Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146690 times)

Taskuhecate

• Tumblr
  • hellbent and heaven sent
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
*new person sneaks in*

I've been re-obsessed with ARK: Survival Evolved since the new snow and swamp biomes came out, and the Fear Evolved event is soon.  Also, quetzalcoatlus is a beast.  I wasn't sure they were going to be better than argentavis, but daaaayum, something about flying around the entire map without having to land, picking up mammoths and nearly anything you want (with a handful of exceptions)....priceless!

Also, the pokémon games are always classics.
Fluent: :usa:
Literate: :fennoswede:
Trying to seriously study: :argentina:
Poked at: :finland: :iceland: :germany: :vaticancity: Nahuatl

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
So if I remember correctly, there's at least one other person out there who has played Borderlands 2, and I'm curious - would anybody be interested in starting new characters with me? I've never tried the multiplayer aspect of the game, and think it'd be fun to try a new class with one of you wonderful people.

Also, ARK is awesome, though I haven't played it in a while - I'll have to check out the new biomes! And unfortunately, I never really got into Dishonored - probably because my parents saw one moment at the very beginning of the game and expressed severe disapproval.
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Taskuhecate

• Tumblr
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »
@Adrai: Which moment??  I thought that game was fairly safe, aside from a few mildly disturbing things. . .  (Then again, I adored Amnesia: The Dark Descent...)

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #438 on: October 28, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
When I say at the very beginning of the game, I mean the very beginning. I had barely started up the game for the first time, and my parents came down right as the queen got stabbed in the gut. Blood everywhere, of course, and oh gosh could you feel the disapproval emanating from behind me. I'm fairly fine with that kind of thing - don't excessively like it, but don't mind it. But now I don't think I could play without my parents, like, rescinding all access to all computers forever or something  :-\

Taskuhecate

• Tumblr
« Reply #439 on: October 28, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
Wow, really?  That was super tame, I thought. . .  >.>;;  But again, I don't live with my parents and my mom and I used to watch Law & Order and Medium all the time together.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #440 on: October 28, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
When I say at the very beginning of the game, I mean the very beginning. I had barely started up the game for the first time, and my parents came down right as the queen got stabbed in the gut. Blood everywhere, of course, and oh gosh could you feel the disapproval emanating from behind me. I'm fairly fine with that kind of thing - don't excessively like it, but don't mind it. But now I don't think I could play without my parents, like, rescinding all access to all computers forever or something  :-\
Hmm... I must admit I wouldn't have thought that was an overly gory part of the game, but to each their own I guess.
(You should definitely give it a try when they're not around, though! I think it's a game that deserves a second chance!)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #441 on: October 28, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
Hmm... I must admit I wouldn't have thought that was an overly gory part of the game, but to each their own I guess.
(You should definitely give it a try when they're not around, though! I think it's a game that deserves a second chance!)

Depends on what people are used to I suppose, but even for me that scene was really upsetting. Not because of the blood and all but because of what happened in it, I really liked the empress from the start...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #442 on: October 28, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
Agreed, I liked the empress! And I didn't think it was overly gory either, but my parents - well, they think the original Star wars movies have "a bit too much violence". Hmm.
But I do think I'll try it sometime! Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll see if I can't play the nights away, since I hardly sleep anyway.

Taskuhecate

• Tumblr
« Reply #443 on: October 28, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
Eh, differences in times/culture, I suppose!  Things were a lot less violent years ago, at least on screen, so I guess I can sorta see where your parents are coming from.

The last thing that got to me was Until Dawn.  I'm a chicken, so I mostly watch horror LPs, since I'm curious but too chicken to play it myself.  That one had me nearly gagging a couple times, and wondering why I was watching but I just...had to know how it ended!  Overall it was an interesting game, but extremely gory.  Like, Saw gory.  >.>;;;

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #444 on: October 28, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »
Depends on what people are used to I suppose, but even for me that scene was really upsetting. Not because of the blood and all but because of what happened in it, I really liked the empress from the start...
I will confess it took me a while to warm to the empress, as for me she was just another throwaway character killed off in the opening scenes to provide some vague motivation for the player character...
Spoiler: show
And then it hit me, right about the time I was getting dumped in the river by my so-called friends, that I'd been carrying around her butchered, mechanised heart/soul in my pocket for the entire game, and I began to feel very sorry for her indeed. She was in all likelihood Corvo's closest companion throughout the entire game, and most people probably ended up just using her as a loot-sniffer. :(
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #445 on: October 28, 2015, 04:51:35 PM »
I really like these let's play videos from the React guys. I just saw they were doing God of War III and I though "that game is brutally difficult event for me, how are they gonna make the elders even get through the opening of that game." I guess it's not as brutal on the easiest difficulty setting because they actually do OK. I like how into it they all seem to be.
Pretentious? Moi?

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #446 on: October 29, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
Agreed, I liked the empress! And I didn't think it was overly gory either, but my parents - well, they think the original Star wars movies have "a bit too much violence". Hmm.
But I do think I'll try it sometime! Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll see if I can't play the nights away, since I hardly sleep anyway.

The game has a PEGI M rating you know. Now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of popular games (Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Fallout, Batman) have an M rating. Almost as if the publishers have figured out that the rating doesn't really hinder the game sales too much.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #447 on: October 29, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
The game has a PEGI M rating you know. Now that I think about it, it seems like a lot of popular games (Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Fallout, Batman) have an M rating. Almost as if the publishers have figured out that the rating doesn't really hinder the game sales too much.

Yeah, I've been noticing that too. And all the "Most Anticipated" games I've seen lately have been rated M... except for No Man's Sky. My goodness, am I hyped for that. And the new Zelda game. Honestly, I could do without the hyperrealistic gorefests/"adult" games that have been gamings' trend... I mean, sure, there's some good ones, but stylized tastefulness will always be far more welcomed by me. [/microrant]

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »
Film and games ratings mean bugger-all now that anyone with an Amazon/Steam account can buy whatever they want, no questions asked. For example, the very first game I ever played, back when I was about 15 or 16, was the almost cartoonishly gory (and definitely 18-rated) Fallout 3.
I can't imagine game developers don't know this and plan accordingly.
I write a bit on AO3

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
No Man's Sky
*incoherent squeals of excitement*
It looks
so good
It's basically everything I want in a game.
Hell, even people I know who hate games are interested in it.
Sure, Fallout 4, Battlefront, Dishonoured 2 and all the loads of other new games are exciting, but No Man's Sky is just in a whole other league.