Author Topic: WIP Me into Finishing This Art  (Read 6934 times)

catbirds

Re: WIP Me into Finishing This Art
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
Wow! You've done a pretty good job at making these people look like they're in motion! And it looks like the tutorial worked well for you, too! The colours are so intenseā€¦ O_O

Keep going :) I think it'll get somewhere good once you finish it and make a background. If you want, you can try to add tiny hints of texture just to finish it off

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2021, 01:53:23 AM »
Wow! You've done a pretty good job at making these people look like they're in motion! And it looks like the tutorial worked well for you, too! The colours are so intenseā€¦ O_O

Keep going :) I think it'll get somewhere good once you finish it and make a background. If you want, you can try to add tiny hints of texture just to finish it off

thank you <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
texture on background methinks

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

Kitty

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • blueberry juice
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »
some dark arts are indeed at work

rocc, rocc is cool

Native: :hr:
Fluent: :gb: :us: :ba: :rs:
Can kinda understand but not really: :si:
Not really: :de:

MollyVampiric

• I'm always up too late, don't worry
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her, with love
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2021, 11:34:51 PM »
I'm trying to learn backgrounds a bit more. This is my first sketch attempt of a new scene (with a couple pngs of graffiti and blood splatter to help me get the idea), but it feels kinda off? Any tips?

Spoiler: show
Constructive criticism is highly appreciated! <3

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2021, 03:41:36 AM »
I'm trying to learn backgrounds a bit more. This is my first sketch attempt of a new scene (with a couple pngs of graffiti and blood splatter to help me get the idea), but it feels kinda off? Any tips?
Not sure that this is what you meant to hear, but here goes ...
Spoiler: show

Nothing definitely wrong with it, as far as I can see. The two things that may confuse the audience are a) the snow(?) on the ground, and b) the outline of the building behind the dumpster.

ad a) It's unusual that the ground is much brighter than the walls around, but that is what (fresh) snow does, given enough ambient light. Which means that the walls around are either quite high, or should get noticeably brighter lit towards their upper ends.

ad b) At first glance, the vertical lines and the edge of the snow on the ground strongly suggest that the building has a protrusion there, like an outward vertical cable or ventilation shaft. But the edge of the snow is around the dumpster(?), not the building itself, which actually has an entirely flat surface AFAICT. If so, you might want to remove the vertical line that intersects the right edge of the dumpster lid (and the change of the background color aligned with it) to remove the confusion.

I'm unclear whether the background end of that alleyway is entirely closed or not. If it is, the guy with the weapon(?) is standing literally with his back against the wall of an impasse, an unusual position to take in a fight. I'd assume that part of what the fight was about was to get to the dumpster and retrieve something from it. (Hence the open lid. And that he's still standing there because, after making his way to it through his opponent, he failed to find what he was looking for and is a bit confused right now.)

Random ramblings:
If the circle (window?) is indeed meant to be a circle, I think that the angle in which we're looking at it should make it appear a bit more elliptic (narrower) still.
The weather in that place has enough humidity to warrant putting even a back alley(?) door up atop a couple steps, but not enough rain to warrant a matching awning.
Given the stair-rails, I'd expect the door to open outwards, even if building regulations happen not to mandate so. Which means that it hasn't been opened recently (or else the snow would've been swept off the topmost step). Locked, and thus completing the dead end?

Spoiler: edit to add • show

There's snow on the stairs, and what I take as an outline to put some half-slid-off snow on the dumpster lid, but of course there should be some on the rails and any window sills, too. I presume you haven't gotten a round tuit, though ...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:45:34 AM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

crowbarrd

• an abundance of exclamation marks
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »
It remains a WIP partly because I'm busy with exams, partly because I'm a little stumped on how to proceed. Hopefully I'll have more time to figure this out after exams (??)

Spoiler: wip • show
muddling around and drawing