Author Topic: City of Hunger Speculation  (Read 2071 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Mostly lurking, but still here.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
City of Hunger Speculation
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that this thread doesn't exist yet, so here goes! We know that City of Hunger will be set "in a futuristic world on a faraway icy planet", but not much else. What might await us in this alternate universe? Answer below!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *slides NASA $10* So, tell me about the aliens.
Re: City of Hunger Speculation
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
I kinda have it feeling that it will be Treasure Planet-ish. I'm not sure, just a hunch.
Fluent: :usa:
Learning:  :sweden: :spain:
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
in the discord chat we had many speculations already, mostly started by me.

like We have not seen Tuuri and see just made a version why Tuuri did not appear yet at all. but my fun joke idea is probably not something that will happen

Spoiler: Why Tuuri is not there yet • show

The random idea was that Tuuri is gone missing, and Onni and Lalli hires a small group to find her out of the frozen wildness. Lalli joins the expedition.

------

Some star wars joke came after the small update with Mikkel and Sigrun talk in game

Spoiler: nsfw-ish? • show

Sigrun got permission that is Mikkel can't get up and go by himself, they can leave him behind. and this made me the idea, if they just use Mikkel to keep warm until the help comes, like in Star wars, Han solo used the animal's body to keep Luke warm.
Maybe Mikkel is not that big but for a thin person,w ho has no body fat to keep themselves warm, ti could be helpful a bit. so Lalli can be saved a bit.

--------

Some more realistic speculations.... well, using the actual facts and mentioning them:

that Reynir is a real medic this time, and Mikkel is not, which is actually said by Minna. this explains why Mikkel was bad at healing in the really early previews for the game.
So why Reynir is a Medic? I thought maybe since the game is called city is hunger, probably they have no sheep to take care of (if there was, there was no hunger in the city?) and since mages are also healers, Reynir is a mage, so he is a healer/medic here.

-----

Also we were talking if there will be any kind of shipping in the game. not like canon ship, but we can make the character get closer by making them talk more and then gain some relationship-points and relationship-level up and such, so many games has this, and it could be a little cool as random not-important side in the story, because so many of us likes shipping and here you could do anything you want, nothing is canon, but in your gameplay, it is your canon version. and for those, who does not like shipping, they does not need to do any of these.
and when I talk about shipping, I am not meaning they fell in love with the other, just become good friends, or maybe love, if Minna wants to make it that deep, but I think make the friendship stronger between them how we want, would be really cool.

---------

well, I don't remember anything else at the moment, if you want to discuss, you can join us on the discord, we have a channel for that.

can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

JacobThomsen

• Ranger
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »
I curious what role Onni will have in this universe, will he still just be an important side character or will he have a more central role, and is he even still in family with Tuuri and Lalli.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:05:02 PM by JacobThomsen »
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Understand: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »
I curious what role Onni will have in this universe, will he still just be an important side character or will have a more central role, and is he even still in family with Tuuri and Lalli.

that's good question
if she keeps same characters, maybe the group will be same, so Onni is not part of the member, but he is in the game already appearing, so he will be in it, probably only as a sidecharacter, but who knows

What is Tuuri is replayed by onni in the grew?

can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

JoB

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
What might await us in this alternate universe?
Well, we've been told that this world "exports crime lords". I don't think that Minna will risk getting her cast "burnt" by having their alignment changed in the game, so we can assume that the mob will replace the grosslings as the ubiquitous threat. And with the title, letting their opponents starve (and keeping opportunities to go off-world under tight control) likely is their MO. So, I guess the gamers will have to find food all the time, instead of energy/healing. Or maybe energy as well, so as not to turn into an icicle.
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
Well, we've been told that this world "exports crime lords". I don't think that Minna will risk getting her cast "burnt" by having their alignment changed in the game, so we can assume that the mob will replace the grosslings as the ubiquitous threat.

Hm, that's an interesting possibility. I wonder, though, if we won't see some sort of supernatural-ish (or sf-style supernatural) enemy as well, seeing how the supernatural is a huge part of the comic. Perhaps two groups of enemies, the mob and the alternative-grosslings, with the latter outnumbering the former as the situation deteriorates (because considering the dialogue in the last update, it seems it will deteriorate).

