Author Topic: SSSS Fic ideas [general repository]  (Read 12550 times)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: SSSS Fic ideas [general repository]
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2020, 02:48:03 AM »
Wait

O_O
What?
You're kidding, one of mine, recommended on TV Tropes?   O_O O_O
But, from memory, the superpowers in that one were merely extensions of abilities in non-immune mages, and therefore only Reynir and Onni (and a handful of SSSSonae and OCs) had them, not the crew as a whole.  I thought of it more as a took-a-different-fork-in-the-road story.

Strictly speaking, it means a SSSS fan with an account considers it a must-read for people who want to look into SSSS fanfic. But still, thanks to me putting up a personal favorite and some of the popular newer ones that I happened to like, it's up there with The Kasvatus Series and when there's fire in my woods it burns me and nobody else.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2020, 06:19:12 AM »
My Character Map suggests it's Alt+0229

Huh, that seems to not work for me, at least not on the forum. But on Word alt+ctrl+^+a works: å
I guess copying it in is a solution too...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
That’s what I do with Icelandic characters. On Word you can use “insert symbol” where you can find what you are looking for without knowing the codes.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
That’s what I do with Icelandic characters. On Word you can use “insert symbol” where you can find what you are looking for without knowing the codes.

Yeah that´s where I found it. When you go to the symbol, it also shows which code you can use.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

lumilaulu

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »
I've set up the language toolbar on the taskbar so that I can easily switch to a different keyboard if I want to write in a language with some different letters. Currently I have Swedish, Norwegian, Czech, Icelandic. I find this far easier than always copypasting or trying to remember the right codes for the letters I want.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2020, 04:46:49 AM »
I've set up the language toolbar on the taskbar so that I can easily switch to a different keyboard if I want to write in a language with some different letters. Currently I have Swedish, Norwegian, Czech, Icelandic. I find this far easier than always copypasting or trying to remember the right codes for the letters I want.
You might find the X11 (as in, Linux, BSDs, etc.) concept of "Compose Key" (actually left-Shift+right-Ctrl for me) interesting, then, as it works mostly along visual likenesses:

CK, a, * = å
CK, a, e = æ
CK, o, ´ = ó
CK, c, , = ç
CK, e, ^ = ê

... though not always; CK, d, h = ð / CK, T, H = Þ / CK, s, s = ß etc. are based on the character's history.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »
Mikkel can walk on water.

Big deal. Everyone can do it... you just need to wait for the water to freeze over first. (And make sure the ice is thick enough)  :))
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
Fist post updated to include new ideas, and the link to euseevius story based off wavewright's idea.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2021, 02:47:35 PM »
A sketch of a ballroom scene.

Have some great ball (the party kind), with those rigid formal rules, and the team attend it. To the sound of austrian music (Strauss, Zeller, ... no idea). Dresses, tailcoats. The dances construed such that sometimes they dance in groups, sometimes in pairs. Sometimes mostly M/F pairs, sometimes mostly M/M & F/F pairs. Sometimes some kind of "permutation dance" which somehow makes every possible pairing happen if danced long enough.

Lalli trying to mostly stick to the people he knows, slightly uncomfortable. Emil, sparkling about. Mikkel being all gentlemanly, sometimes making fun of people in front of them without them noticing. Sigrun, whose dress is on the slighly "wilder" side. (i.e. her dress is 5 cm shorter than those of other women. Kidding.) Reynir, with his braid that swings about with every step & turn. (I can imagine some young women fawning over him, then Reynir giving Onni (or someone else?) a kiss (if we want to invoke that ship) and the women being all upset about it.) Onni maybe having much more trouble to "let himself go" than his cousin, but trying very hard to keep up his façade.

Maybe, just maybe, the quartet is also present. Maybe it’s some royal ball and there are some giving "royal blessings" to the team (useful items for their travels, or just magical kisses) or some orders of merit or whatevs. I couldn’t find a lot of info in the forum, whether there are still monarchs around, or whether they died out, got degraded, ... Maybe it’s just an AU, maybe some romantic fairy-tale AU.

I actually have very little experience with dancing and parties or otherwise knowledge about balls. So if I write about this, I’d probably try to generously skip over the details. And/or research about balls and dancing.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2021, 06:39:24 PM »
Groupoid, several of the writers have already played with that idea, and another such story would be fun. Do write it. Kiraly wrote a sweet one, I think it was called ‘Last First Impressions’, in which Emil, who more than the others is familiar with high society, is fussing about trying to get all the others suitably arrayed and instructed for just such a ball. That story is on Archive. It’s sweet, and good fun.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2021, 03:21:00 AM »
What happened in SSSSverse is definetely an apocalypse. A lot of mythologies have a big part of them about apocalypse. SSSSverse is densly connected to mythology. So:
What about celestials? Are they confused by the fact that apocalypse gone not according to their plans?
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2021, 04:03:17 PM »
Thanks Roísín for the story reference. It’s a nice one, there are quite a few good laughs and chuckles in it. (Last First Impressions by Kiraly)
And it’s nice to know about similar works. I didn’t consider Emil’s upper-class upbringing. A post-mission ball or social event is a relatively "obvious" theme, now that you mention it. I already read the stories where the teams get late with their preparations for the ball.
Ah! I think it’ll be fun to put my own spin on it. And somehow I think that it’ll be a challenge. *breath* But there’s no need to pressure myself too much.

Maglor: That’s a nice idea. I’d love to read that.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »

What about celestials? Are they confused by the fact that apocalypse gone not according to their plans?

They may well be... https://archiveofourown.org/works/27689519/chapters/67763825#workskin
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

ScrimmyBingusPSVitaPort

• Will probably post art here one day
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »
Alright so a couple of nights ago I had a really entertaining dream with some characters from SSSS specifically, and I felt like the people of the forum would most appreciate my REM ramblings.

[DISCLAIMER: As this story came from a dream, it will be at least a little OOC and incoherent, also it's probably more action heavy than most SSSS fic ideas]

Without further ado, let us begin.
So the story begins with someone reinventing a bi-plane. One way or another, Sigrun and Mikkel use it to go on an adventure far away (my dream did not come up with a reason as to why they didn't just fly somewhere closer). They end up somewhere tropical (I'm assuming Brazil because I've had Brazilian memes on my mind recently). Because of the heat and humidity, the local trolls(or whatever they're called) grow to kaiju size. I don't know how they land (or even survive this journey tbh) but i do know that they have to shoot at a kaiju troll at least once with the spitfire of the bi-plane. There is also another fight scene (probably the climax) where Sigrun is all alone and has to hack, slash, and shoot her way out; it was very gratuitous and very cool looking. There were also some chill scenes at a makeshift campground high up in an abandoned skyscraper that I unfortunately can't remember more clearly. I'm pretty sure there was also a third character that was involved in this but I cannot remember who it's supposed to be, my brain could've been trying to make an OC that saves the duo's butts when they first arrive for all I know. Apparently the ending to this story is anticlimactic, I don't remember any details, just that I thought it was pretty underwhelming compared to the rest of it
BONUS: I remember a few visual details too! My dream mainly conjured this up in comic form so that's how I'll describe some of this. The pages where the bi-plane first took off were really awe-inspiring and used a lot of blues and whites to contrast against the warmly colored plane and the people in it. When they arrived in the new destination, the various trees used really vibrant green tones. (but not neon). Last but not least IMO, but I vividly remember Sigrun having remarkably defined biceps.
I'm starting to think that my subconscious wanted her to do more in adventure 2...

That's nice to have off my chest! I hope you guys had a fun time reading this as I did dreaming it lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 02:52:21 PM by ScrimmyBingusPSVitaPort »

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »
Some fic ideas I've had, starting with nations:

Do Norway, Sweden, and Finland still exist in Y90?  There would still be Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish speakers, but there would be no one left who really remembered what it was like to live in a unified nation of millions of inhabitants; most would know only their own fortified villages, or those close enough to reach by short sea voyages, though there would still be some older people (like Trond) who heard about nations from parents or grandparents.  With no remote communication technology and all travel being dangerous, I think nations might well fall apart.

Sweden is the most unified of the three; 3/4 of the population lives in "Mora", which I assume means Mora plus various farming villages around it.  If you add up the populations of the four largest cities, you get 18,550, leaving 2,350 Swedes who live in villages smaller than Lulea with a population of 350.  I wonder how much attachment those villagers feel to Mora or the old nation of Sweden, given they had to run things for themselves for years or decades with no help or contact from outside.

In Finland, half the population lives on islands in the lake Saimaa.  Finland has 7,700 of 10,500 in its four biggest cities, leaving 2,800 in villages smaller than 600.  Again, how attached are those people to the capital city or the nation of Finland?

The most interesting to me is Norway.  8,150 out of 15,100 live in four cities.  That leaves almost 7,000 in smaller towns and villages.  Those could be a little larger than in Sweden and Finland, as they only have to be smaller than 1,100.  But Norway has two large cities, Aurland at 3,600 and Leikanger at 2,200; Aurland is the capital, but is Leikanger happy about that?  Even Dalsnes, at 1,250 but with its troll-hunter clan, might want to challenge Aurland for the lead.

Anyway, I can imagine stories about people in some of these smaller communities: maybe they're even now just being brought back into contact.

Maybe there are people trying to hold the nations together, and meeting either active or passive resistance.

Might there be judges "riding the circuit" to the small towns?  (This used to be the case in America.)  How much authority do people grant them, and why?

Has Christianity really disappeared everywhere, or are some of those little villages Christian communities or communities of other faiths?