Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146643 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #465 on: December 11, 2015, 12:23:35 AM »
Anyone here played Eve Online? Or failing that, Magicka? It has hands down the best magic system in any video game I've seen, and developed by Swedes no less.

Ooh Magika, I played a little bit at a friends house and yeah, the magic system is very well made.

On a side note, I recently got Crimson Skies working on my PC and its AWESOME! I have a joystick with force feedback too so its really cool. Does anyone else still have the game? I was thinking of trying to get the Multiplayer working...
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #466 on: December 14, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »
On a side note, I recently got Crimson Skies working on my PC and its AWESOME! I have a joystick with force feedback too so its really cool. Does anyone else still have the game? I was thinking of trying to get the Multiplayer working...
I had a (pirated) version of Crimson Skies lying somewhere on my HDD. I haven't played it for years, though.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #467 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
I second Magicka thoroughly. Just finished the Magicka 2 campaign, and am intending to play through again on Bannas! if I can get my internet to stabilize.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

Athena

« Reply #468 on: December 15, 2015, 01:09:37 AM »
I had a (pirated) version of Crimson Skies lying somewhere on my HDD. I haven't played it for years, though.

Arr you filthy pirate...

You should dig it up! It's nice to get back to classics.

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #469 on: December 23, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »
I bought Snakebird on the Steam sale. Man, how can something this cute be so fiendishly difficult.
I found this short review on youtube that is very accurate (it contains swearing).
Pretentious? Moi?

Nietos

« Reply #470 on: December 23, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
Speaking of Steam sales... so much stuff on my wishlist is on sale at -75 % or even at -80 % (most notably Never Alone at -75 %, Transistor at -80 %, This War of Mine at -66 % and Shadowrun: Dragonfall at -80 %). If I wasn't a bit tight on cash I'd be grabbing soooo many games right now.

*checks Steam* Huh. I just got Undertale and Telltale's Game of Thrones as early Christmas presents from my ex. Well, that means I have won't need to stare at those two greedily anymore!

Athena

« Reply #471 on: December 27, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »
Just got Homeworld as a christmas gift (the remastered version on steam) and I've been playing the multiplayer with my dad and brother.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #472 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:11 AM »
I'm considering signing up for Steam.  These may be dumb questions, but since I've never played a video game since Myst more than 15 years ago...
  • Is it all Web-based?  Or at least, once I download the Steam client to my laptop, I don't need to buy other equipment, do I?
  • Once you buy a game is it yours permanently?  Or does it eventually disappear like something off your Netflix request list?
  • I have poor hand-eye coordination and I'm squeamish about blood, so that rules out a lot of popular games.  But given that games like Undertale exist, and some of the ones you've mentioned in this thread, will I find enough games to entertain myself?
  • Or maybe I'm asking the wrong question.  If I sign up for Steam, will I ever see the light of day again?  I have all this coming week off from work, but I will have to get up and go to the office eventually.  (Basically, I want to make sure I don't end up like the people in "Portlandia"...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #473 on: December 28, 2015, 02:05:44 AM »
I'm considering signing up for Steam.  These may be dumb questions, but since I've never played a video game since Myst more than 15 years ago...
  • Is it all Web-based?  Or at least, once I download the Steam client to my laptop, I don't need to buy other equipment, do I?
  • Once you buy a game is it yours permanently?  Or does it eventually disappear like something off your Netflix request list?
  • I have poor hand-eye coordination and I'm squeamish about blood, so that rules out a lot of popular games.  But given that games like Undertale exist, and some of the ones you've mentioned in this thread, will I find enough games to entertain myself?
  • Or maybe I'm asking the wrong question.  If I sign up for Steam, will I ever see the light of day again?  I have all this coming week off from work, but I will have to get up and go to the office eventually.  (Basically, I want to make sure I don't end up like the people in "Portlandia"...)
/>

In order:
It's not browser-based once you've downloaded and installed the Steam client. You don't need any other hardware, despite how eagerly they may advertise the Steam controller right now, although I would always recommend a mouse over a trackpad if you're playing on a laptop.
Once you've bought a game it's yours forever (in theory) and you can download, uninstall and reinstall it onto any computer you own as many times as you like.
You'll find a game you like. Trust me. I can't speak for Undertale but if I had to recommend a game or two with no blood and no need for hand-eye coordination, I'd say you could do worse than games like FTL: Faster Than Light (a spaceship simulator with a pause button so you can take as long as you like lining up shots, and combat is not all the game's about) and Sunless Sea (the same, sort of, but in a more Lovecraftian steampunk setting).
As for if you'll get lost to it, well, that depends. All I'll say is the potential is there...
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Nietos

« Reply #474 on: December 28, 2015, 05:15:59 AM »

Since SectoBoss already covered most of your questions, I'll just add that there are many games that have no blood and don't require superb hand-eye coordination (my reaction time is poor and I'm super jumpy so I don't like first-person action games and can't play games that require quick action). Undertale is lovely, I'm no good at bullet hell style of gameplay but I've been doing well enough so far. I'd also recommend Gone Home (first person exploration with puzzles) and Thomas Was Alone (puzzle platformer, great story, made me cry). They're both short but really good. There are so many other great games, but I'll start with those since I could recommend them to almost anyone.

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #475 on: December 28, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »
Also, a very important thing - Steam has a refund policy, so if you don't like something, you can get your money back.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Nietos

« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
I finished a true pacifist run in Undertale a couple of days ago and it was amazing. It was 4 AM and I cried so much during the final boss. I still have stuff to do in the epilogue, but oh man, it was so good. I think the last time a video game made me cry this much was the first season of Walking Dead (especially the end), which is one of my all time favourite video games.
The neutral ending's final boss was amazing, too. One of the best final bosses I've ever fought.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #477 on: January 11, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
Welcome to the Undertale True Ending club :)
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Athena

« Reply #478 on: January 25, 2016, 12:05:19 AM »
While cleaning out the basement with my dad yesterday we found a mint condition box for Ultima IV. It still has the spell book, the ankh, history book, and map all in perfect condition!  ::) My or may not have stayed up until midnight last night playing it...

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #479 on: February 01, 2016, 04:16:23 AM »
Okay.

If you have Steam, and you have Windows, and you have about half an hour free time, check out Dr.Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist.

It is free, involves tigers and grappling hooks and possibly a ghost?, and you will laugh. Totally worth it.
Am notified of private messages via email.