Author Topic: Character Development: Sigrun  (Read 16350 times)

Richard Weir

• Scout
Character Development: Sigrun
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
So now we have met the brave self-opinionated Captain!

It is quite easy to see where she starts her journey of self-discovery from - she has a VERY high opinion of herself. Emil, by contrast, suffers from no more than a fragile go that needs bolstering with bluster. THIS lady looks like she has NO fragility!

Or has she? How is her character going to develop and be revealed?

This is the thread for us to map out her character development as we observe it.

EDIT: Typos.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:54:36 AM by Richard Weir »
My one-and-only: :uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Character Development: Sigrun
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »
Chapter 3 contained some foreshadowing about one of the team members being a person who has been fired a lot (we now know that is Mikkel) and the other one having some other issues. It will be interesting to see what this entails - although it's been heavily suggested that she is just too stupid to stay out of trouble.

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
I noticed hat Sigrun is said to only speak Norwegian... but from what she said to Lalli, it's clear that she's worked with Icelandic mages before... so... how did they communicate?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Mkvenner

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »
Well Minna did mention tha Sigrun will be a bit of a goofball and slightly accident prone when not in her area of expertise.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
I noticed hat Sigrun is said to only speak Norwegian... but from what she said to Lalli, it's clear that she's worked with Icelandic mages before... so... how did they communicate?

There are Norwegian mages who are trained in the "Seidr" brand of magic at the Icelandic mage academy. If she's been in the army her entire life she has most likely worked with some of them.

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
There are Norwegian mages who are trained in the "Seidr" brand of magic at the Icelandic mage academy. If she's been in the army her entire life she has most likely worked with some of them.
This.

Also, the book drive cover reveals her eyes to be purple.
See, I have this little "tally" that keeps confirming to me that a character in comics or animation who have purple irises almost always are good characters.
Be they cute, hilarious, badass, charming, whatever. They will always be good.

It totally does not have anything to do with purple being my favorite color alongside green. Nooot at all.

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
This.

Also, the book drive cover reveals her eyes to be purple.
See, I have this little "tally" that keeps confirming to me that a character in comics or animation who have purple irises almost always are good characters.
Be they cute, hilarious, badass, charming, whatever. They will always be good.

It totally does not have anything to do with purple being my favorite color alongside green. Nooot at all.

Not going to pretend like I know anything about colour classification, but couldn't italso be a case of blue eyes appearing violet under intense light?

I mean, I don't think it's normal to have purple eyes...?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:37:54 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
Oh, gosh. I was just going to say something, but then I forgot, because the OTHER thought crossed my mind that Sigrun might have oddly colored eyes...because she's the other mage. Just a thought, but then I started thinking about what would happen if she WAS the other mage. Oh, gosh.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »
Not going to pretend like I know anything about colour classification, but couldn't this also be a case of blue eyes appearing violet under intense light?

I mean, I don't think it's normal to have purple eyes...?
Lalli has white eyes on the cover, and Braidy has emerald green eyes. Neither of which are "real" colors.
It is probably just artistic license. Minna has said the comic will take a few liberties with physics(in a comic with fleshblob zombie giants? No waaaay!)

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
I wonder if part of her ancestry is from some of those surviving Scots who moved to Norway. 

shauhagah

• i don't even know
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »
Aksel Eide and his grandmother has sorta purplish eyes so maybe it runs in the family.

Oh, gosh. I was just going to say something, but then I forgot, because the OTHER thought crossed my mind that Sigrun might have oddly colored eyes...because she's the other mage. Just a thought, but then I started thinking about what would happen if she WAS the other mage. Oh, gosh.

I doubt she's a mage. I mean, she's 32, you think she'd notice if she started getting prophetic dreams and magical powers. Also giving someone like her magical powers is definitely disastrous. Think of all the havoc she'd be able to wreck.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what happens when a mage gets drunk. Can they still use their magical powers because wow you wouldn't want to be in the area.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 05:24:17 AM »
I wonder if part of her ancestry is from some of those surviving Scots who moved to Norway.

Because she is a redhead?

Norway and Iceland isn't that far behind Celtic countries in percentage of redheads. Take Árni and Aksel for example, there's nothing to suggest that they are part Scottish.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:56:24 AM by Fimbulvarg »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »
On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what happens when a mage gets drunk. Can they still use their magical powers because wow you wouldn't want to be in the area.
Well, it shouldn't be too different from some mage turning angry, evil, insane, daydreaming, having nightmares, turning into a troll, or developing his abilities a bit too early for his formation to start, or, for that matter, any mage growing up someplace where said formation somehow happens to be not readily available.

I guess having a couple peers of his at hand is your best bet.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Cynic

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:58 AM »
Norway and Iceland isn't that far behind Celtic countries in number of redheads...
Not surprising, at least for Iceland since they are genetically almost a third Celtic (not enough women from the old country when it was settled).

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:38:25 AM »
Because she is a redhead?

Norway and Iceland isn't that far behind Celtic countries in percentage of redheads. Take Árni for example, there's nothing to suggest that he's part Scottish.

Partly, but Minna stated that the remaining Scots moved to Norway, so Sigrun would be a good way of introducing that in-universe.  She'd also demonstrate how integrated they are (or can be) into the population since she doesn't know Scottish or English.  It would also give her an interest in searching for other survivors in the world, maybe even a childhood dream of traveling far afield and finding other people.  After all, most other people have had it drilled into their heads from birth that there's nothing out there but ruins and monsters, and holing up and hiding behind walls has become ingrained in the cultures.  She and a few other now-Norwegians would know though that there had been some other survivors, at least for a while, so possibly there could be more out there.