Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146666 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 30, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »
No Man's Sky looks promising, but I really, really dislike the overall colour scheme - screenshots like this or this one hurt my eyes. It's too saturated.

Speaking of upcoming games, the most intriguing game I'm waiting for is CD Projekt Red's epic vaporware RPG "Cyberpunk 2077". The only things known about it since its announcement years ago are a mind-bogglingly awesome teaser trailer, a piece of concept art and an estimated release date of "when it's ready". I'll be surprised if the Witcher's devs manage to finish it by 2077 2020s at the very least.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:08:40 PM by Guardian G.I. »
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #451 on: October 30, 2015, 02:14:11 PM »
*incoherent squeals of excitement*
It looks
so good
It's basically everything I want in a game.

SAME. Though I do like the overall color schemes (colorful vs. dark and gritty), they could tone some of those colors down a bit...

Since we're on anticipated games, mine would probably be Hyper Light Drifter (really like the pixel art style, and the fight mechanics look really fun) and Below (it's a roguelike(-like?) that actually looks gorgeous) nevermind the fact that I'm probably going to be really bad at both.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #452 on: November 19, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
Question: has anybody else played Cave Story here? More specifically, has anybody reached the "True Ending"? Because I just need to vent that I realized on my latest playthrough that I forgot one teeny tiny step in getting it and I've already saved and aaaargh.

To anybody who hasn't played Cave Story: might I kindly suggest playing it? Scratch that. Play it. It's a mastercraft of a game, deeper than it first appears, and you can get it for free! http://www.cavestory.org/
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #453 on: November 19, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »
I've played Cave Story, but I don't know if the ending I got was the true one.

I would also recommend playing it by the way, really nice retro game, with one caveat: it's a pretty hard game, think original-Sonic-hard.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:22:14 PM by Rollo »
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Unwary

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
  • Preferred pronouns: He, Him, His.
« Reply #454 on: November 27, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
Any here play Table Top Simulator?

I've been playing a while and wouldn't mind sharing my favourite games on it.
Could be cool to have a minnion card game time.
Call me OMO, the wise ones do.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
Easter Egg time: Apparently there's a ship in Fallout 4 called FMS Northern Star, which just so happens to be the name of a real world Norwegian ship. They both have the same colour scheme. BUT here's the thing: On FMS Northern Star you can encounter raiders who without a doubt speak Norwegian (with a silly Northern-ish dialect).

Apparently Norway has a special place in more than one post-apocalyptic story :P

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
I checked that boat out when I first heard it contained norwegian ghouls... And it sorta hurt hearing them speak. Like, the voice actors were clearly not norwegian-speakers. The dialogue was sorta bland. It's a shame too because they nailed scandinavian dialects with Skyrim.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:34 PM »
So I finished EarthBound, one of the main sources of inspiration of Undertale. It was rather good, quite addictive (I think I've been playing it for barely more than a week???)

However, if you have played Undertale and intend to try EarthBound, beware: EarthBound is much, much harder. I think it's the hardest RPG I have finished so far (not that I have finished a lot but…)
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »
I know I'm late, but I just picked up Monument Valley for free on ios the other day, and man is it a beautiful game.
I'm also picking up on the gaming heritage I missed as I was growing up- got Mirror's Edge and Portal for £4 in a Steam sale and finished them both and now I'm working through Bioshock 2 after finishing the first.
If anyone wants to recommend any other classics I've missed out on thanks to my age, feel free! Love a good story-driven game.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
I know I'm late, but I just picked up Monument Valley for free on ios the other day, and man is it a beautiful game.

Monument Valley is amazing! So beautiful and addictive, although I didn't quite understand the story. :D I could recommend you Fez.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
If anyone wants to recommend any other classics I've missed out on thanks to my age, feel free! Love a good story-driven game.
Not sure if it's quite what you're after but if someone asks me to recommend a game one of the first titles out of my mouth will always be The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's old and clunky by today's standards but if you give it half a chance it'll suck you into a fantasy world that I still find one of the most fun to explore out of all the games I've played. I lost a whole summer to it! (although by my standards that means less than I wish it did...)
If you want almost pure story you could do a lot worse than check out Telltale Games' works. The Walking Dead and The Wolf Amongst Us are two I'd highlight. Pure character and player-driven narrative and some top-notch storytelling!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
I'm also picking up on the gaming heritage I missed as I was growing up- got Mirror's Edge and Portal for £4 in a Steam sale and finished them both and now I'm working through Bioshock 2 after finishing the first.

Monument Valley is amazing! So beautiful and addictive, although I didn't quite understand the story. :D I could recommend you Fez.

Such good! All of them! Monument Valley is awesome and so is Fez. In the same vein, might I recommend The Bridge? I've yet to beat it, but the puzzles are awesome and really, really mind-boggling.

Unwary, thank you for reminding me of yet another game I really need to get... Tabletop Simulator piqued my interest the moment I spotted it!

And Re: Cave Story - yes, it's hard. Really hard. And it gets even harder when you're trying for the True Ending, which requires you to give up certain items and enter areas that make the earlier hard areas look like trips through Candyland. Am I a terrible person for wanting to drag at least one other person to Hell (which is the name of the true last level) with me?
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
Not sure if it's quite what you're after but if someone asks me to recommend a game one of the first titles out of my mouth will always be The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's old and clunky by today's standards but if you give it half a chance it'll suck you into a fantasy world that I still find one of the most fun to explore out of all the games I've played. I lost a whole summer to it! (although by my standards that means less than I wish it did...)
If you want almost pure story you could do a lot worse than check out Telltale Games' works. The Walking Dead and The Wolf Amongst Us are two I'd highlight. Pure character and player-driven narrative and some top-notch storytelling!
Anything, to be honest- just great games I've missed out on.
I've heard the virtues of Morrowind and the Telltale games extolled everywhere, basically-I'll have to check them out at some point.

Fez is another one I definitely want to try at some point, I love that perspective shift that it has.
I really have missed a lot. .-.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
Anything, to be honest- just great games I've missed out on.
Well then...
System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are two of the best turn-of-the-millennium PC games out there, and will run on just about anything these days. Both are very deep games that make up for in worldbuilding and gameplay what they lack in graphical quality. Check out Thief 2 while you're at it, it's a great stealth game from the same era. And Half-Life too, if FPSs are your thing.
Moving forward a bit, the original Far Cry is punishing but tremendous fun. Vampire: Bloodlines has been praised to high heaven and although I never got into it I've had people whose opinions I respect recommend it to me over and over. F.E.A.R. is a great FPS from the mid 2000s that genuinely scares in places.
Games like Hard Reset and Painkiller are pure run-and-gun adrenaline action for when you need it. Star Wars: Republic Commando is one of the few Star Wars games worth playing in my opinion, although I've heard that the Jedi Knight games do a very good job of making you feel like a Jedi (lethal, but one slip-up and you're gone).
FTL: Faster than Light is an easy-to-grasp, difficult-to-master spaceship simulator that I've lost too much time to for what it is.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Quite possibly you've already played a bunch of these! All of them are old or low-spec so should run acceptably on even a lower-end laptop these days (with the possible exception of Far Cry, which was 2004's Crysis, and Morrowind, which is hilariously poorly optimised). Assuming, of course, you're playing on PC - I'm a dirt-poor student who hasn't the money for consoles, so I sometimes forget they exist ::)
Hope this helps!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Myferi

« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2015, 11:39:53 PM »
Anyone here played Eve Online? Or failing that, Magicka? It has hands down the best magic system in any video game I've seen, and developed by Swedes no less.
Fluent: :latvia: :australia: :italy:
Forgotten most of: :germany: