Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146682 times)

ftmshepard

• slowing growing roots (more or less)
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #795 on: July 24, 2020, 11:05:43 PM »
I've played 5, and am playing through 5r! Never had the hardware for the others, alas.
know: :usa:/ :canada: || extremely familiar: :vaticancity: learning: :mexico: :brazil: ancient greek || know the alphabet: :southkorea: :russia: || wish I knew :finland:

itstricky

• Tumblr
« Reply #796 on: July 25, 2020, 05:00:32 AM »
OH I love persona 5/5r! I actually lived pretty close to the new playable area that they introduced in P5r, Kichijoji?
Sorry if you answered this before but do you not have PC? P4g is on steam these days, but it certainly can be kind of weird going from 5 to 4 since the graphics and playing style are a bit different.
It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!

Guardian G.I.

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • and normal people close
« Reply #797 on: August 03, 2020, 07:43:20 AM »

Totally useless, totally fun.
Easily the best waste of my hard-earned 4 bucks (it apparently costs 6 in America, but whatever)
Also, check out the prototype of the game's building mechanics here!
Fluent: :russia:
Very rusty:
Can understand, but not speak: :ukraine:
Learning: :uk: :germany:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #798 on: August 03, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »

Easily the best waste of my hard-earned 4 bucks (it apparently costs 6 in America, but whatever)

I use it to prototype locations for my stories. It's quite fun.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #799 on: August 03, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
Hi all.

Now this game seems like an excellent waste of my time. I love building-games. (I probably played with the prototype for like the past 20 minutes or so...) Curses, if only I hadn´t forgotten the password to my steam-account! (I´ll remember it someday...)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #800 on: August 03, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »

Those sound effects make me exceptionally happy...I know it's irrelevant to the game mechanics, but it felt important to say. It looks like an amazing game! Definitely going to go play with it now instead of writing the papers I'm supposed to aaaaa
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Displayed Name

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #801 on: August 04, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »

This could be the perfect game for when I need to design a town for a campaign, and the design is really cool as well. I have to get it the next time I buy a round of steam games.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:38:57 PM by Lockscout »
Native: | Learning: | Enough to order food: | Maybe Ill try again someday:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #802 on: August 05, 2020, 03:24:21 AM »
Hello Displayed Name and welcome to the Forum!

We have an introduction thread too, do pop by there if you wish (it’s not required, just fun)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2020, 08:25:51 PM »
I don't know how many of y'all play Realm of the Mad God, but I've recently gotten back into it. I used to play it not long after it originally came out, so it's been... 6 years maybe? A lot of things have changed since then. But now that Flash is dying, they switched over to Unity so it runs a lot better than it used to. I'm Esarby (as in the letters s, r, and b) and the server I'm in tends to change depending on which ones my friends are using and which ones are full, but if any of you see me feel free to say hi!

Also, welcome welcome Displayed Name! It's always nice to see new faces.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #804 on: August 11, 2020, 11:59:10 AM »
Oh apropos this thread, Horizon Zero Dawn I gushed out about previously is now available for PC. I have no idea of the play mechanics as I’ve only played on PS4 (and still haven’t finished, I got it for Christmas) but the story, environments and machines are great! I highly recommend it despite it currently having only 6/10 on Steam.

I haven’t actively played anything for nearly two decades before this, so the fact that I have played over 100 hours and still have a lot of story to cover (plus the entire Frozen Wilds extension) doesn’t mean that a seasoned player would get a hundred hours out of it, but the main story is extensive and there are of course also the side quests. I have played in story mode so I can’t really die except by falling, so it’s good for anyone if I can enjoy it :) There are several levels of difficulty of course.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #805 on: August 15, 2020, 01:02:01 AM »
OH I love persona 5/5r! I actually lived pretty close to the new playable area that they introduced in P5r, Kichijoji?
Sorry if you answered this before but do you not have PC? P4g is on steam these days, but it certainly can be kind of weird going from 5 to 4 since the graphics and playing style are a bit different.

this year i played through persona 5 three times: once on vanilla (bought it shortly before royal came out and shortly before COVID lockdown began), then once on royal... and again on royal NG+. so... yea. i loved p5. it's climbed quickly to one of my top games of all time.

i played through p4g as well recently -- i actually bought a vita to play it, shortly before it came out on steam. but i played it in japanese so it was worth it anyway. also an excellent game.

currently playing through p3 FES (also in japanese) but i think i'm a bit burnt out on persona so i'm taking it slow. there are some quality of life improvements in p4 and p5 that i really miss. but i've heard the story is really good.

btw that's cool you lived near kichijoji! are you native japanese or expat? i keep thinking i'd love to find a job opportunity to live in japan for a couple years while i'm still young(ish)!
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #806 on: September 08, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »
So I just had to come here after I saw the Nintendo Direct that dropped today!

