Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146676 times)

Ghostplops

• Super-Newbie
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »
Hmm, are there any PC games out there that anyone highly recommends? Multiplayer and/or Single Player is fine, too.
There are some that I've read in the thread, but I would love to compile them into one list, so it's easier to see and refer to later on.

You should check out Homeworld Remastered, a great scifi RTS! The remaster is great and the two games have aged overall pretty well. What else... Definitely check out Terraria if you're into side scrolling games and Minecraft, haha. Personally I prefer Terraria to Minecraft, the style is cuter and there's a lot of cool stuff to do and ridiculous boss battles. Oh yeah and Pillars of Eternity comes out later this month!! Definitely check that out if you're into RPGs, it's similar to old school Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Dragon Age etc. I am super excited about it.

John mentioned Roguelikes, I would also recommend The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Rogue Legacy! Both are pretty fun and are in the vein of "Dungeon Crawlers". They're on consoles as well, but I first played 'em on PC!

Hmm I am drawing a blank on anything else, I can recommend a ton of classic PC games (Deus Ex!!) but I imagine you might want something more recent :p
*Carl Sagan voice* BILLIONS

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »
You should check out Homeworld Remastered, a great scifi RTS! The remaster is great and the two games have aged overall pretty well. What else... Definitely check out Terraria if you're into side scrolling games and Minecraft, haha. Personally I prefer Terraria to Minecraft, the style is cuter and there's a lot of cool stuff to do and ridiculous boss battles. Oh yeah and Pillars of Eternity comes out later this month!! Definitely check that out if you're into RPGs, it's similar to old school Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Dragon Age etc. I am super excited about it.

John mentioned Roguelikes, I would also recommend The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Rogue Legacy! Both are pretty fun and are in the vein of "Dungeon Crawlers". They're on consoles as well, but I first played 'em on PC!

Hmm I am drawing a blank on anything else, I can recommend a ton of classic PC games (Deus Ex!!) but I imagine you might want something more recent :p
It just so happens that we've set up a Terraria SSSS-server. Old school pc games are good, I consider Knights of the Old Republic II to be the greatest PC game of all time (but then again that's not really that old school). Otherwise Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Corsairs and Army Men are some good classic PC games.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
Hmm, are there any PC games out there that anyone highly recommends? Multiplayer and/or Single Player is fine, too.
There are some that I've read in the thread, but I would love to compile them into one list, so it's easier to see and refer to later on.

Well, depends on what kinds of games you like, but one of my absolute favorites nevermind that I actually don't play very many games is Sword and Sorcery. A small, beautiful (and beautiful-sounding) adventure game.

In a more action-RPG vein, Bastion and Transistor by Supergiant Games. I haven't actually played Transistor yet, but based off Bastion and what I've seen of it...

I also play a bunch of roguelikes, but the nicest looking one would have to be Brogue, and even that one might be a bit...confusing.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »

Heh, I don't mind if they're classics, either. Anything and everything is welcome. :)
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Ghostplops

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »
Heh, I don't mind if they're classics, either. Anything and everything is welcome. :)

Oh ho! Well, you should check out Deus Ex, it's a great game and the storyline is still very good, one of my favorite games ever *0* I might be moderately biased being that I grew up playing it..
Thief 3 Deadly Shadows is kind of a classic now I suppose, while Thief Gold and 2 are wonderful they haven't aged all too well, hehe. Baldur's Gate 2 is my favorite of the Baldur's Gate series, and Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 are more great old Bioware games. Annnd off the top of my head there's Vampire The Masquerade aaaand System Shock 2 which is essentially Bioshock but in space but everyone looks like they left their polygons at home.

Oh and I forgot them in my last post, Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall are REALLY good! They combine cyberpunk scifi + fantasy and it's wonderful.

It just so happens that we've set up a Terraria SSSS-server. Old school pc games are good, I consider Knights of the Old Republic II to be the greatest PC game of all time (but then again that's not really that old school). Otherwise Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Corsairs and Army Men are some good classic PC games.

Ooooh really? I might have to check that out! c: 
And I second all those games, they're also very good, I played an ungodly amount of Age of Empires growing up haha.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:15:28 PM by Ghostplops »
*Carl Sagan voice* BILLIONS

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2015, 06:32:04 PM »
SO. The Elder Scrolls Online now has no mandatory subscriptions! Apparently they're replacing it with a membership that gives you stuff like in-game currency and extra experience points and things instead.

I am not complaining, not at all. I might be actually able to play the game now. *too poor for subscriptions* I was in the open-beta, it wasn't bad (actually a pretty nice MMO), and they've definitely improved things since. A once-off payment of $70 is something I can actually seriously consider. A once off payment of $70 and continued monthly payments of $15 was not.

