Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146553 times)

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #270 on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
And here's the trailer!

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
And here's the trailer!
Spoiler: "First impressions" • show
1. It's very colourful, almost cartoonish, compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
2. The brief shots of the moments before the nuclear war are pretty nice. The animations are recycled from the previous games, though.
3. Seems like we'll have another Vault Dweller protagonist.
4. Landscape shots are okayish, thanks to the Skyrim's engine.
5. That giant airship looks like something out of Fallout Tactics. Also, we have proper weather system now.
6. The map locations appears to be the same size than the ones in Fallout 3.
7. Dog companions are back, of course.
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2015, 10:42:27 PM »

I AM IN LOVE.
Am notified of private messages via email.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #273 on: June 04, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
Spoiler: "First impressions" • show
1. It's very colourful, almost cartoonish, compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
2. The brief shots of the moments before the nuclear war are pretty nice. The animations are recycled from the previous games, though.
3. Seems like we'll have another Vault Dweller protagonist.
4. Landscape shots are okayish, thanks to the Skyrim's engine.
5. That giant airship looks like something out of Fallout Tactics. Also, we have proper weather system now.
6. The map locations appears to be the same size than the ones in Fallout 3.
7. Dog companions are back, of course.

I seriously agree with your first point. There's something about it that vaguely reminds me of Bioshock: Infinite. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not, I guell we'll have to wait and see! :)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »
My friend came all the way over the border with her xBox so I could play New Vegas for the first time in celebration for the new Fallout
I'm pretty hyped :D

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2015, 11:49:40 PM »
The art style reminds me of Borderland. A bit toned down, but it has the bold lines contrasted with a fairly light colour pallet compared to the previous games' more brown and gray.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »
On the subject of Fallout 4- the new Vault Dweller comes from Vault 111, the previous one was from Vault 101.
Hmmmm.
(You probably already noticed this but eh)

North

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • i am rage incarnate. your world shall burn.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
I'm currently playing Fallout: New Vegas, because I wanted to start a new game that was... sortof Skyrim-like and my boyfriend recommended it. I've played for 30 hours or so, and I recently made it to The Strip. I'm having some trouble playing for longer periods of time, because recently I get nauseaous really quickly when playing video games  :-\ Especially if the FOV is low, or if it lags or if the screen moves a lot. Usually it's only POV games (I think that's the right term? You play from a 1st person view, at least). It's really bad. If I first get nauseous, I'll stay like that for half an hour. Not recommended.

I even got nauseous when playing Spyro: A Hero's Tail some time ago. Getting sick takes some of the fun out of gaming. It's as if I get car sick/motion sick, just the oppsite. It's more like my eyes are saying that I'm moving, but my body is not registering that I'm moving, which leads to total confusion in my system that will be solved by nausea. Great.

Fallout: New Vegas isn't so bad, probably beacuse I can increase the FOV and then play with my PS3 controller, so I'm not that close to the screen ::)

On the topic of Fallout 4, I feel like I haven't played enough before to be really hyped about it, so I'm thinking of playing Fallout 3 after Fallout: New Vegas.
Fluent: :norway: :uk:
Newbie: :germany: :russia:
Pronouns: she/her

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
Usually it's only POV games (I think that's the right term? You play from a 1st person view, at least)

I even got nauseous when playing Spyro: A Hero's Tail some time ago.
For perspectives- generally people just use FPS or 3PS (first- or third-person shooter), even if the game in question isn't a shooter.
Also, I remember that game! Nostalgia-inducing, even though looking back it was probably pretty mediocre.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
On the subject of Fallout 4- the new Vault Dweller comes from Vault 111, the previous one was from Vault 101.
Hmmmm.
(You probably already noticed this but eh)

Bethesda is very creative

North

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • i am rage incarnate. your world shall burn.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
For perspectives- generally people just use FPS or 3PS (first- or third-person shooter), even if the game in question isn't a shooter.
Also, I remember that game! Nostalgia-inducing, even though looking back it was probably pretty mediocre.
Thanks! I usually only discuss games in Norwegian, so my vocabulary is a bit wonky :v
I'm a huge fan of the Spyro games, I only stopped recently with the Skylanders-thing which I really didn't like. Except for that I've been playing as many games as possible. Hoping to play through the original PS1 games in not too long, only for the nostalgia.
Fluent: :norway: :uk:
Newbie: :germany: :russia:
Pronouns: she/her

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Spyro games, I only stopped recently with the Skylanders-thing which I really didn't like. Except for that I've been playing as many games as possible. Hoping to play through the original PS1 games in not too long, only for the nostalgia.

I'm surprised people under the age of 20 consider Spyro 1 to be nostalgic, considering that the game was already quite old when they grew up.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
I'm surprised people under the age of 20 consider Spyro 1 to be nostalgic, considering that the game was already quite old when they grew up.
Well, I had a Gamecube when they were still pretty new, so I grew up on Spyro, Star Fox and Mario..

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2015, 06:14:03 PM »
Well, I had a Gamecube when they were still pretty new, so I grew up on Spyro, Star Fox and Mario..

Spyro the Dragon was a Playstation 1 game, released in the late 90s - though there were obviously later titles.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »
I didn't have a memory card that worked when I was a kid (had a third party one that didn't do anything but flare the f- up and promptly die) so when I played Spyro I had to leave it overnight to not lose my progress

It overheated but I managed to complete the game 100%!