Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 33785 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
The Gardening Thread
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »
This is the all inclusive thread for flora and garden things! Feel free to post pictures, give advice, ask for help, get really excited about strange plants, and anything else that has to do with gardens and plant life!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »
Yay! Hooray! Thanks, Viola! This will be fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »
Many thanks for starting this topic, Viola!

Can I get some advice on planting potatoes in pots, please? Last year I planted a half dozen in one large pot, very late in the season (I only got them because the nursery was giving them away), and got about a dozen little tiny spuds, the largest of which was about 2 inches/5 cm long. I kept them to plant this year, but I'd like to get larger ones if I can.
The instructions with the nursery potatoes said to plant them 6in/15 cm deep, and keep the soil moist but not soggy; the potatoes should be harvested after the vines had died back. The vines grew quite well, but it got chilly for them before the tubers were fully grown, I think.

Róisín

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:36:48 AM »
Buteo: you will get better results from your spuds if you plant them early, and at least six inches/ around 15cm deep. The reason for this is that new tubers form above the seed tuber, and if these new tubers are exposed to sunlight they will go green, due to the formation of solanine which binds to the chlorophyll in most Solanaceae, and renders their green parts poisonous. These are still perfectly good for next year's seed, just don't eat them. As the haulm (the green part) grows, keep piling up mulch around it so only the top few inches stick up out of the mulch, and more tubers will form along the stem. Keep the soil moist but not wet. If it's too soggy you will get fungal and bacterial rots.

Feed potatoes with compost and seaweed extract, which will help to prevent many diseases. My Gran used to grow them in a bed piled high with a mix of straw and seaweed, just a bit of soil at the bottom, and she got beautiful clean potatoes.

If you need to grow them in pots, bigger pots are better. Put a few inches of soil at the base, lay the spuds on it, cover with compost, straw and seaweed mixed together. Water them in well and don't water again for a few days. Do you have Gro-bags in America? Basically big garbage-bag sized bags, hessian or heavy plastic with ventilation holes, same mix you use in pots. Or old styrofoam boxes, like the kind used to ship broccoli. All these, like pots, can be put on a sunny porch to give you a few weeks of early start on the growing season. Except in exceptionally hot weather, potatoes like full sun.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 03:20:58 AM »
Oooh I'm liking this thread already! Can't wait for the gardening season to really begin, if it would only stop snowing first. The growing season here is either really short or really long, all depending on how cold resistant plants we're talking about and how harsh the winter is, there's been a few with no snow at all and barely any frost but then there's also really harsh ones...
I want a greenhouse so I can grow my own bananas tomatoes (tomatoes could grow here climate-wise maybe-possibly, but the combination of heavy fruit and strong winds is not the best one).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:25:04 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 03:30:53 AM »
Laufey, I'm afraid the combination of greenhouses and flying rocks isn't a good one either ;D

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 04:21:43 AM »
Laufey, I'm afraid the combination of greenhouses and flying rocks isn't a good one either ;D

Valid point, better put it on the least windy side of the house.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 04:28:01 AM »
My greenhouses now are heavy plastic; glass didn't survive the last windstorm and the last housemove. You could also do perspex, or glass with heavy netting.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
Ooh, gardening! At school I can't have a garden, since I have no yard of any sort, but my mom has a garden back home! It's got a number of flowers in it, most notably beebalm and spider flowers. Both of those are really good at attracting butterflies and the occasional hummingbird, so there's always something pretty flying around. We also grow cherry tomatoes and a few types of herbs in pots on the porch. Talking about it now, I want to get home for the summer so I can see the flowers again!

Even though I can't have a garden at school, I do have a plant. I've named him Sonic.

He does pretty well on the windowsill, though at this point he needs a bigger pot!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
Apparently my father has taken it upon himself to kill all the plants in my room while I'm absent <.<'
He is the son of gardeners, but honestly, when it comes to things he doesn't want to eat, he is fairly useless. ::) His newest project are mushrooms, apparently. I'm sure he'd appreciate some tips on that. Has anyone ever grown any and can recommend something?

