Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146675 times)

Tap10lan

Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 21, 2015, 08:46:34 AM »
Yeah. It's fun, but not good for you if you are competitive and have a low tolerance for nonsense game mechanics (like snipers shooting through walls and gunners refusing to target enemies in plain sight).

Hehe, yes, I watched Angry Joe play XCOM multiplay with some British guy, and that sort of thing happened several times. I guess you have to do it more for fun, than for competition.
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

Tap10lan

« Reply #331 on: June 21, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
Has anyone played Funcom's MMO The Secret World? (http://www.thesecretworld.com/)

I've tried staying away from MMOs very long, but now I've been stuck in Destiny (PS4) for a while, and I feel I either need to find an antidote/some other poison, or more people to play it with.

The Secret World looks like there is a LOT there, which is the thing lacking in Destiny. On the other hand I get the impression there may be some technical issues with TSW (whereas Destiny is extremely well crafted, and looks marvelous). Hmm.

So, anyone have any comments?

Funcom being Norwegian is of course a BIG plus! ;)
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #332 on: June 21, 2015, 12:13:16 PM »
I don't know if anyone's been keeping up with No Man's Sky BTW, but I don't think I've been this excited about a game since the Wind Waker. Like...
Scaaaale, maaaaan.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #333 on: June 21, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
I don't know if anyone's been keeping up with No Man's Sky BTW, but I don't think I've been this excited about a game since the Wind Waker. Like...
Scaaaale, maaaaan.
I have a No Man's Sky desktop, mixed in with ones for Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Journey, and Flower.  It's a pretty exciting thing!  :D
Feel free to PM.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #334 on: June 21, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
I have a No Man's Sky desktop, mixed in with ones for Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Journey, and Flower.  It's a pretty exciting thing!  :D
Ooh! Eich! Where've you *been*?
And my god, if No Man's Sky doesn't live up to the expectations, the devs will never be able to live it down.
But I really, really hope it will.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #335 on: June 21, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
Ooh! Eich! Where've you *been*?
And my god, if No Man's Sky doesn't live up to the expectations, the devs will never be able to live it down.
But I really, really hope it will.
I've been... playing Dark Souls and The Wolf Among Us, and soon will be playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
I'm actually kinda worried that'll happen.  For so long, people just had to imagine how the game would be.  The new E3 trailer showed more of what it will actually be, so hopefully that'll focus peoples' expectations. 
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #336 on: June 21, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
Some British guy

That would be TotalBiscuit.

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #337 on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:30 PM »
I've been playing Fantasy Life for a few days now- and of course had to make a Sigrun player almost immediately- and it's surprisingly fun and relaxing.
Although my longest-standing addiction has been the Sims 3. Thank god it worked on my computer, all the realistic houses...*_* I live vicariously through that game. *Sniff* I want a twenty bedroom countryside manor, too....
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #338 on: June 21, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
I've been playing Fantasy Life for a few days now- and of course had to make a Sigrun player almost immediately- and it's surprisingly fun and relaxing.
Although my longest-standing addiction has been the Sims 3. Thank god it worked on my computer, all the realistic houses...*_* I live vicariously through that game. *Sniff* I want a twenty bedroom countryside manor, too....
Sims 3 is super addictive! When I first started it was all about making my OCs and having them do things, but now I almost exclusively mess around with houses...
I've wanted Fantasy Life for a long time, sadly it never goes down in price :( Everyone tells me it's super good though, and it does look adorable!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #339 on: June 21, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »
Sims 3 is super addictive! When I first started it was all about making my OCs and having them do things, but now I almost exclusively mess around with houses...
I've wanted Fantasy Life for a long time, sadly it never goes down in price :( Everyone tells me it's super good though, and it does look adorable!

Yes, it's a pretty good game, but I did have to fight with myself as I was also unable to find a cheaper used copy. I'd say it's worth full-price, though. but good luck with the sales hunting! :D
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Tap10lan

« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2015, 06:14:14 AM »
That would be TotalBiscuit.
Yep, that's right. Going (sort of) off-topic now ;D :
I find it funny how they're both hiding behind cliché personalities/demeanours: Angry Joe as the uncouth American, loudmouthed and almost out of control; TotalBiscuit oh so stiff-upper-lippy, ironical, I'd say bordering on sarcastic.

I wonder how I'd have regarded them a while back. These days, I find it easier to relate to Angry Joe. At least he is communicative. TotalBiscuit hides his potential fanboyishness behind ironies, which means you need to belong to his culture sphere to correctly and accurately decode what he says. I gave up that sort of thing decades ago (although I'm sure I fall off the wagon every now and then), since I feel it gets in the way of communicating. Of course, some intentionally use ironies to exclude those who don't know the code. Or even worse, use irony to be actively nasty to others, and think it's OK, since they're not being openly unpleasant. All of this is truly barbarous, and cowardly non-communicative.
Thus, Angry Joe's (faux?) uncouthness is refreshingly direct to my mind. It does feel a bit contrived, potentially, so who knows if I'll be watching his youtube clips in the future, but today it made me expose you to a bit of a text-wall. Sorry about that. ;)
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #341 on: June 22, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Yep, that's right. Going (sort of) off-topic now ;D :
I find it funny how they're both hiding behind cliché personalities/demeanours: Angry Joe as the uncouth American, loudmouthed and almost out of control; TotalBiscuit oh so stiff-upper-lippy, ironical, I'd say bordering on sarcastic.

I wonder how I'd have regarded them a while back. These days, I find it easier to relate to Angry Joe. At least he is communicative. TotalBiscuit hides his potential fanboyishness behind ironies, which means you need to belong to his culture sphere to correctly and accurately decode what he says. I gave up that sort of thing decades ago (although I'm sure I fall off the wagon every now and then), since I feel it gets in the way of communicating. Of course, some intentionally use ironies to exclude those who don't know the code. Or even worse, use irony to be actively nasty to others, and think it's OK, since they're not being openly unpleasant. All of this is truly barbarous, and cowardly non-communicative.
Thus, Angry Joe's (faux?) uncouthness is refreshingly direct to my mind. It does feel a bit contrived, potentially, so who knows if I'll be watching his youtube clips in the future, but today it made me expose you to a bit of a text-wall. Sorry about that. ;)

Despite differences in style TB (or John Bain as he's actually named) and Joe aren't very different. They've both made their mark by being brutally honest compared to games journalism at large (e.g. In relation to the Rome 2 Total War "scandal"). While sites like IGN have shown themselves complacent towards major game franchises TB and Joe are both people one can rely on to always be on the customers' side.

Tap10lan

« Reply #342 on: June 22, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »
Despite differences in style TB (or John Bain as he's actually named) and Joe aren't very different. They've both made their mark by being brutally honest compared to games journalism at large (e.g. In relation to the Rome 2 Total War "scandal"). While sites like IGN have shown themselves complacent towards major game franchises TB and Joe are both people one can rely on to always be on the customers' side.
Yep, I had a feeling that was the case. Both come across as true fans, but in very different ways. :)
Foresty fanboy

Know it
Sort of
Manage
Basically forgotten
Enjoy guessing

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #343 on: June 22, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
Progress on INFRA!

Trailer:

Some gameplay:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/infra/x/10535982#/story

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
so um... I'm sure some of you know this already but Humble Bundle is offering pay-what-you-want on Borderlands 1 and 2, and the DLCs... are these games any good? I heard some good stuff but mostly I don't know enough to spend money?

So.... should I get in on this? I don't play that much FPS stuff; Mass Effect 2 was pretty good though, that's about the only shooter rpg I've played to any significant length.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: