Author Topic: Improvement  (Read 292 times)

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/She/Her
Improvement
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »
While we, of course, haven't seen the finished game, not even near to a demo, there are still a lot of possibly upcoming changes that should be talked about. Here's a place for disqussing what changes that may come that you think will make the game better.
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Re: Improvement
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
Randomized order of attack
An idea taken from Darkest Dungeon (though I'm sure it's not the only rpg to use it). While the part of combat where you pick moves is very engaging, and makes you feel like a master strategist (or worthless hunk of trash), the part where the enemy attacks, especially if you're facing a group, will inevitably feel like you're sitting ducks, unless, like undertale, you can actively avoid attacks.
If the order of attacks are randomized (or, at least, made through an unpredictable formula), it will make the game a lot harder, but also more fun. You won't be sitting ducks when your enemy attacks, rather there'll be a chance to retaliate. Say that the far right and middle snow spider attacks first. You will have taken a fair bit of damage, maybe even lost a character, but you will have three (or four) chances to retaliate and heal, while the spiders will only have one.
Take a look at this Darkest Dungeon battle
/>The combination of short turns for the enemy and randomized attacks makes it quick and engaging all the way through

Windfighter

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
I have no idea what happened in that video, it looked like they took turns to bite at each other and then I got bored sorry :$

In my humble opinion I think I prefer turn-based battles. Otherwises there's usually too much stuff going on at once for me and I end up just pressing X all the time and then I die and never play the game again. But I'm also a very casual/bad gamer so my opinion probably doesn't count as much.

anyway if it's gonna be a lot like "press circle at a specific time to block an incoming attack" and then "press triangle after a successful block to attack back" I'll go look for another game to play xD
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
In my humble opinion I think I prefer turn-based battles.

You clearly didn't write my post. I said the game should not only have turn based combat, but randomized turns. Not just "Lalli goes, Mikkel goes, Reynir goes, Sigrun goes, then monsters go".
It should be more like "Monster go, player goes, player goes, monster goes, player goes, monster goes, player goes, monster goes"

Windfighter

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »
You clearly didn't write my post. I said the game should not only have turn based combat, but randomized turns. Not just "Lalli goes, Mikkel goes, Reynir goes, Sigrun goes, then monsters go".
It should be more like "Monster go, player goes, player goes, monster goes, player goes, monster goes, player goes, monster goes"

...of course I didn't write your post? I apologize that I apparently did not understand what you were trying to say though. I guess the "randomized turns" confused me, because my experiences with turn based combat is Final Fantasy (and the pokemon games but those are one on one so let's not count them) in which your turns are somewhat determined by speed so it often is "player character goes, monster goes, player character goes, player character goes, monster goes" and it can be changed using certain moves (which I of course always forget about). I think it was the word "retaliate" that confused me and once again I apologize for that. I thought you meant that it someone get attacked they suddenly get their turn so they can do a counterattack or something. That plus the "You can activately avoid attacks". I thought you meant it should be more like real-time battle instead of turned based.

Again, sorry I missunderstood. I bow my head to your superior intelligence and retake my previous statement. You are of course correct on this matter ♥
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:06:11 PM by Windfighter »
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Grade E cat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

Just a  little tip in case you missed the mistake: I think the word you were looking for may have been "read" not "write".
Note to self: I live in France and go to bed early, I do NOT get time zone induced early updates
Native: :france:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :usa:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :spain:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :japan:
Tried, but gave up: :germany:

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
Just a  little tip in case you missed the mistake: I think the word you were looking for may have been "read" not "write".

Yeah, my mistake