And also, does someone know a scent intensive, old rose variety that could be used as an ingredient in tea mixtures? Mainly for the taste and looks, I admit. I'd especially like to mix it with black tea. I have tried it with the blossoms form the rosebush we already have (also an old variety). That one's scent is sweet but rather faint and so was the taste. Also, it is getting a bit too shady for the poor dear's liking under the walnut and the lilac tree. It's too big to move (and the neighbours could see our sitting place if we did), so I don't want to be mean and rob it of its blossoms on top of that.

I only just noticed! Ana, from your avatar's hair Sonic looks like the perfect plant for you ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:44:51 AM by Asterales »
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Róisín

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »
Ana: your little friend looks like an Aloe? Spiky but useful, the gel in the leaves is good to apply to cuts, stings and minor burns. And the flowers are pretty. It will probably even survive living with students if it gets plenty of sun. If you need to repot, why not propagate and get several plants? Use a cactus and succulent potting mix, pull the clump apart, and plant each piece in its own pot. Water them in, though once the roots establish most Aloes like things fairly dry. Most Aloes also like full sun, but the variegated ones like yours are fine in half-shade.

Is it Melissa or Agastache you call Beebalm? Agastache has flowers like a sage, all sorts of colours (the two I have are purple and a sort of pinkish-orange), and a spicy smell. Melissa has a tiny flower like a mint, generally white, and smells like mint and lemons. Both of them make delicious herb teas, and as you say, they attract all kinds of pretties.

Asterales: what sort of mushrooms does your dad plan to grow?
Roses for perfume, tea and the like: try Mr. Lincoln, Papa Meilland, Reine des Violettes, Roseraie de la Haie, Damask rose, or the red Rugosas, which have the bonus of tasty and decorative rosehips.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 11:49:24 AM »
Róisín: Yes, my plant is an aloe! Not entirely sure what variety, but I chose it in part because of its likelihood to survive the dorm room experience! I have a big window, so it gets a good deal of sun. I was thinking of propagating it once I got home for the summer, actually, so thanks for the advice!

The beebalm I know is Monarda, according to a quick internet search. Though we used to have a big, bushy Agastache, which I called the butterfly bush! Unfortunately, it died about five years back. There are also smaller wild agastache plants which pop up in patches every year and likewise attract lots of insects.

Asterales: My dad once wanted to grow mushrooms, though he never followed through with it. I have no tips, but I look forward to hearing how this adventure plays out!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
Ah, common names! Have I mentioned that I love botanical names for just that reason? Far less confusion! Yes, Monarda didyma and its kin also get called beebalm, though I also know it as False Bergamot or American Horsemint. I grow it for the bees, and for herb tea.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
I'm loving this thread already! I don't have much of a green thumb, but I keep trying to learn about growing things. We have a couple of raised beds in our backyard that we share with our neighbors (which, practically speaking, has worked out to "the beds are in our half of the backyard but the neighbors do all of the work/eat most of the vegetables" because my housemates and I are a bit flaky about following through with plans to grow things). It's actually not a bad arrangement, because they'll bring us veggies if they have extra, and last summer I took care of the garden and the chickens while they were on vacation and we ended up with more tomatoes and zucchini than we could eat!

I'm considering another attempt at growing herbs in pots on the back deck this summer, because the ones I had a few years ago grew pretty well...I just didn't know when it was okay to harvest them, so they didn't get used well. Anyway, I'll definitely be following this thread with interest and may beg advice if I do manage to shake off my laziness and plant something. :)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
This thread is super neat!
For mushrooms, you can get spore kits online or you can fill a thin plastic bag (like bulk bags at the grocery store or newspaper bags) with dampish coffee grounds, cut some slits in one side, get oyster mushrooms from the store and put them (gills-down) over the slits until the spores come out, then leave them somewhere dark and water frequently.

We have a white Rugosa in our backyard, and it is definitely strongly scented (though a biiiiit stabby).
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: