Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 34516 times)

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »
This doesn't look like an echeveria after all XD
Does someone know what it is?
I see two babies that are about half a centimeter each, and the mother leaf is already turning yellow... I hope that maybe in a month I'll be able to cut it out? I heard in a tutorial that it helps the babies grow faster, since the roots don't need to keep the leaf alive anymore...

Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Antillanka, I have No. Clue.

In other news, how can I possibly have managed to not only kill our horseradish patch, but also munt it so badly the cuttings we got from a friend in Auckland have failed to grow?  Horseradish is supposed to be unkillable?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2018, 06:55:09 AM »
 Antillanka: Might still be an Echeveria - many of those can have that jelly-bean look when they are babies. Or even more likely, one of the hybrids such as Graptoveria? Do you know what the flowers look like on the adult plant?

Wavewright: Is it still winter where you are? If so, the leaves of your horseradish may just have died right back from frost, and will revive in Spring. Or a combination of a bad frost and very soggy ground may cause the roots to freeze, split and rot. Mine is still dormant after a cold winter. If a week of warm weather doesn't bring it back up, try digging very gently around the roots to see if they are still there and showing any new buds on the root crowns. If so, the plants will be okay. Do you have any local critters that might eat the roots? We have lawn grubs and bandicoots here.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »
Róisín: Yes!! The mother looked pretty much like this one:

I didn't see it in bloom, so no idea what the flower looks like, but if everything goes right and mine ever have flowers, I'll make sure to send you a picture  ^-^
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Róisín

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »
Antillanka: yep, that looks like a Graptoveria, a hybrid of Echeveria and Graptopetalum. Pretty!

Wavewright: my horseradish put up its first leaf today. I'm about to go and water it, because it is uncommonly dry with us for the season, though we have had an unusually cold spring. Cold, clear and dry means more and worse frosts. I have a bad feeling about the coming bushfire season this year, so am trying to keep things trimmed back, well weeded, mulched and moist.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
Wavewright: my horseradish put up its first leaf today. I'm about to go and water it, because it is uncommonly dry with us for the season, though we have had an unusually cold spring. Cold, clear and dry means more and worse frosts. I have a bad feeling about the coming bushfire season this year, so am trying to keep things trimmed back, well weeded, mulched and moist.
I finally got about a dozen itty-bitty leaves coming up this past week, whew!
Spring garden time this weekend, with most of yesterday spent harvesting the winter garden and cleaning up the beds. (Anyone want to come pick up a pottle of mixed greens sauce for making palak? I have....a few.)
Digging out the bottom layer of the compost pile today to mix into the newly vacated beds.   Better get onto it.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2018, 01:44:02 AM »
Antillanka: that is a pretty plant. Something you may find useful is a website called 'The Succulent Plants Page', which is an excellent resource for identifying succulents and learning to care for them. It gives botanical names which makes it easier to research the plants on other sites as well. I would put up a link, but I can't make it work.

Wavewright: I'm so glad that your horseradish has survived! Such a useful plant it is: tasty, good for stimulating the appetite and improving the flavour of food, antiscorbutic and one of the better herbal remedies for a range of respiratory problems. Did you know that the flowers and young leaves are also edible, as well as the more commonly used roots? They add a real zing when sprinkled over soups or added to a salad. Sort of like eating the flowers and baby leaves of wasabi, which I also enjoy, probably more than I do the roots.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2018, 04:44:02 AM »
I did not know that.  I know that my chooks were mad keen on the stuff, and managed to pretty much destroy a crop of the stuff the first summer we kept birds.  They would climb onto the fence until it was sagging over the plants, strip all the leaves and dig to eat the root as well!  They did the same to rhubarb, whenever they could make a breach in the fence - they would bypass all number of tender crops to get back to the rhubarb.

Róisín

« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2018, 07:42:10 AM »
My chooks and ducks are in a wire-enclosed area the size of a large room for that reason as well as to protect them from being eaten by eagles, quolls, foxes and feral cats. They can be a real pest in the vegetable garden. They don't miss out on too much - I throw my weeds in to them, and there are several fruit trees in their enclosure.

Two delights in the garden today - first open flower on the white rock-rose, and first buds bursting on the purple lilac. The flower bunches I do for the Farmer's Market will be beautifully scented this week!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:22:08 AM by Róisín »

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2018, 12:03:38 PM »
I love reading about your season ramping up as mine is winding down.

I'm down to one market instead of two, and the remaining one closes the end of this month. I don't have enough produce for a winter market this year, though the second market may have one if they can find a good location. Last thing left on the planting list is the garlic, and the soil's way too soggy to prepare, with no good dry spell in the current forecast; but it's too soon to panic about that, I generally aim for late October and up to midNovember will do fairly well in this location, especially with the warming climate.

Róisín

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
If the soil is too soggy for garlic I generally plant it in a raised bed or in big foam boxes, which keeps it from rotting. Not often a problem here.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2018, 10:44:33 PM »
I'm intending to plant it in raised beds. Soil has to dry out enough for me to make the beds, though. There's a lot of clay in this soil, and while it's nice and fertile and holds moisture well if you're careful with it, if you work it too wet it can turn into clay pots and seal up all your crop roots.

The original theory was to make the beds earlier in the year and throw on some cover crop that's easy to either work in or pull out (buckwheat probably), but other things got in the way -- including soggy soil a lot of the rest of the year, also.

-- foam boxes? how many, what size, what kind of foam? what do you fill them with? how is that easier to accomplish than raised beds without boxes?

Róisín

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2018, 01:01:11 AM »
thorny, when I say foam boxes, I mean the kind of insulated foam box in which farmers ship broccoli heads to market, about 1metre long, half metre wide and deep. One of the other stallholders at the market has a lot spare, because he can't use them to ship veges to market if they are at all damaged or have lost their lids. I fill them up with a mix of potting soil and compost and use them, not in a box but freestanding, to grow small fast crops of stuff like lettuce, radishes, spinach or garlic. He often has more to give away than I can use, so I pass them on to the Community Garden, local schools, and to people trying to grow a few herbs or veges on a balcony or in a courtyard. Very handy for folk who haven't space for a proper garden.

If the crop needs drainage I poke holes in the bottom, or leave the boxes intact for propagating water plants or growing cress and miner's lettuce. I have also used them for propagating water lilies, and indeed have grown water lilies in an old esky (an esky, in Australia, is what I think would be a beer cooler to Americans).

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »
Any thoughts on the impact of using plastic in gardening (especially things like foam, that easily rip into particles)? I normally try to use containers made from biodegradable/"natural" materials as much as I can, or at least durable plastic.

Róisín

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »
Plastic - would prefer not to use it, but sometimes it is all there is to use. Part of the problem with gardening on an extreme budget is that the good-quality materials are often out of reach. So I try to choose foam containers that are not too degraded, and while I grow some food crops in them, they are the ones like watercress, miner's lettuce and regular lettuce that have a very short growing time and shallow roots. Ceramic containers would be nicer, but they can cost hundreds of dollars, which I, and many others, can't afford. So apart from what is in the actual garden (mostly perennial crops, fruit trees and root crops), and the water plants growing in foam boxes, I have stuff like water lilies, lotuses, Typha, weaving rushes, nardoo and water irises growing in old bathtubs and an old laboratory sink. Our community garden grows water lilies in a recycled spa tub, and uses several old fridges for worm farms. Works for us.

The one that really worries me is the use of treated timber for making raised beds. Recycling wood such as vineyard posts for anything except raising structures from the ground is a bad idea - many of the anti rot and anti termite chemicals used on such things are very poisonous, and can leach into the soil.