Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146545 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #375 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
Yeah, I heard. It's pretty rare for movie games to be successful, so I'm not expecting much from it.
There's also the fact that none of the awesome characters (who arguably made the film successful) like Furiosa or the Many Mothers will be in this game, which really knocks down the interest value for me.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #376 on: August 05, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
There's also the fact that none of the awesome characters (who arguably made the film successful) like Furiosa or the Many Mothers will be in this game, which really knocks down the interest value for me.

Well, I guess that's a question of taste. It is not Fury Road:The Game.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
Well, I guess that's a question of taste. It is not Fury Road:The Game.
Except it kind of is...? like, the war boys are in it. And the main villain is supposed to be another one of Immortan Joe's sons? So it obviously takes place in that continuity. Just... sans Furiosa.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #378 on: August 05, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
Except it kind of is...? like, the war boys are in it. And the main villain is supposed to be another one of Immortan Joe's sons? So it obviously takes place in that continuity. Just... sans Furiosa.

Yes, it's definitely in the Maxverse. But from what I've heard those War Boys are not Immortan Joe's army, but rather his son's. Presumably it's meant to be some kind of sequel set after Max leaves Furiosa and the Wives. Fury Road (or Furiosa, which was its original title) itself is intended as the first of a trilogy. So the intentions of the game is probably to place itself in the newer Mad Max trilogy timeframe without being a direct video game translation of Fury Road/Furiosa. Maybe it leads up to the next movie, Mad Max: Wasteland in some way.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:47:57 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #379 on: August 05, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »
Yes, it's definitely in the Maxverse. But from what I've heard those War Boys are not Immortan Joe's army, but rather his son's. Presumably it's meant to be some kind of sequel set after Max leaves Furiosa and the Wives. Fury Road (Furiosa which was its original title) itself is intended as the first of a trilogy. So the intentions of the game is probably to place itself in the newer Mad Max trilogy timeframe without being a direct video game translation of Fury Road/Furiosa. Maybe it leads up to the next movie, Mad Max: Wasteland in some way.

Oooh I never thought of it that way! :) Thanks Fim.

Everett Asimov

• I'm always a bit lost.
« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
Wow. I really need to see Mad Max now. I've seen the original. Does that count? No, probably not.
So, hello and salutations gamers. I'm kind of new here so if you want to know more about me hit up the introductions thread or just chuck a brick at me and ask for more info. I'm a hopeless gamer who plays all sorts of games. Like, it's gross how much time I've spent on video games. Now that I think about it, I'll have organize them by genre so it doesn't strain your eyes...
Strategy: Disgaea; sometimes horribly quirky but unbelievably addicting. Fire Emblem; makes me care more for miscellaneous soldiers than any strategy game yet. Also just fun to play Civilization; Siv Myers Civilization is an anagram for "addictive games."
RPG: Skyrim; I arrived late to the Elder Scrolls party, but I'm here now and Skyrim was awesome. The Last of Us; oh god the feels.
JRPG: Final Fantasy; Crystal Chronicles, 10, and 12 were all great, but recently I feel like SqueeNix has been losing my attention. Tales of... (Namco Bandia); Tales of the Abyss and Symphonia will always have a special place in my heart. Xillia was good. Kingdom Hearts; starting to outgrow it, but if the KH3 trailer got a rise out of me I must still be a fanboy. The final Wii games, Xenoblade and The Last Story were a great way to close that consoles chapter.
Arty: Journey; a ps3 game that had me crying over a peice of cloth. Shadow of the Colossus; arguably not an artful video game, but I'll put it here for its incredible sense of atmosphere and scale if nothing else.
Indie: Risk of Rain; pixely rogue-like that makes you feel like a boss when it's not kicking you in the knees and laughing at you. Minecraft, is this even indie anymore? I'm sure it's grossed more than all the independent games in the last five years combined. Whatever, it still makes me happy. Supergiant Games: I have a shrine in my room dedicated to The Bastion and Transistor. The love I feel for these games is shameful.
Puzzle: Myst; if you remember this little gem of a point-and-click, then kudos! Portal; yeah I know. Look at me with my outdated memes and steam fanboys. Please have mercy on my soul.
Others: Guild Wars 2; my first and only mmorpg so far. League of Legends; god willing my only moba addiction. Legend of Zelda; I'm not as big a Nintendo guy as I used to be, but that mute elf dude won't get off my back!
You'll notice I don't have many multiplayer games. Although I don't own many, I can get into pretty much any shooter/platformer you put in front of me. There's a whole lot more I could talk about, but I think I hit the TMI threshold ten lines ago, so that's all!

