Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146672 times)

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »
so um... I'm sure some of you know this already but Humble Bundle is offering pay-what-you-want on Borderlands 1 and 2, and the DLCs... are these games any good? I heard some good stuff but mostly I don't know enough to spend money?

So.... should I get in on this? I don't play that much FPS stuff; Mass Effect 2 was pretty good though, that's about the only shooter rpg I've played to any significant length.

YES.
Play them! Actually, I haven't played the first, but number two is AMAZING. well worth it :D
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2015, 05:40:33 AM »
so um... I'm sure some of you know this already but Humble Bundle is offering pay-what-you-want on Borderlands 1 and 2, and the DLCs... are these games any good? I heard some good stuff but mostly I don't know enough to spend money?

So.... should I get in on this? I don't play that much FPS stuff; Mass Effect 2 was pretty good though, that's about the only shooter rpg I've played to any significant length.
Borderlands is a very different series to Mass Effect in terms of tone, but they're both still great games, I'd say get 'em.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »

I played a little Borderlands 1 with a very enthusiastic friend when it first came out and it was pretty good. I can't vouch for the single player aspect of it though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:36:18 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Tap10lan

« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
I've played quite a bit of Borderlands 1 & 2 (check out the Playstation trophy list for Tap10lan ... hmmm, you don't see details unless you're a friend ... Become my PSN friend, then! :D).

I like both games. You are in a fairly large world where you get main missions, small extra missions, and then you get various bonus points for achieving tons of mini objectives (can be killing X number of a given critter, then X plus 50, etc.)
Graphically they went for a sort of cartoony look, with marked contours on everything.
Large parts look like the Mad Max films, sort of.
Both games have a bit of a rowdy, wacky humour to them.
They are a bit of a loot fest, though. And the money you collect can be used to buy weapons, armor etc., but the weapons you buy are seldom as good as the loot drops (things you get from the enemies you kill).
And OH! One of the better things is that you can play coop. Up to 4 players can cooperate! Great fun!
IF you need a coop player on the PS3 for either game, I'll happily reinstall the game (I wonder if I've got my save files somewhere ... hmmm ...)
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
Thanks guys! I don't have a PS3 though, so I'm getting the Steam version
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »
I decided to buy it as well. Missed out on the steam sale while on vacation so this seems like an adequate option for throwing money at people.

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
Sims 3 is super addictive! When I first started it was all about making my OCs and having them do things, but now I almost exclusively mess around with houses...

I used to play Sims 3, but now I don't. It gets boring after a while - unlike the first two games, it's really hard to fail in the third game. The only challenge is the very limited livespan of the characters - without it, the game becomes really easy, because the skill gain stays the same.

It's really hard to make things go spectacularly wrong as well. There was a somewhat unhinged livestreamer (borderline insane Call of Duty fan with paranoia and a trigger temper) who used to play a very heavily modded Sims 3 for wish fulfilment - he roleplayed as his self-insert Sue character. Everything usually ended spectacularly wrong because of him ignoring game mechanics and various glitches - for example, he managed to lose his mansion to grilled cheese fire and ended up being alone, homeless and poor due to his attempts at gaining everything back the action game way. The bloody Sims 3 reliably drove him to tears in every stream.
Compared to his attempts to play the game, everything goes extremely well in my sessions, and that is boring.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
Me: "Oh hey, No Man's Sky is coming to PC. I've heard people are excited about it?"
*watches one video about the game*
*melts into a puddle of hype*
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
Me: "Oh hey, No Man's Sky is coming to PC. I've heard people are excited about it?"
*watches one video about the game*
*melts into a puddle of hype*
!!!!!!
*is now composed entirely of hype*
I mean, it's the game Elite wanted to be.

Tap10lan

« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »
Is anyone else disturbed/concerned?

I watched these two The Division clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0_3Ml9heY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beke2Bcpo2g

The game looks potentially sweet, but there's a game mechanic there that means I don't think I will buy it.
What do you think about the betrayal mechanic?
As you can guess, I'm not happy about it. I'm wondering what sort of community it will foster ...
Of course, it's possible betrayers will be heavily ostracized? I know I would do my outmost to hunt down such people, and I would also make note of such people, in order to attack them at any possible time in the future. But that's me ...

So what do you think?
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #355 on: July 01, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
Hey guys! As some of you know, we have a Steam group which until now didn't really do all that much. Eich and Fimbulvarg and myself have been playing Terraria, but we've had to do a rather complicated set-up that involved faking internet connections and whatnot

BUT!

That's all about to change.
Terraria released version 1.3 yesterday which, (finally) involves multiplayer steam support.
Which means we can all play together much easier now.
(There's also a bunch of other cool updates, full list is here for anyone interested)

So, Steam-havers and PC gamer people - does this seem like a good idea? Does anyone want to join?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #356 on: July 02, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
Hey guys! As some of you know, we have a Steam group which until now didn't really do all that much. Eich and Fimbulvarg and myself have been playing Terraria, but we've had to do a rather complicated set-up that involved faking internet connections and whatnot

BUT!

Terraria released version 1.3 yesterday which, (finally) involves multiplayer steam support.
(There's also a bunch of other cool updates, full list is here for anyone interested)

So, Steam-havers and PC gamer people - does this seem like a good idea? Does anyone want to join?

Yup, come one, come all! There's plenty of action to be had and more than enough vacancies to let in the dungeon.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #357 on: July 02, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »

BUT!

This sounds like an amazing idea, apart from the fact that I don't have Terraria (but I do have Starbound).
Might get it soon, but as of right now, I have 5p on my account thanks to selling a few CS:GO skins. .-.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #358 on: July 03, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
I prefer Starbound over Terraria. Recently bought Terraria and didn't like it so I got issued a refund. Oh well!

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #359 on: July 03, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
I prefer Starbound over Terraria. Recently bought Terraria and didn't like it so I got issued a refund. Oh well!
From what I've been told, most of the recent update to Terraria was heavily influenced by Starbound :) for what it's worth. I'd still like to try Starbound, just to see what it's like, but for now, Terraria is where its' at for me (since, you know, I already own it)

(as a caveat though, I didn't like Terraria at all until I started playing it with other people)