Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146560 times)

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 03, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
Anyone play Final Fantasy 14? I've been considering getting it-although I don't know yet if I've got the hardware to properly run it- because I've seen so many cool videos of people playing. It looks awesome! How do y'all like it? Is it difficult to get into/a high learning curve? Do you have to put in a lot of hours to get the most out of it, since its pay-per-month? That's the one thing that's bothered me the most; I don't play too many video games, so I'm afraid I'd have to slave away at FF14 all week every week just to get my money's worth per month. :(
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »
I've found myself playing The Sims 3 for no clear reason whatsoever. I've decided to make the main heroes of SSSS, using various panels from the comic as reference material.

Spoiler: So far, Lalli, Emil and Tuuri are ready • show

Lalli:

The favourite food choice is rather obvious here. Also, Lalli is a warlock. The outfit is from the Dragon Valley DLC, if I'm not mistaken.

Emil:

His outfit here is based off the one he wore during his time in Mora.

Tuuri:

I really like how her face turned out; she looks a bit older than she really is, though.

I also tried to recreate the expedition's cat - unfortunately the heart shape on the head can't be made here.

I'll make Sigrun or Mikkel next. I don't know what I'll do with them, but I think I'll test the Awesomemod's story progression fixes by placing them somewhere and then playing as someone else for a prolonged period of time.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
I've found myself playing The Sims 3 for no clear reason whatsoever. I've decided to make the main heroes of SSSS, using various panels from the comic as reference material.

Spoiler: So far, Lalli, Emil and Tuuri are ready • show

Lalli:

The favourite food choice is rather obvious here. Also, Lalli is a warlock. The outfit is from the Dragon Valley DLC, if I'm not mistaken.

Emil:

His outfit here is based off the one he wore during his time in Mora.

Tuuri:

I really like how her face turned out; she looks a bit older than she really is, though.

I also tried to recreate the expedition's cat - unfortunately the heart shape on the head can't be made here.

I'll make Sigrun or Mikkel next. I don't know what I'll do with them, but I think I'll test the Awesomemod's story progression fixes by placing them somewhere and then playing as someone else for a prolonged period of time.

Wow, they look great! :D And the outfits came out really well, too. I had so much trouble with mine because nothing seemed to fit.
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #363 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
Wow, they look great! :D And the outfits came out really well, too. I had so much trouble with mine because nothing seemed to fit.
Their outfits and hair styles are a mismatch of content from various expansion packs and DLCs. I also used Create-a-Style to tweak the colours of various outfits.

Spoiler: Here is Mikkel, by the way • show

CAS is an awesome thing. Too bad EA removed it from The Sims 4.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Sigrun and Reynir • show

Everything on Reynir, from head to toes, can be described as "at least somewhat similar".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:50:45 PM by Guardian G.I. »
Very rusty:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #364 on: July 13, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »
Inspired by Guardian G.I, I decided to start playing Skyrim again and try making the cast... I've only succeeded at one o far, but I'm kinda proud he turned out so well despite lack of references!
So behold, it's Mikkel!
Spoiler: show

I think I'll try for Sigrun next, or maybe Emil... Tuuri will be the toughest, no doubt about that.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #365 on: July 24, 2015, 04:09:52 AM »
Just Cause 3 is going to be so awesome.

Very rusty:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #366 on: July 27, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »
Ok, one definite downside to the whole convention going was that all the NCC teams were given one big room to sleep in on air mattresses, with ac that you couldn't set yourself and very thin blankets... add one person with a cold and you have the whole team Iceland ill today. Welp, since the day was going down the drain and I had been keeping myself away from Bayonetta that I got earlier this year, saving it as an after-convention treat, it was obviously time to start on it.

...it's quite a ride. The angels you're fighting are terrifying and pretty hard to kill, and you get started on the massive ones right from the start. And there's so many of them! No warnings for where the next boss battle will be suddenly sprung on your face - like you know, usually in a game you start noticing little signs like a suspicious amount of health and energy fixing items, a large room appearing, a whole LOT of bass in the music all of a sudden. Bayonetta gives no warnings, you'll be happily jogging your way through a town when plop, BOSS BATTLE, no wait, haha, you thought that gigantic monstrosity you just killed was the boss? THIS IS THE REAL BOSS. LOOMING BEHIND THIS BUILDING HERE. Have fun.

In fact it is the most fun I've had with a game for a while, although if you sat in the same room with me playing it it would probably be a bit hard to tell among all the flailing around with the controller and bad language, which takes me to my only whine: you have to time certain actions so precisely to succeed that they're very hard to get right. Took me ages and a few rage quits to cross one bridge (my rage quits last for about five min and then I'll angrily return to try again until the next one) to name one example. All in all A+++ game experience so far and good thing I saved it until after con because it eats away several hours in a blink of an eye.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #367 on: July 27, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
Ok, one definite downside to the whole convention going was that all the NCC teams were given one big room to sleep in on air mattresses, with ac that you couldn't set yourself and very thin blankets... add one person with a cold and you have the whole team Iceland ill today. Welp, since the day was going down the drain and I had been keeping myself away from Bayonetta that I got earlier this year, saving it as an after-convention treat, it was obviously time to start on it.

...it's quite a ride. The angels you're fighting are terrifying and pretty hard to kill, and you get started on the massive ones right from the start. And there's so many of them! No warnings for where the next boss battle will be suddenly sprung on your face - like you know, usually in a game you start noticing little signs like a suspicious amount of health and energy fixing items, a large room appearing, a whole LOT of bass in the music all of a sudden. Bayonetta gives no warnings, you'll be happily jogging your way through a town when plop, BOSS BATTLE, no wait, haha, you thought that gigantic monstrosity you just killed was the boss? THIS IS THE REAL BOSS. LOOMING BEHIND THIS BUILDING HERE. Have fun.

In fact it is the most fun I've had with a game for a while, although if you sat in the same room with me playing it it would probably be a bit hard to tell among all the flailing around with the controller and bad language, which takes me to my only whine: you have to time certain actions so precisely to succeed that they're very hard to get right. Took me ages and a few rage quits to cross one bridge (my rage quits last for about five min and then I'll angrily return to try again until the next one) to name one example. All in all A+++ game experience so far and good thing I saved it until after con because it eats away several hours in a blink of an eye.

I think Bayonetta is often unfairly dismissed based on the concept. I for one dismissed it when it was announced as some cheap quicktime-event Japanese fetishist game. And then, when it came out, it was surprisingly critically acclaimed. The sequel got even higher ratings. So I guess the game isn't so much a game for the Japanese otaku audience as one would think.

Maybe you found some inspiration for the next NCC. You're basically a pleather-svenne (or whatever the term for journeyman is in Icelandic) now after all, and bayonetta is nothing but pleather. It's not that different from flemeth and there's plenty of jewelry to be made.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #368 on: July 27, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
I think Bayonetta is often unfairly dismissed based on the concept. I for one dismissed it when it was announced as some cheap quicktime-event Japanese fetishist game. And then, when it came out, it was surprisingly critically acclaimed. The sequel got even higher ratings. So I guess the game isn't so much a game for the Japanese otaku audience as one would think.

I'm going to agree with this wholeheartedly. This is definitely not a typical tits&ass game and you're playing quite an impressive character, I haven't gotten very far in the game yet but I can already tell there's plenty more to Bayo than what meets the eye, so to speak.

Maybe you found some inspiration for the next NCC. You're basically a pleather-svenne (or whatever the term for journeyman is in Icelandic) now after all, and bayonetta is nothing but pleather. It's not that different from flemeth and there's plenty of jewelry to be made.

NO FIMBY NONONO this is exactly the kind of thing you should not tell me when I'm really enjoying a game/anime/manga/webcomic/whatever! D: I'm a shorty so I'm going to need gigantic heels, use some kind of skin colour fabric to hide my back tats and I guess some sit-ups wouldn't hurt and -
welp now I'm already thinking about it. I blame you. -.-

But Sigrun happens first.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #369 on: July 27, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
NO FIMBY NONONO this is exactly the kind of thing you should not tell me when I'm really enjoying a game/anime/manga/webcomic/whatever! D:
I know. You don't get the Enabler of the Year Award unless you know a thing or two about pushing the right buttons and dropping the right suggestions on the table.

Actually, I've seen loads of Japanese bayonetta cosplays, and Japanese people are kinda short in general (I think). I don't think there exists a person on this planet with legs that long though, heels or no heels - They're actually a bit creepy to look at. I'm fairly long-legged and I can at best knee myself in the throat unless I bend my neck.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:03:19 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #370 on: July 27, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
I'm fairly long-legged and I can at best knee myself in the throat.

I'm not, and I may have just spent a while trying to knee myself in the throat just to see if I could and now feel a bit silly. :P But yes, game anatomy is a scary thing... tall heels and a lot of denial will probably do.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2015, 12:48:22 AM »
... was anyone else aware that there's going to be a Mad Max videogame? An open-world videogame that's releasing in one month? Because I didn't know that. And it looks like it could be amazing.

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
... was anyone else aware that there's going to be a Mad Max videogame? An open-world videogame that's releasing in one month? Because I didn't know that. And it looks like it could be amazing.
I've heard a little bit about it and seen screenshots, but I think it's on XBoxOne/PS4 only? Kind of ignored it since I don't have either of those consoles
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »

Yeah, I heard. It's pretty rare for movie games to be successful, so I'm not expecting much from it.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »
I've heard a little bit about it and seen screenshots, but I think it's on XBoxOne/PS4 only? Kind of ignored it since I don't have either of those consoles

Actually, it'll be for PC as well. Hmmm...

Yeah, I heard. It's pretty rare for movie games to be successful, so I'm not expecting much from it.

But on the other hand, this is true. I'm tentatively hopeful for it... but still, eesh, history sets expectations to zero.