Author Topic: The Video Games Thread  (Read 146564 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: The Video Games Thread
« Reply #765 on: January 08, 2020, 12:49:36 AM »
Yeah, it’s PS4 only. Unfortunately, as it would be worth a try!

And yeah, I didn’t mean that all games should suit everyone (and that would be extremely boring!) but wanted to give further info as per your example. I should add it’s open world and there are lots of side quests and errands to run in addition to the main quest.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #766 on: January 11, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
HORIZON ZERO DAWN IS AMAZING. I LOVE THAT GAME TO PIECES.

You can all come over to my house and play it free of cost as long as I get to sit there and watch. It's so beautiful and the story is so fascinating and I've completed it twice and I can't even express my feelings for how much love I have for that game.

Ahem. I will go sit and be quiet about it now.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #767 on: January 11, 2020, 05:19:02 PM »
It is utterly delightful! And I love the fact that story mode is so easy, as I’m really struggling with all the controls and if it were more difficult I couldn’t cope. But of course there are the more demanding settings too. Although the last time I played I just got stuck into the Sigma Cauldron and I’m stating to fear I have to google how to get out  :-\
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #768 on: January 11, 2020, 06:44:02 PM »
God i love Horizon Zero Dawn. They could've just said "robot dinosaurs" and left it at that and it would already be a 9/10 game. But then they had to add in GORGEOUS visuals, a sassy badass female protagonist who's voiced by my favorite VA (Ashly Burch),  fun and engaging combat and a surprisingly deep and nuanced story with cool post-apocalyptic worldbuilding. So so so rad.

It's been a few years since I played and beat it, but it's the reason I got a PS4 and still one of my favorite games for that system. Talking about it now is making me remember there's a DLC I haven't played yet, perhaps I should do that or try the New Game+ at least.

There's even HZD content in Monster Hunter World for PS4, which is fun :D (and also probably the game I've spent the most cumulative hours over the past year, lol).

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #769 on: January 11, 2020, 11:45:34 PM »
God i love Horizon Zero Dawn. They could've just said "robot dinosaurs" and left it at that and it would already be a 9/10 game. But then they had to add in GORGEOUS visuals, a sassy badass female protagonist who's voiced by my favorite VA (Ashly Burch),  fun and engaging combat and a surprisingly deep and nuanced story with cool post-apocalyptic worldbuilding. So so so rad.

It's been a few years since I played and beat it, but it's the reason I got a PS4 and still one of my favorite games for that system. Talking about it now is making me remember there's a DLC I haven't played yet, perhaps I should do that or try the New Game+ at least.

There's even HZD content in Monster Hunter World for PS4, which is fun :D (and also probably the game I've spent the most cumulative hours over the past year, lol).

Yes play the DLC! It takes place in yellowstone national park and the volcanoes pools are so prettyyyyyy. Plus you get to learn about one of the other programs from GAIA and there's some awesome loot and weapons like a blowtorch kinda thing and clothing that heals you as you go.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #770 on: January 12, 2020, 08:36:33 AM »
It takes place in yellowstone national park
Isn't that a spoiler?

Anyway, now I feel bad for not being able to afford PS4.  >:(

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #771 on: January 21, 2020, 11:50:13 AM »
Small update on Mutazione which I talked about above: the developpers just added a gardening mode! You can now do the gardening part of the game without having to play through the whole story!
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #772 on: January 22, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
Did I mention that Mutazione also has an excellent soundtrack?

(ok I'll stop talking about that game now)
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #773 on: April 20, 2020, 05:00:33 AM »
Er, so, in a fit of utter insanity, I made a poem about Darkest Dungeon, and I know it technically belongs in the Scriptorium, but I can't bring myself to sully that place with my sad attempt at being artistic, especially after the Keep Looking's hauntingly great poem got posted there (yeah, sure, let's blame Keep Looking, great idea). Anyway, sorry, I will post it in the Scriptorium eventually, just not today.

EDIT: Moved to the Scriptorium, you can see it there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:48:29 AM by RanVor »

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #774 on: April 20, 2020, 06:10:15 AM »
Ran, this poem is amazing! As of 5 minutes ago I didn't know anything about Darkest Dungeon (I just read the wikipedia article, haha), but I think your writing can be appreciated nonetheless (and even more after gaining a bit of context). The wordplay and rhyming is done really well, and it conveys a very strong atmosphere.

As I once said to my mother, if you don't stop saying all this self-depreciating stuff, I will hit you with a spoon. No, but seriously - this isn't a 'sad attempt' at all - it's really good!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

LilG

« Reply #775 on: April 25, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »
After a whole month of waiting, my Doom Eternal CE has finally arrived today ;D

I got sick of waiting at some point and called to have it replaced with the Deluxe Edition, but literally the following day i got called back and was told that the CE was back in stock. Talk about a close call, eh?

Also, here's me with the helmet on:
Spoiler: show

It's a bit hard to breathe in, but otherwise it fits well enough.
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france:

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #776 on: April 25, 2020, 07:13:17 PM »
That's a really nice helmet. How well does it protect against COVID-19, though?  :P

I finished Darkest Dungeon for the second time today, and I think I'm gonna take a break. Well, not a total break, I might still do an occasional run or two, but I don't feel like starting another campaign anytime soon. So, like, an 80% break. I need another game to play, and the one that's been on my mind quite a bit lately is Heroes of Might and Magic, so I guess I'll go in that direction. I have an elf campaign started, I need to get through it quickly so I can get to the stuff that's actually fun.

LilG

« Reply #777 on: April 26, 2020, 07:58:26 AM »
That's a really nice helmet. How well does it protect against COVID-19, though?  :P

Well, it almost encompasses my entire head, so I’d say that as long as someone shorter than me doesn’t cough or sneeze upwards and beneath my chin, I should be fine ;D
Though, I would probably look even weirder than the people with gas masks if I also started walking around with it (if I were even allowed to exit my apartment bloc and go for a walk, that is).
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france:

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #778 on: June 08, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
Okay, it's time to cast resurrection on this thread while it's still freshly dead.

So, I recently found this
video, and it got me into a mood for talking about how awesome Gothic is and how much I love it. Most of you probably never heard of it, which is understandable, because it had virtually no marketing west of Germany. Still, it is disheartening to see how little recognition it got compared to (spoiler because of the unpopular opinion)
Spoiler: show
garbage like
The Elder Scrolls series. So I figured there is no harm in spreading awareness of that forgotten gem of action-RPGs. Who knows, maybe someone will read this post, tries Gothic out and ends up loving it as much as I do.

I don't really want to reiterate what the video says, so I'll just give you a basic overview. Gothic is a third-person open-world fantasy action-RPG created and released in 2001 by a small German studio Piranha Bytes. It tells the story of a convict in a penal colony enveloped by a magical barrier that makes it impossible to escape. Your goal is to make a place for yourself in the harsh society of inmates and eventually find a way to escape, which may or may not involve learning a couple of dark secrets regarding the barrier. The inhabitants of the colony are divided into three distinct factions, each with its own settlement, societal structure, economy and outlook. Each of them also offers different opportunities for progression, which makes aligning with one of them the most important choice in the game. (The sequel, while not set in prison anymore, keeps the three faction system and makes them even more distinct.) I'm not going to talk about immersive design, because the video explains it better than I ever could, but if you happened to play Witcher 3, know that the immersive design choices of that game were, as the developers openly admit, heavily inspired by Gothic. Both Gothic and Gothic 2 are not easy by any means (especially at the beginning), but the progression is incredibly satisfying as you gradually become strong enough to take on enemies that could previously one-shot you.

One thing that is, admittedly, somewhat problematic are the controls, which are rather antiquated and clunky. They get pretty handy once you get a hang of them, though. Just don't use the mouse.

That would be it for now. If you have questions, go ahead. If you feel insulted by my opinion on TES, by all means, come at me. I'm ready to argue.

If, by any chance, you got convinced by this post and want to try out Gothic, a word of caution: if you start looking for more information, you may come across people trying to recommend you to play Gothic 2 with the Night of the Raven expansion. DON'T. While otherwise excellent, the expansion cranks the difficulty up to a ridiculous degree, making it nearly impossible to complete without thoroughly planning out your character progression beforehand. That's because it was originally intended for veterans who already completed the base game and were looking for further challenge. Securing a copy of the base game without the expansion might prove problematic, though, so I would strongly recommend completing the first game before moving on to the second, to get a hang of how things work.

Oh, and both games are only available on PC, so if you only have a console, then well, PC master race, I guess.  ;)

Also, the main theme of the first Gothic, just for fun:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:04:27 AM by RanVor »

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #779 on: June 08, 2020, 05:52:08 PM »
If you have questions, go ahead. If you feel insulted by my opinion on TES, by all means, come at me. I'm ready to argue.

Being a TES fan (sort of), I can confirm that the series isn't really of high quality in terms of execution. However, a lot of people including me love it mostly for its lore and canon ambiguity. Everything is subjective from the start, so you can find lots of interesting interpretations of books, dialogues and game events and consider them all canon. Take The 36 Lessons of Vivec, for example. Was it written by Vivec himself? What in his sermons is true and what is propaganda? Did he actually achieve CHIM? All we can do is guess, and I think it's great. But unmodded Skyrim is garbage, yes.

Now, regarding the actual topic: I've seen many favorable reviews both in Russian and English and I think your post finally convinced me to try Gothic out! With the expansion, of course ;). But why didn't you mention Gothic 3? I know it's very different from the first two games, but is it that terrible? Also, what do you think of the remake so far?
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden: