Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 33808 times)

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
An alternative to this is mulching - cover the soil with something like dead leaves or pieces of bark or some other natural material that doesn't decompose too fast. The advantage is it's instant and guaranteed to work. I do this for the plants I keep on my very sunny balcony.
Does it work indoors? I thought about it before, but ruled it out since there aren't any bugs or worms in the pots that could actually help decomposition. I'm a bit worried it will just start to smell and attract insects.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
Does it work indoors? I thought about it before, but ruled it out since there aren't any bugs or worms in the pots that could actually help decomposition. I'm a bit worried it will just start to smell and attract insects.

Well, you can give it a try and see for yourself what happens. If anything bad happens, just remove the covering.

I don't intentionally mulch indoor pots, but I do put dead leaves back in pots where they originated, so ... it's kinda the same? It doesn't smell. Not sure about attracting insects - I sometimes see very small, harmless insects in my room (makes sense since I keep my window/balcony door open 24/7 during warm months and I have plants on the balcony). I don't worry about those. The only cause of alarm would be actual pests (like ants or cockroaches) but I've never had them.

I should say I'm no skilled gardener or anything - I've just liked to grow plants since I was a kid and I experiment with everything and learn as I go. I may be unaware of potential problems with this, but so far I haven't had any.

Edit: the one possible problem I see is mould appearing on the ground if you water too much. If you do this, remember to water your plants a bit less.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:43:13 AM by Sc0ut »

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »
Sc0ut is right about the mulch. For succulents or other plants that like dryish soil, you could also use a pebble mulch, which has the advantage of looking decorative, if the plant is in an area where people may be bothered by the sight of anything so rustic as mulch. Or you could combine both methods, and plant something small and spreading among the mulch or pebbles, which I think is the best solution. Try thymes or camomile for sunny areas (camomile also helps protect plants from fungal infections), or one of the low spreading verbenas, pennyroyal or one of the tiny low-growing mints if your potplant  is one that needs frequent water. One of my favourite groundcovers for pots is Creeping Toadflax, otherwise called Ivy-leaved Toadflax (Cymbalia muralis), with its tiny purple snapdragon flowers and edible leaves. It is not only edible and pretty, it's good for the plants, retaining water in the soil and exuding chemicals that stimulate healthy growth in other plants - a common nickname for it is the 'Plant Doctor'.

Keep your mulch a little bit away from the stems of your potplants so nothing rots or is abraded.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Gardening Thread
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
What soil are you using for the lavender? They like somewhat sandy soils to push their roots through properly. Adding some sand to planting soil (or gently fertilizing cacti soil) would be good for it. Putting it in a pot of regular store-bought flower soil, probably not so much.

Yeah, I just used potting soil. Thanks for the tip! I added some sand to it's soil yesterday morning, I'll keep an eye on how it goes.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
Sigh. We have strawberries on our balcony and have been away for two weeks. There are two large pots with 20 litre water reservoirs below them that usually are enough for one week. I had arranged for my mother to water them last weekend but forgot to stress that she had to fill them up and only mentioned in passing that they were reservoir/"self-watering" pots, so she only filled them a little since the plants seemed happy. This is what met me and I'm a angry with myself.

I will feel better after dinner.

Some of the strawberries were sweet, most were sour. And at least a few of the plants will survive but but they were so healthy when I left and would still have been had I left clearer instructions :-\

Róisín

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Eh, you'll know for next time! Trim off the dead leaves, water and mulch them, give them a feed of weak fertiliser (seaweed fertilisers like Seasol are good) and they should resprout from the roots. Strawberries are tougher than they look.

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
Gwenno, thank you! I searched through the dormant threads, but could not discover it. I'm afraid my gardening skills are better than my thread-necromancy skills.

Anent your rosemary: where is it growing? Out in the garden or inside? Rosemary is quite tolerant of both heat and cold (that's why you so often find it in Christmas decorations), but, like its relative lavender, it doesn't like humidity or full shade. My rosemary bushes do best in full sun, even in our horribly hot summers, being subject to moulds and other fungal diseases if it gets too cold, dark and wet.

The other thing rosemary likes is good air circulation, that is, having the air moving around its branches, to prevent the buildup of moisture. It also needs very good drainage; having standing water around the roots is certain to make it rot. Rosemary likes a slightly alkaline soil, so if your soil is acidic give it a sprinkle of lime. If the problem seems to be a mould or fungus, I'd say cut off the affected bits and dispose of them by burning or putting them in the rubbish, water it, including the foliage, with one part milk to four parts water (sounds weird but works), and if it is in a pot, move it to somewhere with lots of air and sun. There are commercial fungicides you can use, but many of those also kill the soil biota.