(Quick warning, because I know this has quite a large possibility of occurring, please please please don't start any discussions on how ESO sucks or isn't a proper Elder Scrolls game. That's old news and everyone knows it already. Doesn't need to be brought up. Thanks!)
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
SO. The Elder Scrolls Online now has no mandatory subscriptions! Apparently they're replacing it with a membership that gives you stuff like in-game currency and extra experience points and things instead.

I am not complaining, not at all. I might be actually able to play the game now. *too poor for subscriptions* I was in the open-beta, it wasn't bad (actually a pretty nice MMO), and they've definitely improved things since. A once-off payment of $70 is something I can actually seriously consider. A once off payment of $70 and continued monthly payments of $15 was not.
Ah, so a premium account system. That's actually starting to become somewhat common even for sophisticated games (which TOS Online may or may not be, I have no bearing on that). I still wouldn't consider playing it though, simply because MMORPGs demand a lot of commitment to amount to anything worthwhile in my experience - which is why I never got involved in WoW when everyone else and their mums were.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »
Just curious, has anybody tried out Ori and the Blind Forest? I'm tempted by it, and the reviews are, well, unheard-of-level-good. With a starving student's budget, I'm very careful in my choices of games, but this looks like it might be the one I could fall in love with after Transistor...
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2015, 06:46:47 AM »
Ah, so a premium account system. That's actually starting to become somewhat common even for sophisticated games (which TOS Online may or may not be, I have no bearing on that). I still wouldn't consider playing it though, simply because MMORPGs demand a lot of commitment to amount to anything worthwhile in my experience - which is why I never got involved in WoW when everyone else and their mums were.

That's also the reason why I rarely play MMORPGs for fun - mostly it's just to check out how the battle system feels, the combat works, and ways they implement questlines and stuff. A lot of the time MMORPGs tend to rely on people who like socializing, too, and neglect the solo-play aspect of it, so that leaves me out of many, haha (I don't enjoy grinding all that much, and socializing even less). ESO is a bit different to me, though - I really do enjoy the Elder Scrolls world and lore, so I'd invest time in that if I had the option. Hence slight excitement at this news.

Just curious, has anybody tried out Ori and the Blind Forest? I'm tempted by it, and the reviews are, well, unheard-of-level-good. With a starving student's budget, I'm very careful in my choices of games, but this looks like it might be the one I could fall in love with after Transistor...

I haven't tried it out, but I've been haunting it since I heard about it a few weeks back. Watched trailers and gameplay videos and all that. Gameplay actually looks rather fun, and of course the graphics are beautiful~ I am 100% going to buy it, and I'll come back and put out my review on it once I've played it for a while. Initial impression is all good, though.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »
Something neato happened the other day.  I got my mom to play a video game! 
Well, I got her to play it a few months back, but she fell asleep 20 minutes in.  :P  But now she's feeling more energetic, so she gave it a shot again!  I picked Journey for her, because it only has 2 buttons, and has a very nice look and sound, which I thought might distract from the difficulty of... moving a player-character around in a game.  She kept thinking she was going to overshoot a jump, and pulling back to correct, but overcorrecting and falling down.  In the end though, she stuck with it, and beat the whole game in about the expected time of 2 hours!  *Is proud*  What's more, she said she enjoyed herself!  :D

Concerning MMOs, I feel pretty much the same.  I played some Runescape back in 6th grade, but that's about it.  I also agree that ESO has some appeal because the lore is all really fun and interesting, but I've also heard that the game itself isn't very good...  I think I'll just wait for TES6. 
Feel free to PM.

Alaron

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »

I suggest Last Scenario and Exit Fate. A pair of free RPGs, made by a single guy. They start out with incredibly cliché plots, and then set about turning them upside down, inside out, and every which way. The games of a good length, and the mechanics are solid as well, with some interesting elements.
Fluent: :usa:, Rainbow

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
Apparently 4Chan (of all places) is developing a Pokemon game with a South-American theme. Aside from some strange type combination it looks surprisingly good.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
Apparently 4Chan (of all places) is developing a Pokemon game with a South-American theme. Aside from some strange type combination it looks surprisingly good.
the Growmeo line is hilarious and awesome.  Same with the Chihaha line.
Also, I want that Jaguile.
Unfortunately, I don't think I saw a pseudo-legendary line?  That's, like, one of the most important parts!

Either way, I'm playing that demo today.  Thanks for the share.
Feel free to PM.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Well, by all accounts the Visual Novel/Dating Sim that 4chan made was actually really well-done and handled the subject matter nicely.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
Well, by all accounts the Visual Novel/Dating Sim that 4chan made was actually really well-done and handled the subject matter nicely.
That's not to be taken for granted though. As it turns out 4Chan made another Pokemon game, and, well; that one I won't link to.