The random idea was that Tuuri is gone missing, and Onni and Lalli hires a small group to find her out of the frozen wildness. Lalli joins the expedition.

That sounds pretty probable to me - it would explain why anyone would want to travel to this frozen hell of a planet. The one problem I can see with this idea is that in one of the first updates, Emil's text box said that he wants to talk to Lalli because he's the only person of his age around here, so they probably didn't meet on a job.

I wonder how they'll all find themselves on the planet, though. My current ideas are that either they're looking for something (maybe a missing person), they've only meant to stop briefly but something prevented them from leaving (maybe their ship needed repairs but some gang took over the spaceport? Or it's left unexplained, only to later reveal the supernatural element), or their ship ended up crashing on the planet, which for one reason or another is cut off from the rest of the galaxy (no ship arriving for few more weeks, or gang takeover, or supernatural).
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 03:46:48 PM »
That sounds pretty probable to me - it would explain why anyone would want to travel to this frozen hell of a planet. The one problem I can see with this idea is that in one of the first updates, Emil's text box said that he wants to talk to Lalli because he's the only person of his age around here, so they probably didn't meet on a job.

it could be before they team up anyway, Emil is out of job, walks around and sees Lalli
While Lalli and Onni are about to go somewhere, because it seems like they are standing in like for something... like ticket

wild guesses.

bus still it is the best question, why they would send people out to die.
in ssss they went for old books, but in this case, maybe they need to find something deep under ice? like looking for books? this is also a really impossible mission, so only these six will join in.

or what is only 5 joins and one just... gets lost?
probably it won't be same like this, but fun to thing about it, like there is 5 of them, about to leave, or leave the not-that-icy area, and there out they meet one survivor of a tiny group, who went out for some personal reason? (hunting? if anything lives outside) and they get that person into the group

JoB

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
I wonder, though, if we won't see some sort of supernatural-ish (or sf-style supernatural) enemy as well, seeing how the supernatural is a huge part of the comic.
(In the meantime, Minna commented that there will be "no magic" in the game - which I assume is roughly what you meant with "non-SF supernatural" - but yes, advanced alien species will appear. Not just as background decoration for space flight scenes, I presume. :P )
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 06:07:26 AM »
(In the meantime, Minna commented that there will be "no magic" in the game - which I assume is roughly what you meant with "non-SF supernatural" - but yes, advanced alien species will appear. Not just as background decoration for space flight scenes, I presume. :P )

Oh, I must've missed that. Thanks!
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »
Here's the response to the question if magic is still a thing in this sci-fi world.
"No" in the traditional way, but "yes" in a mysterious-alien-forces way, and a little bit in an advanced-not-100%-realistic-technology way. So people won't be casting spells, no.
Link to it.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:
:book3:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: I don't even know anymore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
"faraway icy planet"
It'll take place on Pluto, Enceladus, Eris, Europa, or Triton. I know next to nothing about astronomy, I just used this
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :usa: | Conversational(?): :spain: | Attempting to teach myself: :germany:, :russia:, :japan:, :southkorea: | Want to learn: :wales:, :norway:, :finland:, :czech:, :france:, :poland:, :sweden:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
It'll take place on Pluto, Enceladus, Eris, Europa, or Triton. I know next to nothing about astronomy, I just used this

Well, it has a volcano, so Enceladus or Triton are your likely bets for having at least some geologic activity.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Luth Nightbreeze

• Skald
    • DeviantArt
  • Treat the unknown with curiosity
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

Or of course it could be a fictional planet altogether. It's futuristic science-fi, could basically be anywhere in the universe (depending on the technological level of human civilization of course.)

:chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:
:chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17:
Speaks: :canada: Can sing, apparently: :norway: Learning in school: :spain: Wishlist: :finland: :iceland:
Proud Admiral of the Aurora

JoB

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 07:43:51 AM »
It'll take place on Pluto, Enceladus, Eris, Europa, or Triton.
Hmmm, I don't think so. A planet(!) that "exports crime lords" should be far enough from the mainstream society it exports them to so as to be out of radar and radio range. Would make it a bit difficult to have the announced aliens around, too ...