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #381 on: August 07, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »
Helloooo fellow Supergiant fan! (Talks about Transistor for years) And, uh, looking at the rest of your list, are you me? Only a few of these have I yet to play...
Also, Skyrim. Only on PC though, mods make the game. I actually recently saw somebody playing it on the Xbox, and I didn't even realize it was the same game at fist because the graphics and menu and combat were all different, hehe...

Speaking of Skyrim, I recently went ahead and did a little photography binge, here's some highlights... (huge, so they're under a spoiler)

Spoiler: show

Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Everett Asimov

• I'm always a bit lost.
« Reply #382 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »
Helloooo fellow Supergiant fan! (Talks about Transistor for years) And, uh, looking at the rest of your list, are you me? Only a few of these have I yet to play...
Also, Skyrim. Only on PC though, mods make the game. I actually recently saw somebody playing it on the Xbox, and I didn't even realize it was the same game at fist because the graphics and menu and combat were all different, hehe...

Speaking of Skyrim, I recently went ahead and did a little photography binge, here's some highlights... (huge, so they're under a spoiler)

Spoiler: show

I might be you... or you might be me? We'll probably never know for sure. Anyway, you have awesome taste in vidja games. And yes, pc skyrim is best skyrim, as made plain by the awesome photography! A while ago I heard whispers of a super-ultra-huge mod adding a whole new campaign in an underground civilization of mole people. But that was so long ago they may have given it up so they could start making sacrifices for Fallout 4.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »
I might be you... or you might be me? We'll probably never know for sure. Anyway, you have awesome taste in vidja games. And yes, pc skyrim is best skyrim, as made plain by the awesome photography! A while ago I heard whispers of a super-ultra-huge mod adding a whole new campaign in an underground civilization of mole people. But that was so long ago they may have given it up so they could start making sacrifices for Fallout 4.

Personally I'm really hopeful for Skywind and Enderal - they're both coming along very well, and look to be amazing mods by teams who know what they're doing.
But on the other hand making sacrifices to Fallout 4 is an entirely viable course of action, and mole people could easily migrate thereunto...

Also, still crying out for one of my favorite games ever, Nidhogg, the one and only. Can't believe I forgot about my baby for a moment there. Stabbing people has never been more fun or frenetic. Even losing is fun.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2015, 02:35:49 PM »
Double posting like a boss, but I'm actually really excited for this little bit? I think it could actually be tons of fun...
http://imgur.com/gallery/mWkeC

Basically, Skyrim: The Windwaker. Or maybe the Skyrim Dark? Skyrim Fortress 2? Hmm.

Everett Asimov

• I'm always a bit lost.
« Reply #385 on: August 08, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
Double posting like a boss, but I'm actually really excited for this little bit? I think it could actually be tons of fun...
http://imgur.com/gallery/mWkeC

Basically, Skyrim: The Windwaker. Or maybe the Skyrim Dark? Skyrim Fortress 2? Hmm.

Looks like Skyrim Fortress 2, or it will once we see some good 'ol cartoony gore. And yes, Nidhogg. I can never tell who's winning until someone starts spewing pixels or just runs by.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2015, 02:56:54 AM »
So I was given a copy of this game on Steam called Loren the Amazon Princess! I'm about two or three hours in but it's quite fun! Imagine like... Dragon Age, only made by indie developers in the early 2000s. I guess more accurately it's an RPG with some visual novel elements! It's got a really nostalgic feel to it, too~ and the characters are really sweet in their own way <3

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
If anyone's interested, me and a friend are getting into the DayZ standalone properly today/tomorrow and anyone's welcome to join because it's so unforgiving. ;-;

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #388 on: August 15, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
who's hyped for MGSV:TPP

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt