Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146545 times)

Divra

Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
How did you get all those keys?

Tended bar at one of Coffee Stain Studios' office parties. It was the celebration of 4 million sold copies of Goat Simulator, I think... anyway, the CEO was handing these little key-cards out like candy and left a bunch behind for the staff. Told us to pass them out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:28:20 PM by Divra »

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
Tended bar at one of Coffee Stain Studios' office parties. It was the celebration of 4 million sold copies of Goat Simulator, I think... anyway, the CEO was handing these little key-cards out like candy and left a bunch behind for the staff. Told us to pass them out.

Whoa, that's awesome

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »
Oh boy oh boy oh boy
Not a valid youtube URL

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
Oh boy oh boy oh boy

^^^ That!

Also, just curious, has anybody played Nidhogg? Immensely fun, simple fighting game, great for parties and lots of insane laughter.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
Oh boy oh boy oh boy
Not a valid youtube URL

All that time and effort spent saving Earth in the first one and they go and MESS it all up between games. "Welcome back Commander" indeed. *********!

Also, just curious, has anybody played Nidhogg? Immensely fun, simple fighting game, great for parties and lots of insane laughter.

It's on the list of games I know from Youtube letsplays. It looks really cool but I haven't played it myself.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »
"TIS-100 is an open-ended programming game by Zachtronics, the creators of SpaceChem and Infinifactory, in which you rewrite corrupted code segments to repair the TIS-100 and unlock its secrets. It’s the assembly language programming game you never asked for!"

*adds to Steam wishlist*
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »
XCOM is coming out with a sequel??!?!! I am excited about this!  May need to start setting aside money, I might actually buy this when it comes out!

The trailer made me laugh.  Looks like an enjoyable game!  All of those wilhelm/movie screams are hilarious.

"TIS-100 is an open-ended programming game by Zachtronics, the creators of SpaceChem and Infinifactory, in which you rewrite corrupted code segments to repair the TIS-100 and unlock its secrets. It’s the assembly language programming game you never asked for!"

Nope, just went completely over my head.  You are a better man than I, sir Rollo, for attempting such a game.  I assume it's much more interesting than I'm giving it credit, but I am no computer programmer.

Just got my 100% completion trophy in Bloodborne yesterday.  The game is amazing, and anyone who has a ps4 should get it immediately.  I'm not sure where it will land in my top 10, but it's in there for sure. 
...Now on to Dark Souls. 

Congrats!  How long did it take you to complete, from start to finish?  I think it took me at least half a year to complete my first Dark Souls playthrough.  Also, is there a "newgame+" feature with Bloodborne?  I've made it to NG+2 (3rd playthrough) with my original Dark Souls character, and I still haven't found everything there is to discover in the world!

Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
I'm not a computer programmer either, but I love programmation-based game, especially those released by Zachtronics (though to be fair this one does seem quite hard-core compared to their previous titles [which aren't exactly easy either, but yeah]).
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »
Although I've never played it, I've seen my friend play it a lot on his laptop at school, so I think I have a general understanding of how the game works. It's pretty great when you have somebody who knows nothing about the game to try and play it (guaranteed to end in laughter every time).
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »
The trailer made me laugh.  Looks like an enjoyable game!  All of those wilhelm/movie screams are hilarious.
Although I've never played it, I've seen my friend play it a lot on his laptop at school, so I think I have a general understanding of how the game works. It's pretty great when you have somebody who knows nothing about the game to try and play it (guaranteed to end in laughter every time).

Indeed, the game is hilarious to have first-timers try. I reduced one of my friends to a squeaking mess the first time I played against him - you know a game's good when somebody who is getting dominated is laughing their head off about it.

That trailer, though... they're moving slow, and I'm not joking. Reaction-time is the other name of the game, and learning how to use the simple controls quickly and effectively is an amazing feeling. However, all those screams? Part of the game. death is funny, fast, and often unexpected.

My hearty recommendation for Nidhogg!

Also, I kinda want to try out Bloodborne and all of the Dark Souls games...

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2015, 10:55:56 PM »
I'm not a computer programmer either, but I love programmation-based game, especially those released by Zachtronics (though to be fair this one does seem quite hard-core compared to their previous titles [which aren't exactly easy either, but yeah]).

Zachtronics does have a penchant for the interesting!  I haven't yet tried them myself, but their other games do look quite good (in a puzzling sort of way).

Also, I kinda want to try out Bloodborne and all of the Dark Souls games...

I highly recommend them!  I also wish to heavily warn against them, or at least throw in a good word of caution.  Dark Souls can be rage inducing.  It requires huge amounts of patience and a huge amount of time to succeed, and still longer to master.  It's been about a year since I bought the game, and I'm still learning (albeit at a much faster pace).  I remember my first encounter with a mini-boss taking a good week to complete my first time, and that's just in one of the starting areas.

If you can make it through, and learn and succeed, it is absolutely rewarding, fun, and interesting.  If you can't, well, just remember that defeat is a part of life in Dark Souls, and maybe come back in a few days.  If you really can't, don't say I didn't warn you!  I got pretty close to quitting in the first month of playing, and then in the next, but perseverance payed off in the end.
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »
I highly recommend them!  I also wish to heavily warn against them, or at least throw in a good word of caution.  Dark Souls can be rage inducing.  It requires huge amounts of patience and a huge amount of time to succeed, and still longer to master.  It's been about a year since I bought the game, and I'm still learning (albeit at a much faster pace).  I remember my first encounter with a mini-boss taking a good week to complete my first time, and that's just in one of the starting areas.

If you can make it through, and learn and succeed, it is absolutely rewarding, fun, and interesting.  If you can't, well, just remember that defeat is a part of life in Dark Souls, and maybe come back in a few days.  If you really can't, don't say I didn't warn you!  I got pretty close to quitting in the first month of playing, and then in the next, but perseverance payed off in the end.

And that's exactly why I want to play it!I love games that require you to think, to master their skills, and yes, to make you rage a little. There's nothing better than sitting still for a while, bashing into a brick wall, then suddenly making a breakthrough. I mean, as much as I love games where I can feel like a master within a short time, conquering a difficulty curve is amazing. I actually love some of the Monster Hunter games for that reason - with enough skill, you can defeat seemingly insurmountable odds with naught but skill, strategy, and a touch of luck.

On that note, and a slightly different topic, I'm reminded of a game idea I had recently - a game focused exclusively on dueling and blacksmithing. A game where you forge your own weapons, customize how exactly you'll use them, then are pitted together in intense single combat. Focus residing on skill and foresight, rather than numbers and levels... that's what my dream-game is like.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Congrats!  How long did it take you to complete, from start to finish?  I think it took me at least half a year to complete my first Dark Souls playthrough.  Also, is there a "newgame+" feature with Bloodborne?  I've made it to NG+2 (3rd playthrough) with my original Dark Souls character, and I still haven't found everything there is to discover in the world!
It took me about... 2 months?  Can't really remember when I got it for some reason.  I haven't technically done all of the chalice dungeons, but... they're all the same, and I got all the trophies anyway.  And there iiiiiis a NG+!  Most best it is.  I'm on NG+2 right now, actually.  Sadly, there's not a whole lot to the game.  I think they couldn't finish everything they had planned, because it's pretty short.  There's an expansion in the works though, and that should come out some time this year.
If you enjoy games, get Bloodborne, or one of the souls games.  Bloodborne is quite possibly the most well made game I've ever played. 
Feel free to PM.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
Just sitting here waiting for the Fallout 4 countdown to finish

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
The official website of Fallout 4 went online for a few minutes and was quickly brought down:

Spoiler: Welcome home • show
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany: