Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146635 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
Oh, so he must have collected a lot of the shanties, I guess they sing nearly a dozen of different ones by now.  ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
So it turns out my local library has all the Witcher books currently translated into English. Yay! Now I only need to get a hold of the rest of the books in German. Maybe eBooks? Hmmm...

As for Assassins Creed, I've played the first, second, and Brotherhood. I like the premise of the game - sneaking around on roofs and assassinating people. It's fun. I also like the landmarks. Might get Unity because of that. I want to climb the Notre Dame.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »
So it turns out my local library has all the Witcher books currently translated into English. Yay! Now I only need to get a hold of the rest of the books in German. Maybe eBooks? Hmmm...

As for Assassins Creed, I've played the first, second, and Brotherhood. I like the premise of the game - sneaking around on roofs and assassinating people. It's fun. I also like the landmarks. Might get Unity because of that. I want to climb the Notre Dame.
I'd also recommend 4.  The assassin-ing wasn't the best, and the story mode was kind of lame, but the rest of it...  "Pirate Ship Simulator" is a fantastic game!  I almost completed everything the ocean had to offer before getting half way through the story mode.
Also, yep, I'm really looking forward to Unity!  It's very technically impressive (1 in 4 buildings enterable??  What??), and it looks fun, and those make a pretty great combo.

I'm also weirdly looking forward to Bloodborne.  I'm not usually into that type of setting, but it looks like great hack n' slash.
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2014, 12:40:11 AM »
Well, me being on limited gaming budget, I have to choose between games. And to me... climbing Notre Dame>Pirate ships, hehehe (I'm the sort of person who has looked at buildings since birth, figuring out hypothetical climbing paths, though I rarely get to test them - and yes, I also enjoy rock-climbing, when I get the opportunity). Also Unity has co-op for up to four people. I find that fun.

But, if I ever do get a windfall of money to spend on gaming, Black Flag is on the (very long) list. Because pirates are really interesting, and I would like to captain a pirate crew.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »
But, if I ever do get a windfall of money to spend on gaming, Black Flag is on the (very long) list. Because pirates are really interesting, and I would like to captain a pirate crew.

Nerrh, the whole "yer a poirate Harry" thing is not very well done in my opinion. The ship designs are awful (rams on a 18th century frigate? Get out) and the naval action becomes very arcade-like very soon. The rest of the game is just Assassins Creed, the same old game mechanics.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
It's a very long list. Black Flag would not be at the top of it ;) The Witcher 3 has that honour, and many many 3DS, DS, J-RPGs, and LEGO games come after it.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:08 AM »
Right now I'm waiting for the Halo: Master Chief Collection to come out. Anybody else?

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2014, 02:19:19 AM »
Nope, not me. Not a Halo (or most sci-fi, or even most non-historical/fantasy 1st person shooters) fan. But my brother is right into that series, so he'll be waiting for that.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
Right now I'm waiting for the Halo: Master Chief Collection to come out. Anybody else?
That, and Sunset Overdrive are pretty much the only things that make me consider getting an Xbone.  I love SO's developer, Insomniac.  They made my childhood so much fuuun.  I never played Halo, except at friends' houses.  I'm not too keen on it, but I would like to give it a proper chance someday, and an HD collection sounds like a good opportunity to do so.
Feel free to PM.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
That, and Sunset Overdrive are pretty much the only things that make me consider getting an Xbone.  I love SO's developer, Insomniac.  They made my childhood so much fuuun.  I never played Halo, except at friends' houses.  I'm not too keen on it, but I would like to give it a proper chance someday, and an HD collection sounds like a good opportunity to do so.
I dunno. Sunset Overdrive looks like something that would give me epilepsy.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »
I dunno. Sunset Overdrive looks like something that would give me epilepsy.
That's why they have warnings on games now, haha.  If you've ever played ratchet & clank, Sunset Overdrive looks pretty tame in the explosions and bright, flashing lights department.  It is very colorful and bright, though.
Feel free to PM.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
That's why they have warnings on games now, haha.  If you've ever played ratchet & clank, Sunset Overdrive looks pretty tame in the explosions and bright, flashing lights department.  It is very colorful and bright, though.
Kind of the opposite of conventional post-apocalyptic scenery- which is to say, dull drab browns and grays, except for when you're blasting the heck out of a zombie horde

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »
Kind of the opposite of conventional post-apocalyptic scenery- which is to say, dull drab browns and grays, except for when you're blasting the heck out of a zombie horde
Exactly.  That's part of why I want it, it just looks like some good fun.  I could sit and play for a few minutes, or a few hours.  I also just like the bright, comic-y style.  Even the zombies are a bright, incandescent orange.
Feel free to PM.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »
Exactly.  That's part of why I want it, it just looks like some good fun.  I could sit and play for a few minutes, or a few hours.  I also just like the bright, comic-y style.  Even the zombies are a bright, incandescent orange.
I might get it, but really, there's only so many FPSs you can play at one time.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2014, 07:35:41 PM »
I might get it, but really, there's only so many FPSs you can play at one time.
TPS, man.  I actually prefer 3rd person, because I can see my character doing stuff.  :D
That's also part of why I went with a PS4.  I'm not a big FPS fan, but I do like the runny-jumpy-swingy-happy games that PlayStation likes to put out every now and then, as well as the other stuff like inFamous and super cool stuff like this.

Also, AC Unity is doing... this?  Link.  Looks interesting, at least.
Feel free to PM.