Author Topic: Key posts by Minna through the comments and on twitch  (Read 108963 times)

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Key posts by Minna through the comments and on twitch
« Reply #255 on: December 28, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
Even though we're not making transcriptions of the Twitch streams anymore, here's a tidbit that people here might find relevant (paraphrased because I wasn't fast enough to catch the verbatim wording):

Adventure 2 is planned to be shorter than Adventure 1, since Minna doesn't have to do the work of introducing each of the characters. It's projected to be around 3 books, or 800 pages instead of 1,000.

Of course, we'll see how Adventure 2 actually goes, but that's the current info!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #256 on: December 29, 2019, 12:05:28 AM »
Good info, thanks! *chinhands waiting for backlog of printed books*
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »
So I asked about Hannu and Ville's turtle during stream today and Minna gave us a name for it!

Quote from: Hummingfluff
Herra Kilpinen

So there we have it for those of us who write aRTD-fanfics
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Kilpinen is also the Finnish name of the turtle in kids’ comic Bamse
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Temteno

« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2020, 02:25:12 PM »
Kilpinen is also the Finnish name of the turtle in kids’ comic Bamse

I really hope this name choice was intentional from Minna :D

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »
It was! She hadn't decided when I asked so she looked up Skalman on wikipedia to find his Finnish name and went "there we have it, that's the turtle's name!"
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »
I want to add a little tidbit on magic from yesterday’s stream. I asked Minna whether one’s strength as a mage is innate or do they grow in power with age or training. And to be more precise, is Onni so much more powerful than Lalli because he’s older, or just because he is.

So Minna’s answer was that it’s a bit of both. The innate strength between people varies, so to become really strong you have to have strong potential to begin with. But the potential alone doesn’t become power, you have to train and focus on it a lot to realize that potential. Onni is innately a lot more powerful than Lalli but he also has concentrated on mage training a lot more.

Furthermore (and when she said it, it’s clear, but I hadn’t thought of it) Onni has a very different mindset. He is determined and disciplined, whereas Lalli usually does what he’s told and more like floats around. Minna didn’t exactly say, but I interpreted it to mean that Lalli would never become as powerful as a mage even if he had the same magic potential, because he doesn’t have it in him to focus on the training on a sufficient level to become a really badass mage.

On an earlier stream Minna promised that she could probably do an info page on Finnish magic! Of course “promises” during the stream are chatting and not committed plans, but here’s hoping! I for one would love to learn more!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »
Important news from the Twitch chat: Lalli, Onni, Tuuri, and probably Mikkel would like salmiakki.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #263 on: April 04, 2020, 05:28:16 PM »
Jitter, Minna’s remarks on magic make perfect sense because most of the our-world magic systems familiar to me work like that: a mixture of factors, such as innate magical ability, which as I have mentioned earlier in other contexts, I see as a talent in the same sense as ability to do math or music, or to make art, that is, an ability to perceive and shape patterns; personal nature as regards mental discipline and the ability to focus and concentrate and keep on paying detailed attention to what you are doing; training, both in endurance and in memorising traditional patterns and in learning how to make new ones; and for the theurgic systems, faith and trust in one’s god or gods.

Mebediel, I can understand liking salmiakki, it is delicious.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:47:31 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Temteno

« Reply #264 on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
Important news from the Twitch chat: Lalli, Onni, Tuuri, and probably Mikkel would like salmiakki.

I'm glad our fellow Finns are in the group who likes salmiakki :D Mikkel sounds chaotic enough to actually like it, but maybe his taste buds have experienced so much that it isn't the worst he has tasted.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #265 on: April 06, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »
I'm glad our fellow Finns are in the group who likes salmiakki :D Mikkel sounds chaotic enough to actually like it, but maybe his taste buds have experienced so much that it isn't the worst he has tasted.

I tried salmiakki after being exposed to the concept here in the fandom, and I have acquired the taste.  I too headcanon the Hotakainens as mad keen on the stuff.
Spoiler: shameless self promotion • show

I even wrote a story about it.  Ukko’s Löyly
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
Temteno, don't the Danish have salmiakki of their own? Or is it the Dutch? (I love the stuff, unfortunately "irtokarkki" isn't available at the moment!)

Temteno

« Reply #267 on: April 07, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
Temteno, don't the Danish have salmiakki of their own? Or is it the Dutch? (I love the stuff, unfortunately "irtokarkki" isn't available at the moment!)

I had actually no idea if Dutch or Danish have their own ones - but it is at least commonly know that Nordic people enjoy it (though only people outside of Finland that I know enjoy it are the people on this forum :D)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #268 on: April 07, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »
Well, as mentioned earlier, I like it well (Irish-Australian living in South Australia), and so does my Welsh cousin, and a friend who is also Irish- Australian and lives near here, and likely acquired the taste for trying strange new flavours because she is a spicer by profession. She and I can get it from the English Sweet Shop in Hahndorf, or from several confectioners in the Barossa Valley (though nobody is getting anything from there at present, because chunks of the area are on lockdown due to two Covid19 infection clusters among tourists there).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2020, 08:30:23 PM »

To my absolute delight, one of the local grocery stores carries Dutch "Zoute Drops". I have no idea where I encountered it first, but a Dutch fellow grad student came back after Christmas one year and was going around slyly offering unsuspecting Canadians a "treat" from home. He was gobsmacked when I looked at it and said, "Salty liquorice?? Yes please!" He entertained himself for weeks by sporadically offering it to his office-mate, who would recoil in horror recalling his initial introduction to the stuff.

My significant other frowns on it, and says, "That is not food!" But there are a few fans at work, although they do tend to be, as we say around here, "from away" (France in this case) or have spent time in Nordic countries - including Denmark, so you appear to be right on both counts, Jitter.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: