Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146601 times)

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »
Are we talking tabletop? Pandemic is a good one, but so are 1093940890345 others...Or perhaps RPG?

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
Hmm, survival...
Have you tried The Long Dark? I love it because it's pure survival - you, alone, in the Canadian Wilderness. Dealing with cold and hunger and thirst and wolves... it's terrifying and difficult without being over the top, and the biggest thing to beware is ignorance. It's also got a cool minimalistic style, so there's that. It's in alpha at the moment, so be warned that it's still in development, but I'm very happy with even the current state of the game.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
Hmm, survival...
Have you tried The Long Dark? I love it because it's pure survival - you, alone, in the Canadian Wilderness. Dealing with cold and hunger and thirst and wolves... it's terrifying and difficult without being over the top, and the biggest thing to beware is ignorance. It's also got a cool minimalistic style, so there's that. It's in alpha at the moment, so be warned that it's still in development, but I'm very happy with even the current state of the game.
I know this one, haven't tried it myself, I think Markiplier mentioned it in a video. It does remind me of another one Don't starve, if you've heard of it. Not as serious as The long dark, but quite close in concept.
Personally I think the best is The Last of Us on survival mode, my boyfriend struggles quite a lot with it, even though he's pretty good. Then of course we have Day Z etc etc

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »
Anybody here looking at buying Rainbow Six Siege?

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
N- Nuh- Ne... Never heard of Journey?  :O
I'm definitely gonna recommend it, seeing how it's my favorite game!  :D  It's a PS3 exclusive, so that might be why you haven't heard of it, if you stick with PC and Nintendo.

My mom thought Journey was stressful as well.  Which is odd, because I picked it in part for how serene and relaxing it is.  And Luigi's Mansion is so lighthearted...  Moms are unusual.

I dunno - I found the sections with the flying rock monsters intense.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »
I dunno - I found the sections with the flying rock monsters intense.

That one scene always makes me jump. I know it's coming but it still manages to scare me... that said Journey is amazing and beautiful, A++++ would play many times again (though I suck at flying).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2015, 04:39:11 AM »
chinhands at this thread
hi guys :3c
has anyone here heard of the world ends with you for nintendo ds? its a square enix game that sOMEHOW NEVER GOT POPULAR?!?! much to my anguish, although you may have seen the characters in kingdom hearts dream drop distance! its honestly my favorite game and pretty much the only one im actually Good At, i l o v e everything about it 10/10 a++

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »
chinhands at this thread
hi guys :3c
has anyone here heard of the world ends with you for nintendo ds? its a square enix game that sOMEHOW NEVER GOT POPULAR?!?! much to my anguish, although you may have seen the characters in kingdom hearts dream drop distance! its honestly my favorite game and pretty much the only one im actually Good At, i l o v e everything about it 10/10 a++

I've heard so much about it, and I really, really want to play it. Blaagh, lack of money >.<
Just curious, has anybody played the original Cave Story? One of my favorite games ever - you can definitely tell it was a labor of love. Sorry if it's been mentioned before, too lazy to look at every post before I splatter my ideas all over the wall :P
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

John Candlebury

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • No John, you are the demons
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
Just curious, has anybody played the original Cave Story?

Of course, its possibly the best freeware game evah. Beating the literal bonus level of hell was some of the best fun I've ever had playing a platformer.

I really hope he does make a sequel someday, I would be willing to throw so much money at him...

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »
I finally, finally bought, and just finished playing, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

That game is the most beautiful thing ever. And man, I really like the way they worked with the traditional point/click type game to create this. I've played many, many point/click mysteries over the years, and this one... feels like how it should work. No automatically added clues, no on-screen notebooks, no UI that takes up 30% of the screen, no illogical triggers (like mwhahaha the story won't go on unless you specifically notice this unobtrusive suitcase over there in the corner or something equally weird), and the game's scenes aren't in a strict set order. They really did what they could to make the game as immersive as possible, and it pays.

Also, it's incredibly beautiful, without being hell to run on a mid/low-end computer. Incredibly interesting method they used to do that, too.

*vanishes back into ninja-mode*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:48 AM »
I finally, finally bought, and just finished playing, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

That game is the most beautiful thing ever. And man, I really like the way they worked with the traditional point/click type game to create this. I've played many, many point/click mysteries over the years, and this one... feels like how it should work. No automatically added clues, no on-screen notebooks, no UI that takes up 30% of the screen, no illogical triggers (like mwhahaha the story won't go on unless you specifically notice this unobtrusive suitcase over there in the corner or something equally weird), and the game's scenes aren't in a strict set order. They really did what they could to make the game as immersive as possible, and it pays.

Also, it's incredibly beautiful, without being hell to run on a mid/low-end computer. Incredibly interesting method they used to do that, too.

You will also then enjoy a game called Knock-Knock

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »

Ah, it sounds amazing! My soft spot is atmospheric adventure-y/ point-and-click games (in case you haven't noticed my constant repetition of "Sword & Sworcery is amazing") One of my peeves is definitely illogical triggers, because I'm trying to find out what's happening in this story darn you and why won't you let me progress.

The downside is that I have a very low tolerance of...hm...not exactly horror, but somewhere along those lines. Maybe it's just suspense/ anticipation? (I get creeped out just by walking around Dear Esther.) Sounds especially make me jumpy, but then playing without headphones kind of ruins the experience for me.

Riona

• Tumblr
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »
Hi! I dunno if I can post that here, but for those who know me i'm in the videogame industry and some of my friends are making an amazing RPG adventure, and I know that SSSS gamer really love adventure x3 So go take a look at it! Even if you don't pledge, just sharing the video game page would help!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/271033429/outward-the-adventurer-life-sim

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Five Nights at Freddy's
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
So I recently bought FNaF3 and have found it to be rather interesting. I refuse to play it with head phones in, cause sudden loud noises. I was wondering if anyone else here plays it/follows it?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »
So I recently bought FNaF3 and have found it to be rather interesting. I refuse to play it with head phones in, cause sudden loud noises. I was wondering if anyone else here plays it/follows it?
I don't play it (I can't play any games really ;-;) but I quite enjoy watching the videos of other people playing it ^_^ I don't usually like horror games (well, I LOVE them but just a specific type) but fnaf has the right balance of horror, a cool look, purpose, jumpscares and a creepy backstory... I also like it from a 'making' point of view, I like the design and concept, it reminds me of a really well done project someone in my design class might try and make :3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: