Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146649 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 14, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
I don't play a lot of vidya games because i'm kind of bad at them i'm too busy drawing reasons, but everything around me started turning into Undertale so i caved in and started playing Undertale. I haven't even finished a single run yet but it's really really great and funny and also kind of terrifying. i love it
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #421 on: October 14, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »
All right, I think I'll try Portal first, if only because it's short enough that I won't get too hopelessly entangled in it. And I can always get Portal 2 later if I really like it. Thank you!

Hi I'm Viola, I don't play video games and I know nothing about video games, but I've played Portal. Please play all the Portal. This is the only reason I have a steam account. I would start with Portal because it introduces you to characters and stories that get continued in Portal 2. Honestly the story was the reason I got pulled in. Let's not talk about how I spent a lot of hours playing both games and not doing anything else. Portal in moderation is hard. Also, the cake is a lie.

Also if anyone knows any video games with really good stories like Portal I would love to hear about them. Who am I kidding, I have no free time for this sort of thing  ::)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #422 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
In light of the overwhelming set of opinions in favor of it, I have decided to buy and play Portal like there was going to be any other outcome to this :P I'll let you all know how it goes! The cake is a lie...
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #423 on: October 14, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
In light of the overwhelming set of opinions in favor of it, I have decided to buy and play Portal like there was going to be any other outcome to this :P I'll let you all know how it goes! The cake is a lie...
Portal is amazing! The story itself is quite short, you can beat it in about an hour and a half if you rush through all the puzzles, but the writing is really really good. The best part, aside from GLADoS, is that feeling you get after you've been struggling with a puzzle for a while and then suddenly it just HITS you <3
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #424 on: October 14, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »
I don't play a lot of vidya games because i'm kind of bad at them i'm too busy drawing reasons, but everything around me started turning into Undertale so i caved in and started playing Undertale. I haven't even finished a single run yet but it's really really great and funny and also kind of terrifying. i love it

It's pretty fun, some clever original ideas viz other RPGs.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #425 on: October 15, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
I have a hunch many of you would really like Psychonauts if you tried it.
Pretentious? Moi?

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #426 on: October 15, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
I have a hunch many of you would really like Psychonauts if you tried it.
I love that game! I never beat it because that last level is just, absolutely impossible -- but I really enjoyed playing it :D

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #427 on: October 17, 2015, 05:18:19 AM »
It's pretty fun, some clever original ideas viz other RPGs.

I was up to 2AM to get to the ending,, and now I can never reset it to try out other routes because I don't wanna hurt or disappoint a bunch of pixels... what is this game
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #428 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
I don't suppose anyone here has played the game Sunless Sea? I'm thinking of getting it, but wouldn't mind hearing someone else's opinions on it before I part with my money.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #429 on: October 17, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Sunless Sea is awesome! ... says the person who hasn't picked it up in a while.
Last I played, it was tough, and a little bit discouraging (am I making any progress?!) but it's Failbetter - the writing is top-notch, the world is wonderful, and the atmosphere is perfect. And the gameplay is quite fun as well.
Do I recommend it?
Maybe. I'll have to play with the latest updates to be sure, but it's a tentative yes.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #430 on: October 17, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
Sunless Sea is an awesome game, I highly recommend it! There is a lot to explore and every time you play will be something new.. Don't be discouraged if you die right away, it is very much like you learn a bit more in every life. It is harsh, there is no tutorial. You start the game with a little book full of some info on various things, but when it comes to survival, you have to learn on your own. Don't be afraid to take risks, when you die you don't lose everything and once you get a good feel for the map, it gets much easier.

tl;dr : You sould play it if you are not afraid to take risks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:44:15 PM by Luth Nightbreeze »
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #431 on: October 17, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
Sunless Sea has been on my "looks-interesting-but-I-have-no-money-and-also-want-about-15-other-games" list for a while now, love the idea behind it.
Maybe if I catch it on sale someday.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #432 on: October 17, 2015, 12:55:11 PM »
Ok, thanks for that! I guess, like Para says, I'll probably end up playing it safe and getting it in the next Steam sale that rolls around
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #433 on: October 17, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »
I finally broke down and bought Fantasy Life for my 3DS! It's very difficult to not just try out every single job class and actually stick to only a few - they all look so cute and fun!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
I probably shouldn't have started playing a new run of Dishonored, considering all the work I'm supposed to be doing. But on the other hand, there's nothing like sneaking around a fantasy-London, sword in one hand and blink spell in the other.
If I'm honest, while the gameplay's great the the story's decent enough, it will always be the art style that I love the most about that game. That sort of neo-Victorian look really sells it for me.
I write a bit on AO3