Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146555 times)

Fenris

Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:47 PM »
Started making an SSSS mod for Civilization 5 a few days back (so far, finished the map itself in a standard-size and huge-size version, and halfway done with implementing a Trond-led Norwegian civilization(its fully functional, but has no unique unit or building yet), although its a slow process due to it being quite a number of years since I last tried to mod a civ game (I semi-remember how to mod the xml files, but have forgotten everything I learned about lua). Anyone care to help? The areas where I'm unable to do much is the graphical element (did make icons for the nations, and just using pages for the comic as a stand-in for leader and starting screens), and I have zero knowledge of lua left at this point.

My plans for the mod is to make a total of six civs (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia and Scotland), not including Iceland as a civ due to balance issues + couldn't fit Iceland on the map while making it large enough for roving trolls to be a serious threat, replace the tech-tree, units and buildings, disable faith, city-states and policies, and general revamps (changing barbarians into trolls, making culture and purchase of tiles represent cleansing).

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2015, 08:41:44 AM »
Started making an SSSS mod for Civilization 5 a few days back (so far, finished the map itself in a standard-size and huge-size version, and halfway done with implementing a Trond-led Norwegian civilization(its fully functional, but has no unique unit or building yet), although its a slow process due to it being quite a number of years since I last tried to mod a civ game (I semi-remember how to mod the xml files, but have forgotten everything I learned about lua). Anyone care to help? The areas where I'm unable to do much is the graphical element (did make icons for the nations, and just using pages for the comic as a stand-in for leader and starting screens), and I have zero knowledge of lua left at this point.

My plans for the mod is to make a total of six civs (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia and Scotland), not including Iceland as a civ due to balance issues + couldn't fit Iceland on the map while making it large enough for roving trolls to be a serious threat, replace the tech-tree, units and buildings, disable faith, city-states and policies, and general revamps (changing barbarians into trolls, making culture and purchase of tiles represent cleansing).
I like the idea, but I know nothing about 3d-modeling, animation and lua so ....yah. At best I could help you with 2d images.

Norwegian and Danish Civ leaders are fairly obvious but Sweden and Finland will be harder (unless Torbjørn, Taru or Onni can stand in as figureheads").

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
Speaking of which, I started a Steam group if anyone is interested!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ssss_fans/
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:40 AM »
Speaking of which, I started a Steam group if anyone is interested!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ssss_fans/
And we do have loads of fun on our SSSS terraria server run by Eich, captain of the SSSS-forum dungeoneering/spelunking/home furnishing squad.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
I've been really busy with school and such, but lately my time has been taken up by Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers, and Skyrim. Lots and lots of Skyrim. Like, way more than should be acceptable. I've also been enjoying watching my little sister's playthrough of The Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword - I had no idea that the concept of stabbing could be so difficult.

However, if I were to recommend a game, it would be Transistor. Oh my goodness, Transistor. The game that gets you permanently attached to a talking sword and a mute protagonist (hey, that sounds familiar) and sucks you in to try to get all of the achievements. The game that has beautiful hand-painted environments, absolutely astounding music (I listen to it daily), and the legal limit of charm in a a game where you only see one other live person. Throw in a fun and innovative combat system, as well as some great minimalist worldbuilding, and well... wow. Multiple playthroughs are encouraged, as they changed tiny things each time... It's also the first thing to ever inspire me to draw fanart. Seriously.

Only qualm? It's a little on the short side. Seriously, that's the only thing I can fault it for.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

EmmaC

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2015, 08:39:44 PM »
Before having my baby, my husband and me were playing Diablo III, The Hunter, X-Com Ennemy Unknown/within, Civ Beyond Earth and my beloved Civ III.
Now... I don't have time anymore, not even for Beyong Earth but my husband is playing the X-Com with the mod Long War, seems quiet interesting!
Fluent in :france:
Becoming fluent in english from :canada: (I learned there are differences!!!)
A long time ago in a far away galaxy :germany:

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2015, 05:50:07 AM »
Hello,
One sort of fossil here, but lets see, video games, here is sort of best games I remember and played or do play a lot.

Commodore 64 (so like 80'ies)
Choplifter
Uridium
Johnny Reb II

PC (Dos-win95) (so like 90'ies to turn of millenia)
Civilization (the 1st one)
Doom
Quake (with apocalyptica playing in background)
BatMUD
Hero Quest (quest for glory)
Heroes of might and magic 3

Nowdays
League of Legends
Trough World of Tanks to War Thunder (tanks)
tES:Skyrim
Civ5
Mass Effect 3
Borderlands 2

Of course, I've tried several other games, but those on list have at least tens, if not thousands of played hours in them.

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
Er...
I don't play any console games, so lets list some computer games I play.

1.Kingdom of Loathing kingdomofloathing.com (text based) Really funny with a whole lotta content

2.Wizard 101 (downloadable) I like it,but it leads you in then makes you pay real $$

3.Roblox(downloadable) Devoted far to much of my life to this(playing since 2008) The community is full of jerks.And to add on the cake,racistjerks.

4.NetHack(downloadable) I'll get around to playing it,I swear

5. A Dark Room adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com(text based) Cool short game
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:50:38 PM by KicknRun »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »
Re: Roblox, I'm sorry to hear you encountered such jerks there, Kick'n'Run.  Especially since you must have started there when you were what, 6 years old?  That's rough for a young kid to have to face, when all you wanted was to play a game.

None of that idiocy happens here, I'm glad to say.  There's a small amount of good-natured teasing about nationalities, but that's as far as it goes.  The admins and longtime members like me want to keep this place friendly to everybody. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
I have been playing Cities Skylines a lot in the last two or three days  :D

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2015, 05:52:30 AM »
I have been playing Cities Skylines a lot in the last two or three days  :D
And? Is it good? I've never really played any sim-city games but skylines caught my eye.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
And? Is it good? I've never really played any sim-city games but skylines caught my eye.
Definitely good!

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2015, 10:06:27 PM »
Hmm, are there any PC games out there that anyone highly recommends? Multiplayer and/or Single Player is fine, too.
There are some that I've read in the thread, but I would love to compile them into one list, so it's easier to see and refer to later on.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

John Candlebury

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
  • No John, you are the demons
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »
Hmm, are there any PC games out there that anyone highly recommends? Multiplayer and/or Single Player is fine, too.
There are some that I've read in the thread, but I would love to compile them into one list, so it's easier to see and refer to later on.

Do you like Roguelikes?

Because I you do, I really do think you should check out Cataclysm:DDA, its about surviving after 5 different apocalyptic scenarios happened simultaneously, the predominant one is a zombie apocalypse though. Its also open source, if you are the kind of person who thinks of that as a plus.

The fact that I do lightweight dev work on it has nothing to do with my recommendation, nothing to do at all.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »
Do you like Roguelikes?

Because I you do, I really do think you should check out Cataclysm:DDA, its about surviving after 5 different apocalyptic scenarios happened simultaneously, the predominant one is a zombie apocalypse though. Its also open source, if you are the kind of person who thinks of that as a plus.

The fact that I do lightweight dev work on it has nothing to do with my recommendation, nothing to do at all.
Hmm, I've never heard of Roguelikes, but I'll add it to my list (On a sheet of paper). :) I'll check it out tomorrow!
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: