Kalpea valo päylyy
kaukaisen pellon kasteilla.
Ei milloinkaan taivas ollut
yhtä leveä selvänä.)
majavanainen

rundrewrun

« Reply #331 on: July 20, 2016, 06:58:23 PM »
anyone have any other good online sites to learn on?

Bobriha

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2016, 03:29:45 AM »
anyone have any other good online sites to learn on?

Hei Rundrewrun! I believe there is a good chunk of the links to such sites spread on the first pages of this thread. This one for example http://donnerwetter.kielikeskus.helsinki.fi/FinnishForForeigners/ch2-en/ch2-50-reading.htm. They also provide a whole list of helpful sites: http://donnerwetter.kielikeskus.helsinki.fi/FinnishForForeigners/ch2-en/ch2-50-reading.htm.
majavanainen

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2016, 05:48:51 AM »
About the fingers: the name for the thumb is really old and possibly derived from an Uralian root word meaning "edge" or "rim", aka it's the finger on the edge or rim of the hand. According to Kielikello, a publication concentrating on Finnish language,  "peukalo" is mentioned for the first time In Finnish literature (which didn't exist before the 16th century) in 1540s, "keskisormi" in 1644, "etusormi" in 1738, "nimetön" in 1745 and "pikkusormi" in the 19th century. Before this pikkusormi was known as "sakarisormi" , "peg finger", mentioned in literature already in the 16th century.

In addition to the official names fingers have lots of different names in dialects, often derived from their uses. The index finger, etusormi,  especially has many: nuolusormi = "licking finger", nenäsormi = "nose finger", potinnuolija = "pot licker", tupakkanäppi = "tobacco finger" and voinlappaja = "butter scooper".

Keskisormi is also called isosormi = "big finger" or koukkusormi = "hook finger", the last one because it's the finger used in the traditional game sormikoukku, "finger hook".

Nimetön is just nimetön, "nameless", because it was believed to have magical powers which had to be protected by not naming the finger.

Pikkusormi has mostly different versions of names meaning "little" but has also been called piippasormi, "sprout finger".

Peukalo tends to be peukalo everywhere but gets funny additions like peukalopukki, "thumb billygoat", in children's rhymes - in which all fingers tend to have a myriad of funny nonsense names.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:03:53 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
I thought to mention, that for christmas I got "Kieli Käyttöön" printed from my mother.
it was not an actual christmas present, she just got it printed right before christmas, so it seems like it was a present. I am learning from it with my friend, who teach me. I am so happy about it :Đ
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #335 on: April 07, 2017, 01:20:52 AM »
Okay, guys, I probably need your help (if you know the Finnish grammar and all like that).
I have a Finnish textbook, teaching is divided into lessons and each lesson has several tasks to perform. I carry out these tasks and I try to do them correctly, but I have no one\anything who can find and point out my mistakes (and explain them). So if someone can help me with checking my tasks - I will be very grateful!
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
Okay, guys, I probably need your help (if you know the Finnish grammar and all like that).
I have a Finnish textbook, teaching is divided into lessons and each lesson has several tasks to perform. I carry out these tasks and I try to do them correctly, but I have no one\anything who can find and point out my mistakes (and explain them). So if someone can help me with checking my tasks - I will be very grateful!

I can try to help, I'm a native Finnish speaker. :)
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
I can try to help, I'm a native Finnish speaker. :)
Oh, it will be very, very cool!
I can scan the pages of my textbook with tasks and my notebook with the completed tasks, if it's convenient for you.
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #338 on: April 11, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Oh, it will be very, very cool!
I can scan the pages of my textbook with tasks and my notebook with the completed tasks, if it's convenient for you.

Yeah, I'll PM you so we can figure out what would work best. :)
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2017, 12:21:28 AM »
Mild thread necromancy for this, but I figured I might ask.
I've been trying to learn Finnish for quite a while now, and I do all right with vocabulary, but I can't find a way to study grammar that motivates me well. I've found that flash card websites, especially ones with streak counters, do work well for me, but I can't seem to find any good ones that deal with grammar. Does anyone know of anything like this? Really, anything that can be done a few minutes at a time and has a daily streak counter would work.
Spoiler: it works really well • show

Thank you in advance!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »
Mild thread necromancy for this, but I figured I might ask.
I've been trying to learn Finnish for quite a while now, and I do all right with vocabulary, but I can't find a way to study grammar that motivates me well. I've found that flash card websites, especially ones with streak counters, do work well for me, but I can't seem to find any good ones that deal with grammar. Does anyone know of anything like this? Really, anything that can be done a few minutes at a time and has a daily streak counter would work.
Spoiler: it works really well • show

Thank you in advance!

I don't know anywhere to learn grammar, but what's that site you're using for vocabulary? I'd kinda like to try it.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
I don't know anywhere to learn grammar, but what's that site you're using for vocabulary? I'd kinda like to try it.

It's called Memrise! Pretty standard as far as flash-card-based review websites go, but it does have a couple of nice added features (the daily streak counter being my favorite) and a boatload of preset courses you can choose from (here). You can also make your own sets, of course.
It's a good web site, I like it :) There's just nothing very good there for Finnish grammar.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #342 on: June 13, 2017, 12:02:59 AM »
It's called Memrise! Pretty standard as far as flash-card-based review websites go, but it does have a couple of nice added features (the daily streak counter being my favorite) and a boatload of preset courses you can choose from (here). You can also make your own sets, of course.
It's a good web site, I like it :) There's just nothing very good there for Finnish grammar.

Thanks! It looks like it's be a good site for reviewing my Spanish too - I've got a final coming up. :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
On Learning Finnish
« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2020, 06:37:47 AM »
Hello, all! Gods has it been a while...
I thought I might supplement some of my pre-existing linguistics by actually sitting down and learning Finnish. According to the site I’m using I’ve learned about five hundred words already, which is pretty darn good, but, well, start early...are there any beginner’s books that might be recommended?
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: On Learning Finnish
« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2020, 07:55:52 AM »
Do you mean like school books meant for adults learning Finnish, or children’s books?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.