Which rosemary cultivar do you have? My hardiest ones are 'Blue Lagoon' which has large very dark blue flowers, a white-flowered form, the pink-flowered trailing form and 'Silver Laced' with its white-striped leaves and pale blue flowers, all of which are fairly modern cultivars developed within the last few centuries, and another unnamed one which I grew from a cutting of the rosemary hedge along the driveway at Cave House, taken when I lived there about twenty years ago. Those five grow in shallow sandy/gravelly soil, right out in the open, exposed to frost and blazing sun, and they do fine. The one from Cave House is particularly tough, when I came there it was growing as a long hedge along the drive, exposed to all weathers on a very windy hilltop, and had been completely neglected for at least twenty years. The bushes were gnarly and twisted with weather, planted in gravel against an old stone wall, but only a few had died, and the scent and the flowers were amazing - our summer honey was always wonderful there.

I also have the cultivars 'Benenden Blue', which has very fine leaves and bright blue flowers, and 'Gold Laced' which has a pale blue flower and leaves with a gold stripe. Those two can tolerate part shade, one being on the eastern side of my house so it gets only morning sun, the other is under partial summer shade, growing between the jujube tree and the Early Settler peach, both of which are deciduous so it gets winter sun.

Thanks for the advice Róisín. Hmmmm, I think the problem is probably the humidity from what you've explained. Japan is very humid during the rainy season and that was around the time the problems started appearing. I've moved it outside. It will get less sun there (the outside area that counts as part of my flat gets little more than an hour or two of direct sunlight each day), but there will be more of a breeze at least. I've also been diligently cutting off and disposing of the affected parts of the plant, so hopefully, that will be enough to help. As for what kind of rosemary it is, I'm not sure. The label merely said "rosemary" as far as I can remember, although I may have missed something because it was all in Japanese. Thanks again and I'll update you on its fate!
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2017, 01:28:10 AM »
Thank you Róisín!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »
I'd like some advice on mildly poisonous plants. As I grew up, I learned that a few of the plants that grow locally, either wild or in gardens, can be poisonous, such as autumn crocus (colchicum) or rhododendron. But now, reading more about gardening and foraging, I am learning many more relatively common garden flowers are toxic, like iris, lily of the valley and azaleas. This is mildly discouraging especially from an urban gardener perspective - for instance, I got hold of some iris rhizomes yesterday and was planning to plant them around my building but I won't do it if I risk harming the children who live here. My question is - does anyone know cases of people (or pets) poisoned by common plants? How easy/common is it really for this to happen? Do you always check if a new plant is toxic before growing it? I know I will from now on, but I have been told I'm a bit overcautious with other things so... just wondering what other people do, and what the risks really are, I guess.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
How easy/common is it really for this to happen? Do you always check if a new plant is toxic before growing it?
Not a gardener, but:

Unsurprisingly, there are no plants that like getting eaten, so their majority is somewhere on the poison scale (from OH GOD RUN down to mere bitterns). Plants that are downright dangerous will usually come with explicit warnings - in the shop, in gardening books, in an Internet search, as long as you do a bit of checking for that aspect. (Same for invasiveness, BTW.) Note, however, that the sets of plants poisonous to humans/cats/dogs/... differ somewhat - which is why there are explicit "plants safe for your pet" lists as well.

[random example]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
JoB is right, you need specific lists for the animals you are worried about. Some animals have both sensitivities and tolerances very different to those of humans. The amount of spinach in a serving suitable for a human would severely damage a sheep; goats, geese and donkeys can tolerate doses of opium poppies that might kill a human, and we all know about dogs and onions or chocolate. Many dogs or cats which are raised indoors simply don't know about plants, and will eat anything. A friend's cat poisoned itself by gnawing on a Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily) grown as an indoor plant.

Knowing a bit of basic botany helps, even just enough to determine the family to which a plant belongs. For example, there are only a few poisonous plants in the Rosaceae, the Rose family, and those few are all easily identified, whereas with the Solanaceae (the tomato and tobacco family) you need to be very sure of your identification, because the family includes both edible and poisonous plants, plus some plants such as potatoes where some parts are edible (the tubers) and other parts can be poisonous ( the sweet and attractive fruits of potatoes and any green part). The Liliaceae family also needs caution - while some members such as onion, garlic and shallots are harmless, the bulbs of these may be confused with daffodils, jonquils, snowdrops and amaryllis which are very poisonous indeed. As a general rule, don't plant ornamental bulbs among your root vegetables.

The Euphorbiaceae (spurge family) produce a milky latex which can be an irritant poison and a local allergen both for humans and animals. Not all of this family are poisonous, but it's sensible to be careful around anything with milky sap until you know what it is. Speaking of allergens, many pets, like humans, have plant allergies, mostly skin reactions and hay fever, to plants including tradescantia and a number of grasses. The buttercup family (Ranunculaceae) also contains a number of garden ornamentals which are very poisonous, including larkspur, aconite and the hellebores.

And yeah, I do check each new unfamiliar plant, even though I am an old and experienced gardener, because I am a cautious person. That said, your Irises are unlikely to be a problem. Hopefully the local kids are unlikely to dig up the rhizomes and munch on them. They are woody and taste vile, and you need rather a lot to poison someone, unlike, say, oleander, daffodil bulbs, aconite or castor oil plant. I know someone who as a small child was poisoned by playing with castor beans and then sticking his fingers in his mouth - the seeds are shiny and pretty and his parents had no idea they were dangerous. He was very ill, and as a middle-aged man still has gut problems from the experience. So a degree of caution is warranted. But don't let it spoil your pleasure in gardening! Common sense is usually enough to keep you and yours safe. Basically the same rule I teach my foraging classes: if you don't know for certain sure that it is safe to eat, don't put it in your mouth!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »
Not a gardener, but:

Unsurprisingly, there are no plants that like getting eaten, so their majority is somewhere on the poison scale (from OH GOD RUN down to mere bitterns). Plants that are downright dangerous will usually come with explicit warnings - in the shop, in gardening books, in an Internet search, as long as you do a bit of checking for that aspect. (Same for invasiveness, BTW.) Note, however, that the sets of plants poisonous to humans/cats/dogs/... differ somewhat - which is why there are explicit "plants safe for your pet" lists as well.

[random example]

May surprise you that there are plants that like to get eaten - or at least parts of them. See this.

Simple bitterness is not poisoning, I am talking about effects that endanger one's health. Also for this specific question I don't consider poisonous those plants that harm you only when eaten in excessive amounts. I am talking about those where even small quantities are harmful. And guess what, these do not actually come with warnings in shops (at least where I'm from). Which is why I seek my information elsewhere, including here.

And yes, I have had pets and am well aware they tolerate different things according to species. Sorry, but is there really a point to your answer other than being incredibly pedantic?

Róisín: Thank you for the detailed answer! Of course I'm not going to eat random plants myself. Or stop gardening ;) I am just looking to avoid causing serious trouble for children and outdoor pets. I will continue to check each new plant I grow, following your example. As for the iris specifically, all sources I found say the leaves are also toxic, not just the rhizome. But it is reassuring to know that small quantities are not dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:56:13 PM by Sc0ut »

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
And yes, I have had pets and am well aware they tolerate different things according to species. Sorry, but is there really a point to your answer other than being incredibly pedantic?

I think that's a little harsh. There are lots of people who have no idea that plants can be poisonous to some mammals and not to others. How is JoB to know what you already know and what you don't?

I've met people who had no idea that there are poisonous plants at all. They weren't stupid; they were just city people who'd never eaten anything they hadn't bought at the store, or grown anything at all. There are undoubtedly things they thought of as basic knowledge about which I haven't even enough of a clue to know which questions to start asking.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
My question is - does anyone know cases of people (or pets) poisoned by common plants? How easy/common is it really for this to happen? Do you always check if a new plant is toxic before growing it? I know I will from now on, but I have been told I'm a bit overcautious with other things so... just wondering what other people do, and what the risks really are, I guess.

I'd say that some degree of caution is warranted. Many dogs I know have a habit of eating greenery: the dogs I had as a kid loved apples from the crabapple tree and plain old grass, respectively. And little kids will put anything in their mouths. That being said, most parents and pet owners are responsible enough to make their kids/pets spit out any mystery mouthfuls when they do try to eat it. Poisonings from plants where you need more than a few leaves/berries/etc. to feel the effects are pretty rare, as far as I can tell. If I were you, I'd only worry about avoiding the really toxic plants.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
I think that's a little harsh. There are lots of people who have no idea that plants can be poisonous to some mammals and not to others. How is JoB to know what you already know and what you don't?

I've met people who had no idea that there are poisonous plants at all. They weren't stupid; they were just city people who'd never eaten anything they hadn't bought at the store, or grown anything at all. There are undoubtedly things they thought of as basic knowledge about which I haven't even enough of a clue to know which questions to start asking.

Sure, there are people like that, and if this were a question in the General thread, maybe his response was warranted. But we are in the gardening thread now. In my comment, I explicitly said that I know some plants are toxic to people and animals, and that I am actively looking up information on them; implicitly, it's obvious I do gardening myself (as a hobbyist). And that is just information you can glean from that one comment, assuming nobody remembers me repeatedly talking about gardening in several threads in this forum over the years.

I dunno, maybe it was harsh, but I don't go to, say, the archery thread (a topic I know nothing about) and start listing basic facts when someone asks a question I can't answer. Additionally, some things JoB said are actually not true - poisonous plants are not sold with warnings in shops here, for instance.
None of these things are a big deal individually, but something about the combination and his slightly patronizing tone made me speak out. It's been a long day for me and that has added to it.