Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146584 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2015, 11:43:15 PM »
EEEEEE, these are ADORABLE and they look so great!!! that weird ugly moose is like, my favorite furniture item ::)
YEET

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #406 on: September 20, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »
Early review of our game:
"Scariest non-scary game ever" :D

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #407 on: October 13, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »
This is, what, the second time I've performed mild necromancy on this thread?
Ah, whatever.

So I recently took part in the Star wars Battlefront Beta, and I was... pleasantly surprised! It feels like Star Wars, it feels like Battlefront, it does not feel like Battlefield. Also, it runs the highest graphical settings on my not-so-next-gen computer. I'm a fan, and will probably buy the full game once it comes out and when I have more than a dollar to my name.

Also, I recently started a new character in Borderlands 2... I'd forgotten how much I love that game, especially the writing. It's a crazy, crazy world, and I just love it all.

Anyways...
*Retreats back to his secluded lair for more research into the dark arts*
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #408 on: October 14, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
So I recently took part in the Star wars Battlefront Beta, and I was... pleasantly surprised! It feels like Star Wars, it feels like Battlefront, it does not feel like Battlefield. Also, it runs the highest graphical settings on my not-so-next-gen computer. I'm a fan, and will probably buy the full game once it comes out and when I have more than a dollar to my name.

Also, I recently started a new character in Borderlands 2... I'd forgotten how much I love that game, especially the writing. It's a crazy, crazy world, and I just love it all.

That's good to hear! Must admit I've been looking forwards to Battlefront 3 for a very long time (and sank far too many hours into Battlefront 1&2). Now if only they'd bring out another Republic Commando game...

And do not get me started on up and creating a new character. I'm plunging back into Skyrim as we speak, prior commitments and urgent work be damned.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
Quick question for video game aficionados!
In psychology today we played a bit of Portal 2 (in order to learn about teamwork and problem solving) and now I really want the game. But should I start with the first Portal game? Or does it not matter?
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #410 on: October 14, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »
Quick question for video game aficionados!
In psychology today we played a bit of Portal 2 (in order to learn about teamwork and problem solving) and now I really want the game. But should I start with the first Portal game? Or does it not matter?
I'd always recommend you play Portal, because it's short and sweet (and hilarious) and pretty cheap on Steam. But no, you don't actually need to play it to enjoy Portal 2. You might not get a few of the jokes and the backstory, is all.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #411 on: October 14, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
This is, what, the second time I've performed mild necromancy on this thread?
Ah, whatever.

I'm worried about Battlefront 3. Not worried about whether it will be a good game or not per se ... I'm worried how much time I (being a Star Wars fan since age 4) will sink into it.

Now if only they'd bring out another Republic Commando game...

"I wonder what the weather 's like on Kamino right now".

You might not get a few of the jokes and the backstory, is all.

It's not as if the backstory is particularly complex or anything though, right? I've only played Portal 2 and I think I understand the basic premise.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #412 on: October 14, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
"I wonder what the weather 's like on Kamino right now".
"Get yourself some bacta, soldier!"
(that was a meme in my house for the longest time, good memories...)

It's not as if the backstory is particularly complex or anything though, right? I've only played Portal 2 and I think I understand the basic premise.
To be honest the vast majority of the basckstory was added in by Portal 2 anyway. About the only thing that I can think of that might potentially confuse someone who's only played Portal 2 is why GLaDOS hates you and who Aperture Science are, but both of those are pretty quickly and succinctly explained. I'd still reccommend Portal, though, if only because it's a wonderfully fun little game!
I write a bit on AO3

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #413 on: October 14, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
In regards to Battlefront, I tried the beta too.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the cards/regenerating ability system worked, and while my inner nostalgic was miffed that I couldn't actually *enter* and *exit* vehicles, they felt fun to use. Weapons had a real weight to them which was great, and they've *nailed* atmosphere, graphical fidelity and so on.
Few performance issues and crashes, but I expected that from a beta.
What did you guys think of the heroes though? They felt a bit clunky to me, though I didn't get to use them much.
Also, spawn points need work, especially in Drop Zone.
Pretty good overall, and I'm just happy that new quality Star Wars games are coming out.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #414 on: October 14, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
All right, I think I'll try Portal first, if only because it's short enough that I won't get too hopelessly entangled in it. And I can always get Portal 2 later if I really like it. Thank you!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #415 on: October 14, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
All right, I think I'll try Portal first, if only because it's short enough that I won't get too hopelessly entangled in it. And I can always get Portal 2 later if I really like it. Thank you!
Portal's brilliant, I'd certainly recommend both.
Tough, mind, but brilliant.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #416 on: October 14, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
What did you guys think of the heroes though? They felt a bit clunky to me, though I didn't get to use them much.
Also, spawn points need work, especially in Drop Zone.

I haven't tried it, but what I've seen looks a bit unwieldy. I'm confused too, do heroes not recover health by taking down enemies anymore?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #417 on: October 14, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »

I have nothing worthwhile to add but both Portal games are some of the best times I've had while playing!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #418 on: October 14, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
To be honest the vast majority of the basckstory was added in by Portal 2 anyway. About the only thing that I can think of that might potentially confuse someone who's only played Portal 2 is why GLaDOS hates you and who Aperture Science are, but both of those are pretty quickly and succinctly explained. I'd still reccommend Portal, though, if only because it's a wonderfully fun little game!
If you like the puzzles and gameplay in Portal 2, You will love Portal.

Lately I have been playing The Long Dark, (http://hinterlandgames.com) a survival game set in northern Canada. You play as a bush pilot who crashed during a geomagnetic storm caused by a solar flare, and you have to survive a long, cold winter. The landscapes are stunning, The wolves and bears terrifying, and the world immense. They have a good update schedule, with 1 major game update every month. You can fish, hunt, deconstruct, and die in many ways. Currently it is quite lonely but they are planning on adding NPCs soon. I can highly recommend it.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #419 on: October 14, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »
Lately I have been playing The Long Dark, (http://hinterlandgames.com) a survival game set in northern Canada. You play as a bush pilot who crashed during a geomagnetic storm caused by a solar flare, and you have to survive a long, cold winter. The landscapes are stunning, The wolves and bears terrifying, and the world immense. They have a good update schedule, with 1 major game update every month. You can fish, hunt, deconstruct, and die in many ways. Currently it is quite lonely but they are planning on adding NPCs soon. I can highly recommend it.

Ooh yes, the Long Dark! Can't really add more to that, Luth summed it up nicely - though I can say it's one of the very few survival-style games I've ever enjoyed.

And Ana, I'd echo the sentiment that getting both Portal games is a great idea, not only for the story and puzzles, but also for the jokes. Seriously. Both games are hilarious, and deserve to be played through!

Also on the Battlefront Beta, I agree that the heroes were a bit... odd to use. Then again, I only ever got to use one, so...
Elsewhere, I've seen people complaining about weapon balance, but I found every weapon to have a use depending on how you wanted to play, and I get the feeling there'll be more than 4 choices in the final game :P
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.