I´m a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda-franchise, though I never really got far in any of the games I played. I´m way more interested in the story and the world it creates then actually beating the game (so I tend to get very distracted doing sidequests...) That means of course "Breath of the Wild" is very dear to my heart with its wonderfull option to basically ignore the main quest and instead just explore the beautiful open world and find the history-bits scattered around. The cutscenes you can find there are mainly memories of a war that happened 100 years ago, like a movie you can uncover that tells how the world became what it is today. It was always kind of sad that the player could only experience this story in bits and in the form of memories instead of directly being there. But now they announced a spin-off-game set in exactly that timeline! I´m sooo exited! (No, I still don´t own a nintendo switch, which means I can´t actually play it when it comes out, why are you asking?) We will finally see the whole story! Eeeeeeeeee!

*cough* Sorry about this bit of random fangirling...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

itstricky

• Tumblr
« Reply #807 on: October 02, 2020, 08:26:28 PM »
this year i played through persona 5 three times: once on vanilla (bought it shortly before royal came out and shortly before COVID lockdown began), then once on royal... and again on royal NG+. so... yea. i loved p5. it's climbed quickly to one of my top games of all time.

i played through p4g as well recently -- i actually bought a vita to play it, shortly before it came out on steam. but i played it in japanese so it was worth it anyway. also an excellent game.

currently playing through p3 FES (also in japanese) but i think i'm a bit burnt out on persona so i'm taking it slow. there are some quality of life improvements in p4 and p5 that i really miss. but i've heard the story is really good.

btw that's cool you lived near kichijoji! are you native japanese or expat? i keep thinking i'd love to find a job opportunity to live in japan for a couple years while i'm still young(ish)!

I'm American and was just studying there for a year! My university was practically down the street from Inokashira park! I think I might head back for graduate school given the opportunity, but I know a lot of people who teach English there as well. It is definitely a very cool life experience to gain if you ever have the opportunity!
It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #808 on: April 16, 2021, 08:56:36 AM »
Well, months had passed since anyone posted on this!

I just happened to see an interesting promotion where 3 games with beautiful art are being given for free, no strings attached.
So I thought that some of you could be interested. I haven't played any of those yet, but I've played games freely given from that store and had no problem at all. The offer is temporary, only until April 22, 2021. (after that the free games are replaced by others, which means that it may be a good idea to check the site once in a while).
And you have to create a (free) account to download, and install their game launcher (also free) on your machine. But the licences for the games are perpetual.

I'll keep it under spoilers for those not interested. Remember I'm in no way connected with any of the companies related with this, neither I played the games. So this is just a suggestion from a friend.

Spoiler: show
It's the Epic Game Store, and the free games this week are:
Deponia: The Complete Journey
Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth
The First Tree

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Sevseres

« Reply #809 on: April 16, 2021, 03:10:41 PM »
That's great! I heard Pillars of the Earth is very good. And I played a bit of Deponia before, it was silly and fun. I got all three. Thanks! Also thanks for necromancing this now forbidden thread, I didn't even know it existed and now I can lurk through the recommendations wasting my time on videogames.

To put in my two cents, two games I played recently that were really nice are Outer Wilds and Spiritfarer. Outer Wilds is a space exploration game, but it's simply one of a kind. It's not like anything I know. Progression in the game is only through knowledge, no leveling up or new gadgets or whatever. And the story you unveil by visiting all these planets is really really great. The themes I think are perfect representations of optimistic nihilism and the atmosphere is eerily comforting. It gave me a good amount of existential dread but I still love it. Even if you don't play it I recommend listening to the soundtrack, it is also great. Here's one:

/>
Spiritfarer is "a cozy management game about dying". You play as the ferrymaster of the deceased, you take care of your souls and help them pass on. It knows how to make you cry and also gave me even more existential dread (I sure do have problems existing :') ), but taking care of the ship and looking after everyone is very relaxing. 2D hand-drawn style is adorable too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:20:41 PM by Sevseres »
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p